This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

give me advice

so i was on facebook recently and got into an argument , now one of the first things they critisized was my religion . now my religion is a mix of theistic satanism and wicca along with various philosiphys , im a believer that everyone walks there own path and that it should be your desicion of what faith to follow and how to follow it. by the way sorry for bad spelling im in high school. any advice would be nice
    Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Re: give me advice

Some religions are really unaccepting. Dharmic religions for example are remakably open and tolerating, but we must always remind that we're usually surrounded by people whose religions assume they are totalizing and absolutely correct. Avoid those people, don't discuss religion with them, it's not worth it. Religious discussion is for people who can accept each other's views.

Comment

well it was about a band at first and then they found my religious veiws on my fb page , they were claiming to be pagans and wiccan and laveyan , and they were telling me my religions dont mix and that i didnt understand my own faith. i am having a crisis of faith. but thanks for your comment it helped
      Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Lots of things can mix, and even work well if approached with reverence and respect. Tell them that you are who you are and your beliefs are what they are.... Don't argue about it, explain what you think makes sense and are comfy with, but if they start making accusations, and criticisms, it's Facebook... Deal with them as befits that form of social media. Sometimes when we are younger (and much older) it's easy to let other people tell you something about you is wrong and believe it. Be true to yourself and examine what you feel within you, let that be your belief, the people who tell you that you were wrong can bugger off.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
          Lots of things can mix, and even work well if approached with reverence and respect. Tell them that you are who you are and your beliefs are what they are.... Don't argue about it, explain what you think makes sense and are comfy with, but if they start making accusations, and criticisms, it's Facebook... Deal with them as befits that form of social media. Sometimes when we are younger (and much older) it's easy to let other people tell you something about you is wrong and believe it. Be true to yourself and examine what you feel within you, let that be your belief, the people who tell you that you were wrong can bugger off.
          thank you this helped alot , and i repeatedly told them something along those lines. and thanks again

Comment

I look at arguments on Facebook much the same as I look at arguments on Yahoo! groups. Full of trolls and people looking to get their bigoted two cents in without really caring about what other people think, feel or say. Just don't indulge them. Don't let them make you into any sort of victim because that gives them power over you and what's the point in trying to be an individual with your own beliefs if you're going to let them squelch you into silence by letting them bully you. It looks like you're heading in the right direction already by keeping such an open-minded acceptance of what others believe. Good for you.
            In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Originally posted by Oshii View Post
              I look at arguments on Facebook much the same as I look at arguments on Yahoo! groups. Full of trolls and people looking to get their bigoted two cents in without really caring about what other people think, feel or say. Just don't indulge them. Don't let them make you into any sort of victim because that gives them power over you and what's the point in trying to be an individual with your own beliefs if you're going to let them squelch you into silence by letting them bully you. It looks like you're heading in the right direction already by keeping such an open-minded acceptance of what others believe. Good for you.
              thanks and i usually try to not indulge them but they kept at it critisizing every detail . just counted the comments 250 the majority were calling me an idiot and my religion doesnt work . those were really some relentless people

Comment

What exactly were they saying was not compatible? Because if you're going to have an argument, I rather enjoy picking apart people who think that they know what they're talking about when they really don't, especially when it comes to their so-called understanding of my beliefs.

If you don't like arguing, though - rejoice in the knowledge that people like that find something about you or your beliefs threatening. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                  What exactly were they saying was not compatible? Because if you're going to have an argument, I rather enjoy picking apart people who think that they know what they're talking about when they really don't, especially when it comes to their so-called understanding of my beliefs.

If you don't like arguing, though - rejoice in the knowledge that people like that find something about you or your beliefs threatening. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother.
                  well they believe that wicca and theistic satanism cannot be put together in one religion . they think that wicca which is a harmless religion and satanism cannot mix ,and they also say i dont know my own beliefs , and how i mesh these two together is my god is aries goddess is Isis and the (all) is satan and i practice using both of the religions. all they know is what they gathered off my facebook page which is the bare bones to what i actually believe

Comment

Religious syncretism has existed since people have had religion. You're simply doing what your ancestors did - you're finding your worldview and pulling arguments and beliefs by people that believed similarly to you.

Manichaeism was a mix of Persian dualism, Buddhism, and Christianity. Yezidism is a mix of Islam and the Left-Hand Path. Both the Left-Hand and Right-Hand Paths are valid paths in Dharmic culture.

Even orthodox Christianity is an amalgamation of differing and sometimes completely incompatible worldviews. Christianity is a mix of Levantine monotheism, Persian dualism and eschatology, dying-and-rising Mediterranean mystery cults, Khemetic life-after-death beliefs, and Greco-Roman demi-god and hero-worship. Tell me that isn't syncretic, eh?

You have two options to choose from: explain your beliefs in detail and defend them, or call them trolls and hit the ignore button. Thing is, you aren't obligated to do anything. Your beliefs are your beliefs. Tell them to piss off if they don't like it.

Originally posted by satanic witch View Post
                    by the way sorry for bad spelling im in high school.
                    Being in high school has nothing to do with how good your spelling and grammar are. You simply have to will to be better. Anyone can have enough initiative to be a grammar-Nazi. Some will have it easier than others.
                    There once was a man who said though,
                    It seems that I know that I know,
                    What I'd like to see,
                    Is the I that knows me,
                    When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post
                      Religious syncretism has existed since people have had religion. You're simply doing what your ancestors did - you're finding your worldview and pulling arguments and beliefs by people that believed similarly to you.

Manichaeism was a mix of Persian dualism, Buddhism, and Christianity. Yezidism is a mix of Islam and the Left-Hand Path. Both the Left-Hand and Right-Hand Paths are valid paths in Dharmic culture.

Even orthodox Christianity is an amalgamation of differing and sometimes completely incompatible worldviews. Christianity is a mix of Levantine monotheism, Persian dualism and eschatology, dying-and-rising Mediterranean mystery cults, Khemetic life-after-death beliefs, and Greco-Roman demi-god and hero-worship. Tell me that isn't syncretic, eh?

You have two options to choose from: explain your beliefs in detail and defend them, or call them trolls and hit the ignore button. Thing is, you aren't obligated to do anything. Your beliefs are your beliefs. Tell them to piss off if they don't like it.

Being in high school has nothing to do with how good your spelling and grammar are. You simply have to will to be better. Anyone can have enough initiative to be a grammar-Nazi. Some will have it easier than others.
                      thanks, this helped now that i know im not in the wrong for blending two religions, and yeah i just started ignoring them its been 24hrs and im gaining nothing from commenting with those people. thanks again

Comment

As you said you mesh Satanism with your Wicca. As a Satanist you should know full well how to handle people like this. Don't let them push you around. And don't give them the time of day.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                          As you said you mesh Satanism with your Wicca. As a Satanist you should know full well how to handle people like this. Don't let them push you around. And don't give them the time of day.
                          i tried to not let them push me around as is my normal policy but with 20 commenters all devoted to attacking me its kind hard to do anything. and satanism is my more dominant part of my faith. and im not making excuses i should have fought harder ,

Comment

Originally posted by satanic witch View Post
                            i tried to not let them push me around as is my normal policy but with 20 commenters all devoted to attacking me its kind hard to do anything. and satanism is my more dominant part of my faith. and im not making excuses i should have fought harder ,
                            No, I know it's not an excuse. I totally get getting caught up in an internet argument.
                            Guess what? YOU control the content on your computer.
                            Click away.
                            It's that easy.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

i know i left the argument early this morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X