"Don't Touch My..." TSA issuez.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Don't Touch My..." TSA issuez.

I would opt for the scan simply because I hate being touched by people. I have a rather large personal bubble when it comes to physical touching. Don't do it unless I say it's ok.

However, what does concern me a little bit is - and I have researched this so I don't know anything about it - what are the radiation levels involved in the scans? Minuscule, like a cell phone? Or more intense like an MRI machine? Then again, speaking of MRI... I subject myself to higher radiation levels just by going into an MRI control room to test the fire alarm there than one of those scanners. Those doors have multiple warning labels on it like "No electronics, cell phones, radios or pacemakers beyond this point" type signs.

If someone gets their rocks off by staring at my fat-ass on an xray screen... at least I'm making their day.

Side thought. I wonder if those airport scanners pick up on tumors...?
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Meanwhile, the terrorists know all about these things, and I'm sure, are figuring out something new to do.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

[quote author=Juniper link=topic=934.msg26328#msg26328 date=1293940506]
        However, what does concern me a little bit is - and I have researched this so I don't know anything about it - what are the radiation levels involved in the scans? Minuscule, like a cell phone? Or more intense like an MRI machine? Then again, speaking of MRI... I subject myself to higher radiation levels just by going into an MRI control room to test the fire alarm there than one of those scanners. Those doors have multiple warning labels on it like "No electronics, cell phones, radios or pacemakers beyond this point" type signs. [/quote]

I think this is a valid concern...people that already need to track their radiation exposures and levels either because of their profession (everyone from people that work in radiology or radiation therapy or nuclear submariners, rad health technicians), because they are frequent fliers, or because they have been exposed to radiation for theraputic reasons (cancer treatment), or pregnant women and kids, etc are particularly susceptible to the accumulative dosages of radiation and (IMO) shouldn't be scanned...and just because you shouldn't be scanned, doesn't mean you should be groped.

...but this is probaly more useful, information-wise
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=934.msg26389#msg26389 date=1293970609]

...but this is probaly more useful, information-wise
          [/quote]

Thanks for the link.

I think I might just avoid flying whenever possible.

Helloooooo road-trips!!!
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I didn't fly from 1990 till 2009. Since then I've done it 5 times and probably will once or twice a year from here on out. (I moved halfway across the country and go back to visit. Driving just adds too many days to the amount of time I'd be gone.) I don't like it to begin with, and all this "security" stuff just makes it worse.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

The stupidest thing is scanning the Pilots. They don't need a bomb, they have control of a missile.

This ain't security, this is the government saying, "See look! Security!!!" when in reality it's, "So how far can we push your rights before you bite back?"

Comment

The truth is that when the terrorists are ready to actually bomb us, they will do so. This scanning and groping pat is doing nothing but busting pot smugglers and people who like to insert carrots up their bums.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                X