This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

The big trip I have to make tomorrow. There is going to be a heavy snowfall, but it must be done.
    "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

The day started out okay. But the longer I sit here, the heavier my heart feels. I just need to not have time to think anymore.

Mostly art.

Comment

The dosage for my medicine was increased. I don't feel so good.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Just have to read through my exam paper one last time before I hand it in. That's hopefully the last one for a while...
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            In general, my willingness to suspend disbelief is directly dependent on how enjoyable the story and characters are... I'll overlook almost anything if I'm enjoying the storey, even if I recognise that it's inaccurate.
            I have the hardest time with one major flaw that all these shows have - the budget of the various labs & the speed in which their toxicology reports come back :P

Very few forensics labs (even in glamorous Las Vegas) can afford even a small percentage of the stuff they use - and they'd never get the kind of space they're given in the shows, either. Clark County's document forensics team is in a 10x10 office crammed with file cabinets & two big desks that are piled up w/paperwork & office PCs.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I think about the old movies where a secretary lives in a BIG apartment with no roommates..Or a simple lab tech is driving a corvette(Also think rush hour and the Cop that drives a Vett also) The Police shows where they have access to the very latest in super tech with no budget issues. Look for the money growing on the trees.
              t
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
                I have the hardest time with one major flaw that all these shows have - the budget of the various labs & the speed in which their toxicology reports come back :P
                I really like when they take a frame of video and "enhance" a 1 pixal dot so that it becomes a high definition 8x10 glossy, allowing them to see that the bad guy has a shaving cut on his chin from 500 yards away...

Why can't I do that with my camera?
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Because you are not a TV cop...or a TV anything...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Or when they run fingerprints and moan that it could take three days to go through the database... but ALWAYS get a hit within a few minutes.

I have the most trouble watching TV surgeons though... it's not hard to pretend you're sterile... DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING. I hate it when they touch their face or pull their mask down to talk. I can overlook the supposedly scrubbed assistant grabbing a non-sterile dish.... but the surgeon? Torey just thinks I'm picky. He's like "no one knows he wasn't supposed to touch that, it's no big deal".

Comment

Is it strange that depending on how the database(s) is/are set up that I think a few minutes is a more reasonable time frame?

Fingerprint scanners effectively turn your fingerprint into a unique and rather large number that they shove in a table with lots of other large numbers. Searching a database for a large number shouldn't be insanely long unless

1) You have a truly ****-off huge database
                      2) You have lots of databases, each of which must be checked individually
                      3) Both

I don't run prints so 3 days might be an acceptable time frame (I don't know all the factors involved in a typical search) but 15 minutes would be believable for me.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

NyQuil aint no joke. So yesterday I spent the entire day in bed high on NyQuil with nary a cough. So I set my alarm to go to work today. Woke up at 9am. Got to work at 11am. The assistant manager is like Medusa, you don't come in till 1:30 pm. You ok? Me? Nah. I'm heavily medicated at the moment. I don't know what day it is. I pedal back home in 15 minutes and nap for another 2 hours.

I'm a dum dum.

I made it through work relatively ok with my kleenex box and vick's vapor rub and DayQuil.

But I'm about to swig my NyQuil and enter la la land once again!
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          Is it strange that depending on how the database(s) is/are set up that I think a few minutes is a more reasonable time frame?

Fingerprint scanners effectively turn your fingerprint into a unique and rather large number that they shove in a table with lots of other large numbers. Searching a database for a large number shouldn't be insanely long unless

1) You have a truly ****-off huge database
                          2) You have lots of databases, each of which must be checked individually
                          3) Both

I don't run prints so 3 days might be an acceptable time frame (I don't know all the factors involved in a typical search) but 15 minutes would be believable for me.
                          I'm pretty sure it's a case of multiple databases. You have your federal criminals, local criminals, then databases for secure jobs like i was in a database for Iowa racing and gaming and there's state and federal employees who are put in databases when they get security clearance. I assume it's quickened in crime shows because the last common denominator for someone breaking the law is someone who had already done so.
                          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Ok,the super evil person. Must have big Money to be full time evil foe,or think part time evil person,part time working class stiff. All the super tech an evil enemy needs does not come cheap.

Can gain access anywhere while never being seen,has complete knowledge base of the good guy down to boxers or briefs...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

My cat is sitting on my shoulder. It is shaksy. Also I am hoping I don't have a cold....
                              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Trying to write out my schedule for the day, and how I'm failing at it.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                                X