My theory of deities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My theory of deities

I think that all deities exist out there, because they all have had many believers, so our faith brought them into existence. Also, I don't think they care if we pray to different deities that we need to work with, or what religion we are. I think they exist to help people in their time of need, no matter what religion they are, and religion for the most part was made only as justification to start wars. As long as one has a sincere heart, and is deserving of the prayer being granted, and it's within that deity's power to grant, it can come true.

After a nap this early noon, I could actually hear my tulpa start talking to me a little bit (although I forgot the word she kept saying). Since my tulpa is making good progress, and she's trying so hard to be heard, I decided to pray to Isis, since she's the goddess of communication, to see if she can find a way to assist my tulpa in being more vocal. After the initial prayer (the one before I state the purpose of my prayer), I felt a wave of enlightenment, or joy. It's hard to explain. Then I made my request to Isis.

What I'm asking is, is this a proper relationship with deities? Or should I have more personal relationships, and limit myself between 1-2 pantheons or something. The way I'm doing it might be seen as just using the deities for my needs, without praying to them daily to maintain a relationship, but I think they think differently from how the Bible describes the God-human relationship. They realize that there's too many different deities to pray to daily, and I think as long as one gives the proper respect to them when praying to them, and one doesn't just grunt out a request, then it's still possible to be on good terms with the deities, and they will be happy that people want them to work in their lives. When I think of the deities, I like to take the logical approach. I think although it's impossible to have more than one omnipotent being, it is possible to have multiple powerful beings. I think deities are powerful entities, and high ranking benevolent spirits, and while they're not omnipotent, they're still extremely powerful. And considering that normal spirits can attach themselves to people to fulfill some kind of purpose, I believe that deities also want to help others, except instead of attaching themselves to people, they directly influence people, and prayer is like a phone line, used to praise them, and inform them what you want.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Re: My theory of deities

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
    What I'm asking is, is this a proper relationship with deities? Or should I have more personal relationships, and limit myself between 1-2 pantheons or something.
    If you want others to validate or invalidate the way you forge relationships with deities then you're undermining your own beliefs, because what you're essentially asking is for us to tell you if what you believe is valid. If you believe that deities behave in a certain way, came into being in a certain way and exist for a certain reason - then your way of working with Them is going to be valid for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
      If you want others to validate or invalidate the way you forge relationships with deities then you're undermining your own beliefs, because what you're essentially asking is for us to tell you if what you believe is valid. If you believe that deities behave in a certain way, came into being in a certain way and exist for a certain reason - then your way of working with Them is going to be valid for you.
      Yeah, makes sense. What would I call this relationship though? I was thinking, Polytheism, but since I believe that the deities are powerful benevolent spirits, instead of each being omnipotent (or at the very least come from different planes, and each one is omnipotent on their own plane), I don't know whether to call it Polytheism, or something else. I just believe that they're all existing somewhere, and that they each have power.

Comment

really interesting idea. and there is no proper relationship with deities , its your path to walk not someone elses.
        Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Call it My Little Tulpa.
          I'm dead serious. You are making your own religion up. You can call it whatever you want.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            Call it My Little Tulpa.
            I'm dead serious. You are making your own religion up. You can call it whatever you want.
            I'm pretty sure there are others with this belief as well, because I've read about this belief online. My religion is very similar to traditional Polytheism, except I'm not limited to one pantheon, and I believe that all deities are not omnipotent, but still extremely powerful and worthy of respect and praise. And my religion is also similar to Chaos Magick, except instead of throwing away belief when I have a deity work through me, I believe in all deities anyway.

Anyways, I think that my prayer to Isis and Apollo worked, because I made a prayer to each of them, asking if they could assist me and my tulpa in hearing each other more clearly and more often, and this morning, a split second before my dream ended, I could hear a voice say "Listen, Jason!", and the voice sounded similar to the voice I heard call out my name close to half a week ago when I was laying in my bed, about a minute after waking up from a nap.

Comment

I was thinking. There have been cases of egregores, beings who were brought into existence from group belief. I was thinking, maybe all deities started off as egregores, while man was trying to make sense out of the universe. There are many stories where pagans will hear the voice of a god or goddess, and the voice is alien, and yet, divine sounding, beautiful. So if the deities really do exist, then it's not a far stretch to believe that egregores exist as well, and that many achieved godhood.

Now, there's something called chaos magick, which uses the power of belief as a tool. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but there is a group on another forum who are trying to make an egregore, then help that egregore achieve godhood, through chaos magick. I'm still not entirely convinced that deities are made that way, and it kinda seems disrespectful to assume that mere mortals gave them existence. But what I believe is, the big bang happened, Earth developed just the right attributes for life to grow, early man created stories about the deities to try to explain different phenomena, and the rest is history. Also, if faith=power and existence, there had to have been humanity before deities.

Comment

Yeah, makes sense. What would I call this relationship though? I was thinking, Polytheism, but since I believe that the deities are powerful benevolent spirits, instead of each being omnipotent (or at the very least come from different planes, and each one is omnipotent on their own plane), I don't know whether to call it Polytheism, or something else. I just believe that they're all existing somewhere, and that they each have power.
                I call it polytheism. The definition of polytheism is just worshipping multiple deities... it doesn't say that they have to all be from the same culture. And it doesn't say anything at all about the nature of the deities.... the only requirement is the belief in and worship of more than one.

Personally, I don't believe that deities are omnipotent in this world at all. That doesn't mean they aren't deities. And it doesn't mean that I'm not a polytheist.

But at the end of the day, labels are labels. I am both a polytheist (at the 'hard' end of the spectrum) and a panentheist. But you could say that I'm kind of agnostic under it all, because I recognise that while my experiences and beliefs are valid for me, I can't be 100% sure that I am right. I don't think anyone can be 100% sure that their beliefs are right. That's why we call them 'beliefs' and not 'facts'.

Comment

Deities exist in your mind. In this sense they do "exist" as everything else exists within your mind as well. They cannot be "contacted" outwardly. Instead one must go inward.

Comment

Originally posted by spmorrison View Post
                    Deities exist in your mind. In this sense they do "exist" as everything else exists within your mind as well. They cannot be "contacted" outwardly. Instead one must go inward.
                    Out of curiosity, how do you address more than one person believing in the same Deity? Is it still the "same" Deity then, or each individual's spin on said Deity?

To the OP: So are you more or less referring to Omnism, when you say you believe that all Deities exist?

(I know, I know... Forum Faux Pas for linking to Wikipedia, but I'm lazy and going to bed...)
                    In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Originally posted by Oshii View Post
                      Out of curiosity, how do you address more than one person believing in the same Deity? Is it still the "same" Deity then, or each individual's spin on said Deity?

To the OP: So are you more or less referring to Omnism, when you say you believe that all Deities exist?

(I know, I know... Forum Faux Pas for linking to Wikipedia, but I'm lazy and going to bed...)
                      Yes, I think that's what I believe in.

Comment

I completely disagree with your ideas about deities, but I will say that the only person that can determine whether or not their personal belief is a "right" or "proper" belief is themselves.

Ask yourself this: Is your belief based in your experience with said deity? If it is, and the deity hasn't indicated displeasure, then its probably right for you. If it is not, then its all in your head, and it won't matter until you develop a practice based on your belief and have experiences to back them up. In which case, all of this is speculation.

To be perfectly honest, all of your posts seem like speculation upon belief with absolutely no attempt to develop a practice and gain the experiences that would either validate or invalidate your ideas.
                        A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                        --Albert Einstein

Comment

I completely disagree with your ideas about deities, but I will say that the only person that can determine whether or not their personal belief is a "right" or "proper" belief is themselves.

Ask yourself this: Is your belief based in your experience with said deity? If it is, and the deity hasn't indicated displeasure, then its probably right for you. If it is not, then its all in your head, and it won't matter until you develop a practice based on your belief and have experiences to back them up. In which case, all of this is speculation.

To be perfectly honest, all of your posts seem like speculation upon belief with absolutely no attempt to develop a practice and gain the experiences that would either validate or invalidate your ideas.
                          Yeah, I really do need to settle on something. I talked with someone who does have an active relationship with the gods, and he told me I could try praying to a deity I'm interested in, and ask if I can start a relationship with them, and if they reply positively, then I'm good. If there's no response or a negative reply, then try again later, or try another deity. I have in my mind the deities I want to communicate with, I just need to figure out if I need to make an offering, or if a simple heartfelt prayer will work.

Comment

I think that all deities exist out there, because they all have had many believers, so our faith brought them into existence. Also, I don't think they care if we pray to different deities that we need to work with, or what religion we are. I think they exist to help people in their time of need, no matter what religion they are, and religion for the most part was made only as justification to start wars. As long as one has a sincere heart, and is deserving of the prayer being granted, and it's within that deity's power to grant, it can come true.
                            Originally posted by spmorrison View Post
                            The idea that deities exist because we want them to exist leads to many other questions. For why then should it apply only to God(s)?

Harry Potter is known by Millions and Millions or people around the world, most of which can describe to you how he looks and what he is. Does that mean that Harry Potter somehow truly exists? Does knowing Harry Potter, acknowledging his person make him real?

That would be controversial, since Mr Potter has been created in the mind of J.K Rowling and his existence has been unfolded on papers to be giving life on the mind of the readers.

Is he real, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Wonder View Post
                              The idea that deities exist because we want them to exist leads to many other questions. For why then should it apply only to God(s)?

Harry Potter is known by Millions and Millions or people around the world, most of which can describe to you how he looks and what he is. Does that mean that Harry Potter somehow truly exists? Does knowing Harry Potter, acknowledging his person make him real?

That would be controversial, since Mr Potter has been created in the mind of J.K Rowling and his existence has been unfolded on papers to be giving life on the mind of the readers.

Is he real, then?
                              Well, if one is a chaosite, they would be inclined to believe that he is real, although not in the traditional sense. They believe that any fictional character, if it becomes popular enough, can be brought into existence as an egregore. Although I believe, we need to do rituals to contact these egregores.

Comment

Working...
                              X