X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this okay?

Hello ^_^

I'm new to the forums. I realized after reading the forum more and understanding that Egyptian (Kemetic) Paganism exists, that my name may be offensive.

From my understanding, Amunet is a goddess in Egyptian mythology. I haven't found much on her but I know some speculation is that she is actually just the female form of Amun.
    I found the name on a baby naming site (VERY VERY long ago) and the definition on the site was; Goddess of Mystery. I really liked the definition so I adapted the name and it is my online identity ... not that I think I am the actual goddess.

I just wanted to make sure that it's okay ... is she even really recognized in the Kemetic tradition (I'm still new to learning about all things Pagan)?
    If my name offends anyone, please say something and I'll ask about changing it.
    I am not trying to prance around pretending to be a Goddess at all.

Re: Is this okay?

I don't see any offensive thing in it. You're not the only user who uses the name of an ancient egyptian deity.
    It's totally fine by me
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

The name violates no site policy. As such, I have no issues with it and if overmuch grief if is directed toward you for using it then responsible parties will have issues with me.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thank you both so much ^_^ I was worried after reading and I really didn't want to offend anyone.

Perhaps someone practicing Kemetic Traditions can explain to me how Amunet is present in their path?

I really haven't found too much on her online when I searched. Granted, I may not have been looking hard enough lol

Thank you again! I love learning here!! ^_^

Comment

Perhaps, this link will be helpful for you in learning about Her: http://www.crystalinks.com/amunet.html
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Wow, thank you Gleb! ^_^ That is most informative!!

I didn't know about the possibility of funerary goddess, that was new. What I find REALLY interesting is the last sentence in that article: "While continuing to represent the air and the invisible, Amunet was said to have become associated with Iah, the moon, and was depicted in association with the Moon on tombs, coffins, and sarcophaguses."
            I have always had a fascination with the moon and crescent moons ... in fact, I got a tattoo of one. It made me feel better ^_^
            It's very interesting to find out that some associate Amunet with the moon, particularly on death related items.

Well, another sign pointing to my love of the moon ^_^ Still lots of questions for me.

Thank you so much! I am hoping to see Amunet's statue in Egypt one day ^_^ Or ... well ... the crumbling remains XD

Comment

'Eh, if anyone is offended, they've not said a word to me about my name....

Welcome to the forum!
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

My own handle is a Sumerian/Babylonian moon Goddess. I use this handle as a connection to said Goddess.

The Graphic in my sig is a Chinese Goddess figure. A person from this forum did the graphic a while back. This Goddess figure is Quan yin,there are several variations in the spelling of her name.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It's fine to take a deity's name here. There's several members who have.

Amunet is a member of the Ogdoad, the primordial deities of Kemet, and along with her consort Amun represents mysteries and hidden things and possibly the powers of creation themselves. Amunet is literally just Amun with a masculine ending and in myths there's little to distinguish them. They represent the masculine and feminine portions of the concept of hidden things. Like all of the female Ogdoad, Amunet is associated with snakes (males are frogs). Amun was combined with Re to form Amun-Ra and in a few versions of the creation myth it's Amun-Ra who kicks off the creation of all that is. Considering that the default gender is male one can assume that Amunet played some role in those also, since the lines between her and Amun are rather blurry. Like all of the Ogdoad (except Amun) there's little known about them, few myths (well usually just the creation myth) include them, there's only a few temples to them and their worship isn't known very well anymore.
                  Circe

Comment

You, of course, always have to worry about being struck down. Happened to a god friend of mine who used the handle CoolAsZeus. Good luck!

Comment

The ancient Egyptians frequently used theophoric names for their children, and modern Kemetics often give themselves theophoric names. So unless you go around claiming to be a goddess, your handle is actually not out of the norm from the perspective of Kemeticism.
                      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Wonderful! Thank you guys for your support and information ^_^

I pronounce MY name differently; Am-you-net
                        Instead of: Ah-moo-net
                        when I speak of the deity or goddess, I use the second pronunciation ^_^

Comment

If you ask me, taking on the name of a deity is only offensive when you demand to be treated as such.
                          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                            If you ask me, taking on the name of a deity is only offensive when you demand to be treated as such.
                            Took the words right out of my mouth Clive.
                            I have no issue whatsoever with people using the names of the Gods as their usernames, so long as they don't demand special treatment for carrying the name. So I think I agree with everyone else who has posted in saying that it isn't an issue.

Also, welcome to the forum. I don't think I've had the chance to give a proper welcome to you so might as well do so now.

Comment

Thank you very much both of you ^_^

And thank you for the welcome Lunar ^_^

Yeah, I don't expect to be treated like that at all. I am only human as well! ^_^ Lol even my husband can't treat me like a goddess ... I don't do too well with people worshiping me XD But flowers are nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X