This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dressing for 'service'

Just read an article about how people are dressing down for church services. That got me thinking. So...what do you wear for your 'services'? Is it important to your religion or no? What kind of garb did you wear when you were of any other religion? I ask this last one because I know many of us got here through a long path of other faiths. So a general religion attire talk is in order!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Dressing for 'service'

These days? No formal service = No formal attire. I have a pretty informal approach to spirituality. I also tend to see dressing up as more for our benefit than that of the Divine. Expensive clothing isn't gonna impress a Power but for some people it will reinforce the solemnity of an event.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

My entire family dresses up for church. I always hated it. Even when I still attended service, in the early teen years, I started wearing jeans and t-shirts.

Nowadays, I wear what I want when I want. Working with deities has no dress code.

Comment

Skyclad all the way!

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Hm... I don't do any rituals, yet, but I will wear something respectful and not a T-shirt with short pants.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I often like to feel very comfortable when doing a solitary ritual so I wear big loose dark colored sleep pants and an over-sized plain white t-shirt. Bare feet usually. Very plain colors, very loose and cotton material. Makes me feel at home.

Sometimes naked. Yes. Sometimes naked. But I never do skyclad practice in public/coven stuff. I just feel completely put off by the practice. If I do it, it's just for me!

Comment

I've never done public ritual but at home I generally practice nude. Not because I specifically believe in working skyclad but because I'm generally nude at home anyway (or wearing a dressing gown). I'vedone rituals in clothes and it doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

As far as church goes... most mass I went to when I was a kid was via school or with my grandma. She's old school 'wear something nice'. I think dressing down for church removes some of the ritual element. But then I hear Catholic mass is quite different to other types of church service so maybe that's not an issue?

Comment

I wore dresses to church back when I went. And I would still want to look nice if I went to the UU or something. Ritual? I'm not there yet. I think I may do rituals again someday, and when I do, I'd want to look nice. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing any sort of ritual skyclad. The idea just goes against the grain.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Clean and tidy, but casual for church (jeans, t-shirt, sweater etc), and some rituals like communion, baptisms, dedications and such.

More formal attire (pants, collared shirt, tie) for rituals where it is expected (like weddings, funerals etc).

Skyclad of course when the ritual involves cowbell or sporting events ;-)

Comment

These days, my home rituals are done in "pretty much whatever I'm wearing at the moment".

I have been thinking of creating a ritual robe (and mask, I already have the mask - just not painted). I like the thought of being in the ritual mindset - and a special "outfit" would certainly contribute to being in the mental space that is needed.

Comment

I've got a few ritual robes that I like to wear, but it pretty much depends upon my mood and how involved the ritual is. If the ritual is long/involved enough I figure I might as well go all the way for it. To do a simple spell here and there I generally just wear whatever I happen to already be wearing.

When I went to church it was more of a case of just doing what I was brought up to do. It's been 29 years since then, but at the time I always "dressed" for church.

Comment

Mostly, I do what can basically be described as "folk magic." There may be a little forethought, but mostly it has to do with timing (you know... around work or intrusion).

On occasion, special days, special things, I have a couple items of clothing that always remind me why I do what I do and how I got to this place in my spirituality. One is an old Metallica hoodie that's beaten up to where it provides absolutely no insulation anymore, but I've had it since I really started accepting things into my life and it means a great deal to me. I don't think I really have a full outfit though and nothing that I use every time I do any workings.

Comment

In my Protestant household, you dressed up for church. I remember sitting through an Easter service when I was little, and my mother getting angry because I wouldn't stop fidgeting because the dress she made me wear was so stiff and itchy. I suppose my conservative upbringing has stuck with me somewhat, because if I ever have to be in a church for some reason, I still wear my "Sunday best".

Aside from appeasing my family by attending church gatherings, I have no dress code. I've never thought that clothes make a difference during a ritual, but I definitely prefer to be out under the open sky instead of indoors. The forest is Her temple, after all.

Comment

Sometimes I dress up a bit for the days that I celebrate. I have a couple of medieval looking tops that I don't wear often (too over-the-top for me these days) but that I love, and putting those on kind of marks the occasion. It's not formal, though - just a bit special.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Just read an article about how people are dressing down for church services. That got me thinking. So...what do you wear for your 'services'? Is it important to your religion or no? What kind of garb did you wear when you were of any other religion? I ask this last one because I know many of us got here through a long path of other faiths. So a general religion attire talk is in order!
                              I dress respectfully for the "purpose". If it's a wedding or a funeral, yes, I'll wear something more traditionally appropriate. If I'm just going to church to go or whatever, I wear what I'm wearing. Why? Because God sees me naked, and if THAT doesn't offend him, my T-shirt depicting Jesus on the cross saying "Stop Jew on Jew violence" isn't likely to shock Him.

Comment

Working...
                              X