This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Kemetic (Egyptian) Pantheon

It looks like everything on Aset (Isis) was edited out, can we get some info on her? Ra and Hathor also please?
    Circe

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=120.msg18894#msg18894 date=1291177164]
      It looks like everything on Aset (Isis) was edited out, can we get some info on her? Ra and Hathor also please?
      [/quote]

The forum snacked the post.

We were having issues with longer (and even the occasional shorter) post getting mysteriously truncated around the time that was posted.

Gardenia had a *huge* thread on the pre-crash forum, unfortunately a lot of that information was lost...and she *does* have a life outside of PF so it might take her a minute to information if she rescued it, and if not...well, well-researched posts take a while.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=120.msg18894#msg18894 date=1291177164]
        It looks like everything on Aset (Isis) was edited out, can we get some info on her? Ra and Hathor also please?[/quote]

I have the Aset information saved to my computer from before the crash, but it'll take me a little while to get it together for re-posting. I'll try to get to that this week.
        As for Ra and Hathor, I don't think either made it through the crash, so those will take me a bit longer.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I haven't forgotten about this thread, I just haven't had much time to post lately. Hope to get it updated again soon, though.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

ASET (Alt Spellings: Auset, Ast - Greek: ISIS) "Throne"

Aset is the daughter of Nut and Geb, wife and sister to Wesir(Osiris), and mother to Heru-sa-Aset(Horus, son of Isis). She is the power and stability of the kings, as we see in her name. In the Egyptian pantheon Aset was the devoted wife, perfect mother, and maker of kings as we see with Her son Heru. When Her husband Wesir was killed by their brother Set, Aset and their sister Nebet-het searched for Wesir's corpse, and made sure to give him a proper burial. Before this, Aset reanimated Wesir for a short time to conceive their son Heru. She protected and raised Heru to take back the throne from Set.
            In these series of stories we can see how Aset won her traits of mother and protector. This protective quality also makes Her one of the many Goddesses to carry the title "Eye of Ra."

She is also one of the Goddesses who protects the dead, and guides them through the underworld. She appears quite often in funerary texts.

Aset was also the Mistress of Magic (or as another title says, Weret Hekau, She Who is Great in Magic). She created scorpions using Ra's spit, without His knowledge. They stung Him, and She said She could cure Him only by knowing His secret name. He eventually gave in and told Her. Knowing Ra's (creator of the universe in this particular myth) secret name gave Aset power over all magic. She only told this name to Her son, so He would also have this power.

In later times Aset was synchronized with many other female names, and in the Roman era all other Goddesses were said to be aspects of Her. The spread of the worship of Aset as Isis is amazing.. She who stared out as a local goddess of the delta region took on aspects of many other Goddesses and Her worship spread far from Egypt.

Aset, holding her son Heru. She is wearing the sun disk with horns around it, topped with a crown. This form of her headdress probably happened when Aset and Het-heret(Hathor) absorbed each other's traits. In some cases, Aset only wears the sun disk and horns, and can be easily confused with Het-Heret. In earlier times, she only wore the throne.

Offerings to Aset can included roses and other fresh flowers, white wines, other sweet alcoholic drinks, milk, pomegranates, incense, and chocolates. She generally does not like offerings of pork.
            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

i have a question; can you write egyptian hieroglyphs?? probaly sounding like a stupid question, I'm just studying to be an archeologist and i'm learning to write egyptian hieroglyphs. So, the reason i'm asking is to find out if someone who practice the kemetic religion actually can write hieroglyphs....
              ~ flowers are our only garments
              only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkana night View Post
                i have a question; can you write egyptian hieroglyphs?? probaly sounding like a stupid question, I'm just studying to be an archeologist and i'm learning to write egyptian hieroglyphs. So, the reason i'm asking is to find out if someone who practice the kemetic religion actually can write hieroglyphs....
                I'm no longer a reconstructionist, but I can still speak a bit of the language, have some understanding about the structure and changes the language went through, and can read/write some hieroglyphs - mostly deity names, but some other words, as well. I personally never set out to truly learn the language, and what I did learn was just picked up from years of study, practice, and through fellowship with some other Kemetics. I did know some Kemetics who took classes to become fluent, or some people who already were (as well as some who were or were becoming archeologists).

The general consensus seemed to be that learning the language was a nice perk, but not necessary to the practice. Most people prayed and preformed ritual in their native language (English or otherwise). Most languages seem to have really solid translations available, so that was nice for folks to be able to look at the historical information, even if they couldn't go directly to the source.
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

all right it was just what I wanted to know. Thank you for posting this.
                  ~ flowers are our only garments
                  only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                    Djehuti (Alt spellings: Tahuti - G/R:Thoth) Meaning: Perhaps derived from an old word for ibis?

"Come rescue me the silent, O Djehuti; you are a well that is sweet to a man who thirsts in the desert! You are sealed to him who finds words, you are open to the silent. To the heated man you are hidden."
                    Sallier I Papyrus

Djehuti is the lord of writing, the patron of scribes, lord of measurement, of time, of wisdom, magic, and a mediator between good and evil - one who is always looking to keep the balance of the world.

The primary center of worship for Djehuti was Khemenu (Hermopolis), where he was the leader of the ogdoad - a group of eight creator Gods.

Djehuti is said to be the heart and tongue of Ra, the heart being the seat of the conscience and soul, and the tongue being an instrument of creation - in some creation myths the creator speaks the universe into existence, and in general words (spoken and written) were thought to hold great power.
                    He is best known as a god of writing, and he is considered the inventor of hieroglyphs, as well as the original forms of the book of the dead. Djehuti is the scribe of the gods, as well as a record keeper or all events.

He is also seen many times acting as a mediator between good and evil, making sure that the balance between the two is kept, and that ma'at is upheld. This can be seen especially in the popular myth of Heru-sa-Aset vs. Set. It was also Djehuti who helped to hide the child Heru and his mother Aset from Set, until Heru could attempt to claim the throne which was rightfully his.

Djehuti is also seen as a lord of time. Originally the year only lasted 360 days, and it is because of Him that the year was extended by five more days. When Nut became pregnant, Ra would not allow her to give birth on any of the days of the year. Djehuti won time from the moon god (sometimes Khonsu) in a game, winning enough light to form five new days (some say this is why the moon waxes and wanes). These became known as the days upon the year, not truly belonging to the year, and Nut gave birth to one of her children on each day. It is perhaps because of this that Djehuti came to be associated with the moon.

Djehuti is also a lord of magic. He gave the words of resurrection to Aset so that she could bring Wesir back to life long enough for Her to conceive a son.

Some myths place Djehuti as the son of Ra, and some He is self created. Sheshat, who is much like Djehuti in association, is often said to be his wife, although sometimes she is his daughter instead. Sometimes, Ma'at is said to be his wife.

Djehuti is most often shown as a man with the head of an ibis, and very often is shown writing with a scribe palate. Some say the curved beak of the ibis resembles the crescent moon. Djehuti sometimes wears a headdress with the crescent moon upon it.

On occasion Djehuti is shown as a man with the head of a baboon, or fully as a baboon as well. Baboons were thought to be intelligent creatures, with lunar associations.

Some of the titles of Djehuti include..
                    "Scribe of ma'at in the Company of the Gods"
                    "Lord of ma'at"
                    "Lord of Divine Words"
                    "Judge of the Two Combatant Gods"
                    among others.

Offerings included writing materials, paper, books, and ink. Scribes would turn over their inkwells on the ground as a libation to Djehuti. Instruments for time keeping also make good offerings.
                    Oh thanks
                    Is there any information about his personality, principles?
                    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                      Is there any information about his personality, principles?
                      I once read in Daily Lives of the Egyptian Gods that Djehuty could be known to be. . . well, kind of talkative. For example, apparently when Djehuty was sent down to help Aset, He spent so much time speechifying Aset finally told Him he was "voluble of speech". At best, Djehuty seems to be eloquent. At worst, He seems to be kind of, pardon my impiety, blustery.

My personal experience with Djehuty is that He's the kind of god who keeps things ordered and working smoothly; however, some people do get His trickster side. The two of us don't mesh well, so I've never gotten that side of Him. His devious side is best suggested by the story of how He won a few extra days in the year so Nut could have Her children. Another, less savory, story is how Djehuty manipulated the cycles of the moon so He could get more of the other Netjeru's offerings. Babi caught Djehuty out, accused Him, etc., but no one listened to Babi.

Djehuty strikes me as a bit jealous of the information He guards, or at least He can be. Witness the story of the magic book Djehuty kept at the bottom of the Nile in several boxes, surrounded by scorpions. The person (can't remember his name) who retrieved it saw a lot of terrible things happen to him. In fact, the guy died, if memory serves. So in that sense Djehuty is the guard of knowledge that mortals are not supposed to have.

There's probably some esoteric information to be drawn from the fact that Djehuty is considered the tongue of Ra, but my understanding of Djehuty isn't deep enough to explore that side of Him.
                      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Very interesting. From my experience, he wants people to learn things by themselves, and he won't tell something for free. I guess, that it's one of his qualities as he God of wisdom.
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

If you're still up for writing information on specific gods, could you do Ptah?
                          Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Domiel View Post
                            If you're still up for writing information on specific gods, could you do Ptah?
                            Sure! I'll try to write something up this weekend for you.
                            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                              Sure! I'll try to write something up this weekend for you.

Much thanks! I look forward to seeing what you write!
                              Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

I was wondering, if it's not to much I know you have a life outside of here But would mind writing up something on Taweret ?

Comment

Working...
                                X