This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Artist Rant

So, looked through, and while we have our Rant thread, and our Gratuitously Cursing Rant thread, but with so many of us being artists in one form of another through multiple different mediums (writing, painting, music, wood working, metal working, knitting, etc.) I thought we really need our own artist rant as well.

Some place where the rest of us understand and have been through that pain. The days where just nothing seems to turn out the way it was looked/sounded in your head. The days where you have people basically wanting to use you as a tool to create their crap ideas. Days where some simpering craven base-court idiot who can't just listen to the simple adage of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" had to open their mouth and point out any imagined tiniest little flaw in your work and blow it entirely out of proportion and just be a complete jackass about it and ruin all the good you'd been feeling about all the work you put into whatever piece it was. Or the family member that just had to interrupt you while you were in the middle of a good flow of work only to have it all go away in that single interruption.

We get it, we've been through it, and feel free to post your own rants.

Anyone other than me want to start?
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Re: The Artist Rant

Great thread idea!

I don't have any major rants at the moment (but I will...it's the nature of the work), but I do have a gig in 2 days and a nagging scratching feeling in my throat. BAD TIMING, HEALTH.

Comment

I'm at a "my eyes are more skilled than my hands" stage, where everything looks AWFUL even though its actually the same as before, but I can see all my screw ups now. This is gonna be a bitch to power through, but it will only get better if I keep working so my hands can catch up. Usually this point leads to improvement, but is sucks so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
        I'm at a "my eyes are more skilled than my hands" stage, where everything looks AWFUL even though its actually the same as before, but I can see all my screw ups now. This is gonna be a bitch to power through, but it will only get better if I keep working so my hands can catch up. Usually this point leads to improvement, but is sucks so hard.
        This one WILL kick your ass, but after you are through it, things get so much better and easier.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          Great thread idea!

I don't have any major rants at the moment (but I will...it's the nature of the work), but I do have a gig in 2 days and a nagging scratching feeling in my throat. BAD TIMING, HEALTH.
          I feel ya. I've got a show on the 12th and I've been sick the last 3 days and now work the next two days with 12 hour shifts, plus normal ones after that so next to nothing to sell, and I get this feeling that something's gunna happen that's gunna set me off.
          sigpic

Comment

I assume fan artist are equally welcome here because I need to get something off my chest.

Bit of background here. The plot of characters of the Star Trek Reboot movie from 2009 has managed to annoy me to the degree where I have set myself the task of seeing whether or not the script can be salvaged, so I am currently in a rewrite process - yes I'm weird, never mind that - and seriously the plot. I mean a lot of it is nonsense, but that's okay I can deal with nonsense - nonsense is good. But the middle part of the movie is so selfcontradictory that I really don't know what to do with it. I mean Bob, Alex didn't you guys, I don't know, proof read or something before you handed this stuff in? *facedesks*
            Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Me, I just don't seem to have the energy and inspiration to draw lately. I want to, but I don't and I want to.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

The art department at the high school in town is so incredibly screwed up that I think I could teach it better.

Like really? You expect a class of 30 someodd kids to understand the elements and principles of design if its a) art 1, b) you've never gone over it before, and c) never given any examples?
                AND YOU SHOULDN'T BE LETTING THEM USE CRAYONS. have some self respect, bro

Comment

Screw Writer's Block; my bad job is giving me 0 motivation to sit down and continue writing my stories.

Meanwhile, in the music world: I still have not recorded the vocal parts of my solo album, which I originally wanted to put on Bandcamp this month. The blame also goes to the aforementioned job. I'm also suffering creativity shortage right when I started a new collaboration. Sigh...

Comment

I found a tumblr post that fits this thread soooooo well and it made me giggle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10251947_296309013868274_7631835931923476092_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	352305
                    sigpic

Comment

So, I decided a while ago to stop choosing between writing and music. Because writing earns me more money, it naturally gets the bulk of my time, but my practices are also getting longer and longer. I seem to be able to do both simultaneously, but it's my social life that's dying.

Comment

that moment where other people have cleaned up your things and now its all missing because you have no damn clue what they did with it -____-
                        sigpic

Comment

Incredibly disgusted that, 25 years ago the motion picture character effects industry was driven on actual artistic talent - drawing, sculpture, model-making and painting. Back then, my dream was to graduate and become a concept/character artist for motion pictures.

When I got to the point where I was in Uni, it no longer mattered how much natural talent I had. Anyone who could point-and-click with a mouse could create character/special effects art on a computer - no talent required. Now the field is so competitive because of all the "concept artists" out there that you have a ghost's chance in hell of breaking into the industry.

Comment

I feel the same way about photography.

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                            Incredibly disgusted that, 25 years ago the motion picture character effects industry was driven on actual artistic talent - drawing, sculpture, model-making and painting. Back then, my dream was to graduate and become a concept/character artist for motion pictures.

When I got to the point where I was in Uni, it no longer mattered how much natural talent I had. Anyone who could point-and-click with a mouse could create character/special effects art on a computer - no talent required. Now the field is so competitive because of all the "concept artists" out there that you have a ghost's chance in hell of breaking into the industry.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

That's kind of true in music as well, but it's also really easy to tell who's faking if you have any knowledge of the recording industry.

"Oh hello Autotune..."

"Oh, they used the Strike plugin instead of an actual drummer."

"This Trigger preset sounds bad."

My rant for the day: That moment when you start thinking you need a second 8-string guitar just so you can stop going back and forth between tunings.

Comment

Working...
                              X