X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
    That's how I wish weddings would be, not having to enter a marriage with insane amounts of debt or needing everything to be "perfect" or anything like that. I'd prefer a small ceremony in a park wearing cosplay and go to the courthouse and sign a marriage license to all that other stuff.
    These are things that can and are done. My wedding cost in total $7,500, which btw was more then I wanted to spend. My wedding dress $500 and that was after I got it altered. Yes there are tons of expensive venues and catering is outrageous, lots not even talk the price of cakes. I know the time and energy that goes into them and I know how much they go for but if you want a simple wedding, low budget then you can do it easy. You just have to be willing to work for it and plan it.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      Having lived with a devout Catholic for a long time, the LoH is less likely to care than your father. If he was that finicky...

Shrug, I've lived for years around someone who occasionally gets very straightforward answers to prayers. I would be ashes by now instead of around to make bad jokes about the LoH's sense of humor*.

*A place cleansing/banishing was answered by a Christian bookstore replacing the store I had an issue with. I have my issues with the LoH but he has a sense of humor. It's just mildly disturbed.
      I'm guessing by LoH you're meaning Lord of Heaven? But I do agree, there was a sense of humor I could tell when I was a christian, at least from what others said. I think because my father, and people within the denomination I was raised in, care so much, in my mind that makes me believe that Yahweh is like that. Just, obviously, he is a jealous god to a strange degree, and that bothers me.

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      Just speaking for myself, but I don't think you're coming across as whiny. You seem like someone working through a lot of stuff. That's a good thing and if talking about it helps, well so long as you're not sending long essay-like PM's unsolicited to multiple members, I don't see it as an issue. We can't all be sunshine and rainbows 24/7.

I'm working through all kinds of stuff myself and I'm not afraid to bare all if the feeling takes me. Especially if I'm excited about an experience or discovery. I just want to share! Everyone's different when if comes to what they will and won't discuss, but I think that's okay.
      Thank you, that really helps. But either way, I want to try to post more positive things. And no, I wouldn't be posting those kinds of PM's to people, that just seems a bit weird.

That sounds so familiar! And still, I have never been (at least officially) a Christian and my family has always been atheist. It seems like there is not escape for the good ol' guilt! At least not in this culture (whatever the definition of that is, after all there is an ocean between us). But at least you are aware of it. That is the first step. There are also online communities for ex-Christians if that helps. (Although many of them might be aimed for atheists. But at least this forum seems to have a board for people in other religions.)

And when it comes to being "whiny", I fully agree with Jembru!
      Thanks. And it seems to be more common than it should that people are dealing with this. About a year or two after I first converted from christianity, I had to avoid the subject all together, just because thinking about it would cause me enormous stress. I'm glad I've moved beyond that stage, at least. And thanks for the link!

Comment

I'm guessing by LoH you're meaning Lord of Heaven? But I do agree, there was a sense of humor I could tell when I was a christian, at least from what others said.
        Lord of Hosts actually. As titles go, it's one I don't see elsewhere and I haven't been entirely sure of the accuracy and appropriateness of using Yahweh for years so I just abbreviate Lord of Hosts to LoH.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I pick red plums that still have yellow in them. Because I like them tart and not sweet.
          Am I weird?
          I mean I am.
          But is this like weird weird?
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Not weird at all,I like them hard and tart myself.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Taking this job has really cut into my plans to hibernate this winter.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                These are things that can and are done. My wedding cost in total $7,500, which btw was more then I wanted to spend. My wedding dress $500 and that was after I got it altered. Yes there are tons of expensive venues and catering is outrageous, lots not even talk the price of cakes. I know the time and energy that goes into them and I know how much they go for but if you want a simple wedding, low budget then you can do it easy. You just have to be willing to work for it and plan it.
                I think some of it is markup, though. Like here, pastry chefs are trained professionals who charge solid amounts of money for their services, but the fanciest, most expensive cake I could find in my neighbourhood is still a hundred or so less than the "average" US prices. And that's not for a standard wedding cake - that's for a cake from the most expensive bakery I know of.

I respect the fact that vendors are mostly independent businesses and that they deserve to be compensated for their time, but it seems like if you throw the word "wedding" around in North America, you'll pay more for that service than you would for any other party, or than you would for a similar wedding service in Europe.

Comment

One week until the Breeders' Cup. I'm so excited!!!!
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Feeling confused, as if I'm getting contradictory signs every single time I meditate and try to get closer to my goddess or goddesses. I mentioned before it might've been Gaia, but I get the feeling that it's not her. Last night I almost felt like it was The Morrigan speaking to me, but I'm so confused I just don't know what is going on anymore.

I wanted to get a tarot reading from a famous youtuber, but after her first reply she hasn't replied any more. I might end up looking around for someone else.
                    Last edited by toxicyarnglare; 28 Oct 2016, 18:52.

Comment

Awww- just remember that you've always got a newb desperate for the practice!

So this morning I finally reached a trance state I've been trying to get into for weeks, and my goddess said in plain terms exactly who she is and what she wants from me. Then my roommate came in, broke my concentration, and I forgot everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                      I think some of it is markup, though. Like here, pastry chefs are trained professionals who charge solid amounts of money for their services, but the fanciest, most expensive cake I could find in my neighbourhood is still a hundred or so less than the "average" US prices. And that's not for a standard wedding cake - that's for a cake from the most expensive bakery I know of.

I respect the fact that vendors are mostly independent businesses and that they deserve to be compensated for their time, but it seems like if you throw the word "wedding" around in North America, you'll pay more for that service than you would for any other party, or than you would for a similar wedding service in Europe.
                      Yeah, they call it the "wedding tax". It's because they know you'll pay whatever they ask, because it's a travesty and shameful to your family if your wedding doesn't have cake, catering, a white dress (with hand-sewn sequins) and an open bar.

Comment

My stomach has been hurting. I thought it was just PMS from my upcoming cycle but now I'm not sure anymore since it's gotten worse and caused me to wake up at 3:17AM in the morning.
                        "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Yeah, they call it the "wedding tax". It's because they know you'll pay whatever they ask, because it's a travesty and shameful to your family if your wedding doesn't have cake, catering, a white dress (with hand-sewn sequins) and an open bar.[/QUOTE]

I so don't get that.

Our wedding cost $537. $88 for the dress, $112 for the beads and thread to alter and bead the dress (an off season beach wedding dress on clearance), 3 lanterns and flowers to decorate it (we carried lanterns instead of bouquets), the wedding topper and stuff to stack the cakes and icing/piping bag, $37 for the 12-pack of beer and $25 in gas money we paid to the ship's photographer,
                          $25 for the license, and the rest to the wedding chapel where we got hitched (you pay a flat fee for the services and then a per person guest fee for additional people.

I'm not counting the $80 speeding ticket my bridesmaid and roommate got when the she went to get the marriage license that Hubby forgot.

Our bestie (the CO's personal cook and baker--we don't do fancy titles...but the man makes amazing cakes and truffles) made our wedding cake, a three tiered red velvet cake, and we did our own invitations. We did dinner at a restaurant with our families, and that evening one of the guys from the ship that DJed on the side brought his equipment to another guy from the ship's house were we had a keg (donated by my LPO as a gift) and a potluck BBQ (the BBQ meat was a gift from hubby's LPO) at a friends place, whose kids even went to the trouble of taking all the Christmas lights and decorating their backyard.

Considering I always wanted to get married barefoot in Tower Grove Park with a follow-up potluck, it's not too far from my dream wedding. It's one day...it's silly to think you should spend all that for one day, which ultimately means nothing in the greater context of a marriage. I've seen more people spend a ton of money on perfect and have a shorty marriage that ends in divorce...I wonder what the stats re comparing cost vs. length....

Wedding are a racket....we've been married 13 years for a wedding that cost about the same as one month's rent in our apartment at the time.
                          Last edited by thalassa; 29 Oct 2016, 06:35.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
                            Awww- just remember that you've always got a newb desperate for the practice!
                            Thanks Chessa, I think I might take you up on that sometime.

Comment

Feeling confused, as if I'm getting contradictory signs every single time I meditate and try to get closer to my goddess or goddesses. I mentioned before it might've been Gaia, but I get the feeling that it's not her. Last night I almost felt like it was The Morrigan speaking to me, but I'm so confused I just don't know what is going on anymore.

I wanted to get a tarot reading from a famous youtuber, but after her first reply she hasn't replied any more. I might end up looking around for someone else.
                              Do you journal? All I know is what works for me obviously, but in my case journalling is really helpful for making sense of messages and whatnot. You don't even need to spend much time on it either. For instance, I have one of those week-to-view diaries where there's not much space per day so it forces me to be brief. I use that to scribble down any synchronicities, dreams or meditation messages as well as document any spells or rituals I've performed. It helps me to see the wider picture when I read back through and see all the little hints laid out together.

When I'm not sure about something I like to make spider diagrams in my spiritual journal and then see if I can spot repeating themes are whatever. Or if there appears to be a contrast, such as you're finding with Gaia/Morrigan, I try to see of there is anything that could bridge the gap. For example, is there a goddess that embodies traits that they both have, like a dark mother figure? Or could your patron be the triple goddess and she's showing you a different face depending on the phase of the moon (it is the time of the crone after all!! ^^). You don't have to be right. But you can throw about ideas and then let your understanding gradually develop over time!

Like I say, I don't know that journalling works for everyone, but if you're really stuck and haven't tried that approach yet, it might be worth a shot.
                              Last edited by Jembru; 29 Oct 2016, 12:13.
                              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessCravings View Post
                                My stomach has been hurting. I thought it was just PMS from my upcoming cycle but now I'm not sure anymore since it's gotten worse and caused me to wake up at 3:17AM in the morning.
                                That's how my appendicitis presented. If the pain is lower right abdomen, get to an emergency room and get checked out.
                                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                                Tribe of my Tribe
                                Clan of my Clan
                                Kin of my Kin
                                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
                                X