X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Kemetic (Egyptian) Pantheon

Originally posted by Aniera View Post
    I was wondering, if it's not to much I know you have a life outside of here But would mind writing up something on Taweret ?
    This is a little off topic, but I thought you might find this useful.

Great One, Lady of Heaven, Mistress of the Horizon, Protect this mother. Lady of the Birth House, She who is Great, Mistress of Pure Water, Protect this child. She Who Removes Water, Cosmic Protect…

I'd reccommend fallowing this person, if you're really interested in Kemetic stuff in general. But I am not meaning to hijack Gardenia's thread, just thought it'd be good to share. ^^'
    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Domiel View Post
      This is a little off topic, but I thought you might find this useful.

I'd reccommend fallowing this person, if you're really interested in Kemetic stuff in general. But I am not meaning to hijack Gardenia's thread, just thought it'd be good to share. ^^'
      Thanks! I already follow that one

Comment

Thanks so much for posting that! Work, illness, and other writing projects have me a bit swamped right now, and I'm more behind than I realized. Hopefully that article helps you, Aniera, but if you have any other questions about Taweret I can try to answer them for you.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
          I once read in Daily Lives of the Egyptian Gods that Djehuty could be known to be. . . well, kind of talkative. For example, apparently when Djehuty was sent down to help Aset, He spent so much time speechifying Aset finally told Him he was "voluble of speech". At best, Djehuty seems to be eloquent. At worst, He seems to be kind of, pardon my impiety, blustery.

My personal experience with Djehuty is that He's the kind of god who keeps things ordered and working smoothly; however, some people do get His trickster side. The two of us don't mesh well, so I've never gotten that side of Him. His devious side is best suggested by the story of how He won a few extra days in the year so Nut could have Her children. Another, less savory, story is how Djehuty manipulated the cycles of the moon so He could get more of the other Netjeru's offerings. Babi caught Djehuty out, accused Him, etc., but no one listened to Babi.

Djehuty strikes me as a bit jealous of the information He guards, or at least He can be. Witness the story of the magic book Djehuty kept at the bottom of the Nile in several boxes, surrounded by scorpions. The person (can't remember his name) who retrieved it saw a lot of terrible things happen to him. In fact, the guy died, if memory serves. So in that sense Djehuty is the guard of knowledge that mortals are not supposed to have.

There's probably some esoteric information to be drawn from the fact that Djehuty is considered the tongue of Ra, but my understanding of Djehuty isn't deep enough to explore that side of Him.
          I would like to add that he chooses his apprentices and followers carefully (he tries to pick the once that like him, are seekers for knowledge) (no offence towards anybody), and sometimes gives his followers exams and challenges which are hard to pass. I had one already, it was not easy at all... -___-
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Aniera View Post
            Thanks! I already follow that one
            You're very welcome! ^^
            Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

I just saw the god Kuk, who is considered to be a night god and represents the darkness. Strange... Until now, I heard only about Set and Apep....
              The only place with data about him is wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuk

- - - Updated - - -

Has somebody heard about him?
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                I just saw the god Kuk, who is considered to be a night god and represents the darkness. Strange... Until now, I heard only about Set and Apep....
                The only place with data about him is wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuk

- - - Updated - - -

Has somebody heard about him?
                He's one of the Ogdoad, the primordial deities that existed before creation. Kuk and his consort Kauket represent the darkness and coldness before light came into existence. There really isn't much to say about them. The Ogdoad only really are ever mentioned in the creation myth and there's little information about them outside of that. Kuk isn't technically a night god though. He's just darkness. A closer match would probably be Nephthys though Kemetic myth (to my knowledge) has no proper "night deity". In the literature night is often a metaphor for death since all lifeforce comes from the creator Atum-Ra who personifies the sun.

Also Apep is not a god. It's the personification of uncreation. The serpent seeks to destroy Ma'at and drive the world to ruin. It existed in the void before creation began and wants to return the world back to it. It is the enemy of the gods and all things which exist. The ancient Egyptians feared the serpent so much that it's name was never written without being altered or destroyed in some way. Rituals were made in which figures representing it were destroyed to attempt to remove power from the demon. Each night he attempts to devour Re as the gods ride the boat of the sun through the underworld and plunge the world into eternal darkness as a result. He's cut to pieces by the gods who protect Re, usually Bast and Set, before regenerating and trying again the next night.
                “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
                -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                  He's one of the Ogdoad, the primordial deities that existed before creation. Kuk and his consort Kauket represent the darkness and coldness before light came into existence. There really isn't much to say about them. The Ogdoad only really are ever mentioned in the creation myth and there's little information about them outside of that. Kuk isn't technically a night god though. He's just darkness. A closer match would probably be Nephthys though Kemetic myth (to my knowledge) has no proper "night deity". In the literature night is often a metaphor for death since all lifeforce comes from the creator Atum-Ra who personifies the sun.

Also Apep is not a god. It's the personification of uncreation. The serpent seeks to destroy Ma'at and drive the world to ruin. It existed in the void before creation began and wants to return the world back to it. It is the enemy of the gods and all things which exist. The ancient Egyptians feared the serpent so much that it's name was never written without being altered or destroyed in some way. Rituals were made in which figures representing it were destroyed to attempt to remove power from the demon. Each night he attempts to devour Re as the gods ride the boat of the sun through the underworld and plunge the world into eternal darkness as a result. He's cut to pieces by the gods who protect Re, usually Bast and Set, before regenerating and trying again the next night.
                  Thanks for sharing
                  Hm... Apep is more sort of demon of uncreation than god, yeah.

But nothing written about Kuk being necessary evil or good god. Perhaps his character depends on his range and powers??

Comment

Thanks for sharing
                    Hm... Apep is more sort of demon of uncreation than god, yeah.

But nothing written about Kuk being necessary evil or good god. Perhaps his character depends on his range and powers??
                    The Ogdoad are neither good nor evil necessarily since they are forces of nature, even more so than the later gods, they just are. All the Ogdoad are personifications of different traits of the chaos that existed before creation. Kuk and Kauket represent the darkness that existed then and still exists when there is no light. They also are known as bringers-in of the light because the darkness exists before light and the dark willingly retreats to let light shine. Kuk is male so he has the head of a frog like all male Ogdoad, his wife has the head of a snake like all the females of the Ogdoad. Like I said they're not represented in myth very often so there isn't much to be said about them.

The serpent isn't just a demon of uncreation, it is it's personification. It's one of the only figures who is considered all powerful in kemetic myths. Chaos always exists. The world originated from it and will one day return to it. An army of demons does it's bidding because they fear destruction, or because they also want to bring chaos. By the New Kingdom the serpent was the single most hated and feared mythological figure. It cannot be reasoned with, it cannot be killed, it cannot be destroyed but can be delayed, it's unending hunger drives it to consume all that exists.
                    “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                    Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
                    -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

I get it now. Thanks very much, Corvus!

Comment

If you're still writing info about the gods, could you do please Khnum and Khepri?

Comment

If you're still writing info about the gods, could you do please Khnum and Khepri?
                          Sorry I didn't see this sooner! I think I still have some writing/notes about Khnum on my other computer, I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow.
                          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                            Sorry I didn't see this sooner! I think I still have some writing/notes about Khnum on my other computer, I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow.
                            Thanks. Take your time.

Comment

Working...
                            X