This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positioning Altars

I am wondering how altars really work if you're with a spouse or significant other. I am wondering since I'm into Druidism and I plan to make an altar, specifically for Ogma, but what if I had a girlfriend that was into Shinto and she had had an altar. Would she have to make the altarin a different room or does her altar have to be at a specific distance? I hear 2 different altars can interfere with the energy.

Re: Positioning Altars

We have four different altars in the same room, without problems. Heck, I have (and regularly work with) several different deities of different pantheons at the same altar without problems...sometimes at the same time. Honestly, IMO, this is only a problem if you think its a problem. An altar really just does 2 main things--holds stuff and acts as a focal point (and sometimes, in keeping with the "focal point" purpose, acting as a sort of "anchor" or touchstone for the creation or recognition of sacred space). If you can't focus on your focal point because someone else's focal point is interfereing, its a problem...but its not a problem caused by the altar itself, rather your perception of it. The easy solution would be to move the altar...the more beneficial and effective (IMO) solution would be to work on controling your preceptions.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
      I am wondering how altars really work if you're with a spouse or significant other. I am wondering since I'm into Druidism and I plan to make an altar, specifically for Ogma, but what if I had a girlfriend that was into Shinto and she had had an altar. Would she have to make the altarin a different room or does her altar have to be at a specific distance? I hear 2 different altars can interfere with the energy.
      It's a bit tricky in my opinion. As far as I know, there will be fricktion if these are altars of two opposite religions. But it's better to keep them in a little distance from each other, just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

But if the two altars don't hurt the rituals and religious stuff of the each other, then why not?
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

My husband and I have our alters in a bedroom that has o lot of things in it, but it is organized and nothing is touching the alter or sacred space that shouldn't be.
        I find it easiest to have the alters NOT facing each other. That way, when you are doing your thing, you won't get distracted with what is on your partner's altar. Also, we alternate being around the alters. So we don't meditate/ritual or any spiritual work while the other person is. We find that this helps focus us and we can do anything without judgement ^_^

Comment

Rae'ya and I have our respective working altars in the same room only about a meter or so apart from one another with no conflict. We also have a communal devotional altar in the room as well which hosts idols and offerings for both of our gods and ancestors - again, with no conflict.

That being said, our deities seem generally "okay" with being worked with in the same space - others may not. IMHO, it depends on the deities in question, the religion, the space and how you intend to use it.

Comment

I have heard that it depends a great deal on the deities involved. Are they "jealous" sorts?

I've also heard it is best to put them next to (with some distance between) or in a niche rather than across from one another. Even if they are in separate rooms, have them on the same wall...as in against the back wall of the house or the outside wall of the house, rather than across from one another or back to back etc.

Comment

Working...
            X