This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal versus Non-Personal Deities

Among on of the things that I continually struggle with is the belief of whether the Gods are properly personal, as in being able to be directly communicated to by their worshipers (generally through ritual or prayer), or whether they serve more of an impersonal force. I would like to ask about what opinions you all have on the topic, if that's alright. :^^:

Re: Personal versus Non-Personal Deities

Well, I prayed to Isis to help my tulpa communicate with me easier, and to Apollo to help with clearer communications between me and my tulpa. Went to bed, and when I woke up, I heard my tulpa say two words to me, instead of one. And she was a bit clearer this time.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

There's both levels. They can show themselves as personal entities in dreams or altered states of consciousness such as meditation or prayer; but they can also be felt in subjective ways, or show themselves in a very non-human, marvellous, divine format. For example, in dreams I usually "see" the Goddess as a young woman, although she can appear as any sort of young women, with different looks.
      I did some long prayer repeating titles of different Goddesses and I felt a very non-personal force, very strong, very "untame", but also very good. Beautiful yet frightening, just like I believe the Goddess is.

Comment

I find that gods are personal--that is, you can communicate with Them through various means, and They can also communicate with others. Now how interested any one deity is in communication is another thing entirely. . . .(Like the God of Dark Matter I once met who just did not give a shit.)

The gods embody forces like love, storms, etc, too. They've got that wiggly-finger, mysterious aspect to 'em, too.
        Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I find the gods / goddesses to be both personal and standoffish in communicating with us. When needed they can be very personal and connecting yet if its what some might call routine observances then they can be standoffish as their communications doesn't need to be personal and direct. I will state though that I never equate personal to familial in the sense of seeing them as a big brother / sister, mother or father or any similar notion which to me is almost unduly familiar. Yes demanding, potentially controlling in expectations or demands upon a devotee but never exceptionally familial.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
            Among on of the things that I continually struggle with is the belief of whether the Gods are properly personal, as in being able to be directly communicated to by their worshipers (generally through ritual or prayer), or whether they serve more of an impersonal force. I would like to ask about what opinions you all have on the topic, if that's alright. :^^:
            The answer to this depends largely on whether one is a pantheist or a polytheist at the core of one's beliefs.

For me, as a hard polytheistic animist, the gods of mythology are distinct individual entities that exist in the Otherworlds. Some of us have the ability to communicate directly with them while others don't. Some of them have a personal way of communicating while others are standoffish and impersonal. They are each individuals, with their own personality and preferences. Which means that there is no one general rule.

If we are talking about an overarching idea of an impersonal divine power (which I also believe in, as a panentheist), then that's a bit different. I don't think that this divine power is an entity that we can communicate with on a personal level at all, but very much an impersonal divine force that interpenetrates and exists within everything. Our own internal spiritual interface can translate our connection with this divine force into personal images though, which complicates the matter.

Comment

I believe we can communicate with this enitity, Rae'ya. But it is something we can only communicate with action.

You see, as a pantheist, this base deity, energy, primal force, unmoved mover is present in all of us to an extent, because we are ultimately a literal part of it. Its understanding is our understanding, and we can only talk and listen to that force in the actions that we make, because we're going to dislodge energy and start cycles of actions that will lead to a conclusion. This is communication with the higher deity, doing stuff and seeing its consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Ektor View Post
                I believe we can communicate with this enitity, Rae'ya. But it is something we can only communicate with action.

You see, as a pantheist, this base deity, energy, primal force, unmoved mover is present in all of us to an extent, because we are ultimately a literal part of it. Its understanding is our understanding, and we can only talk and listen to that force in the actions that we make, because we're going to dislodge energy and start cycles of actions that will lead to a conclusion. This is communication with the higher deity, doing stuff and seeing its consequences.
                I agree, Ektor. But the OP's question was specifically regarding direct, personal communication. What you are describing here is not what I would consider to be direct, personal communication.

Comment

I've experienced direct, personal communication with Inanna on many occasions in various ways, so my answer would have to be that we can have that kind of personal communication.

I've had two-way conversations with her (telepathically) as I would with a spirit being, I've communed with her in the astral realms, and I've gotten answers to questions I've asked of her as synchronicities that were so blatant there was no question in my mind that it was an answer from her.

Comment

I have had personal contact with Cernunnos many a time. c: That's the reason why I worship him above other Gods; he's been showing himself to me since I was little, and more recently talking with me. Curtly and formally, but with me personally. So yes, I believe there can be personal contact between a deity and a worshipper. I hope this helps.

Comment

Lunar I do believe a that a follow of any god or goddess can have a personal relationship. In my experience, I have a personal contact with Brigid who has protected and contacted me through varies ways. She also has given me guidance on what path I would take to further myself spiritually in life. Lunar I hope my answer has helped you with your question.

Comment

Working...
                      X