This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christian converting to paganism. Mentor wanted

I was raised in a baptist family. My aunt and uncle run one of the biggest churches in my city. I've tried my whole life to be a good Christian. I've read the bible, been baptised twice; but I just don't feel it in my heart. I have felt that paganism is my true path for many years but of course I had to deal with the overwhelming guilt and feeling that I'm doing something wrong. Now I am finally free of those fears and I am ready to begin my journey, but I need some help. I came here in hopes that someone will take me under their wing so to speak and teach me what I need to learn. There is no physical person that can help me here in Florida's version of the bible belt, and every online "guide" that I've tried isn't what I'm looking for. So please, I ask that an experienced pagan would help me on my path. Or perhaps someone with a similar situation, so that we can maybe help each other advance in our spiritual paths.

Re: Christian converting to paganism. Mentor wanted

This forum will be your best mentor for now, until you find your path. Welcome by the way!
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Hi Blayze. I didn't have a mentor either when I first started. I agree with Doc_Holliday. My recommendation is to read about different paths of paganism in the web, so you can determine your beliefs. Paganism is the common name of many belief systems. You will find lots of information here. Also, many people here will help you, whether it's through private messages (PMs), or threads.

It will be easier to help, if you tell a little about your views on the world and universe, for each branch of paganism is special and has its own principles and basics.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Welcome. And don't be afraid, because, and I hate to use a Christian saying on a Pagan forum, but as Jesus said, "You can judge based on the fruits of their spirit". Just learn about different religions, and different deities, and see which ones you're interested in, and try communicating with some of them. Eventually, you should get an answer, whether that be a voice, a dream, vision, or a sign. Remember, all deities lead to the divine, for all are divine.
        What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
          and I hate to use a Christian saying on a Pagan forum
          I'll try not to take that as an offense to christians. But you will find most if not all of the people on this forum have a respect/don't dislike Christians. One of this communities more respected members, Malflick is a christian. So please, don't be afraid to use christian sayings.
          White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
          sigpic
          In Days of yore,
          From Britain's shore
          Wolfe the dauntless hero came
          And planted firm Britannia's flag
          On Canada's fair domain.
          Here may it wave,
          Our boast, our pride
          And joined in love together,
          The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
            I'll try not to take that as an offense to christians. But you will find most if not all of the people on this forum have a respect/don't dislike Christians. One of this communities more respected members, Malflick is a christian. So please, don't be afraid to use christian sayings.
            Sorry, didn't mean it like that. I just figured that since a lot of us left Christianity, the community didn't really care much for Christian sayings. And I am a Christian (just Gnostic), so I didn't mean any offense.
            What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
              Sorry, didn't mean it like that. I just figured that since a lot of us left Christianity, the community didn't really care much for Christian sayings. And I am a Christian (just Gnostic), so I didn't mean any offense.
              We are a multi faith forum with a pagan focus. There's a reason we have an Abrahamic religion section. All faiths and paths are welcome here as friends and for discussion. Many of the people of this forum incorporate philosophies from many faiths.

As for the op, welcome first and foremost. We had many former Christians here and changing your faith many times over the course of your life is not unusual. There's many resources related to paganism here as well as members knowledgable about most faiths, deities, and many other details associated with religion and practices. Look through the boards, maybe post a thread or two asking about specific things you've found interesting or want to know about. We're more than happy to help. Welcome to our family. I'm sure you'll find something to help you.
              Circe

Comment

I know, I have. It's really confusing when you feel drawn to a path and then something happens and another path opens up.

Comment

Originally posted by blayze View Post
                  I was raised in a baptist family. My aunt and uncle run one of the biggest churches in my city. I've tried my whole life to be a good Christian. I've read the bible, been baptised twice; but I just don't feel it in my heart. I have felt that paganism is my true path for many years but of course I had to deal with the overwhelming guilt and feeling that I'm doing something wrong. Now I am finally free of those fears and I am ready to begin my journey, but I need some help. I came here in hopes that someone will take me under their wing so to speak and teach me what I need to learn. There is no physical person that can help me here in Florida's version of the bible belt, and every online "guide" that I've tried isn't what I'm looking for. So please, I ask that an experienced pagan would help me on my path. Or perhaps someone with a similar situation, so that we can maybe help each other advance in our spiritual paths.
                  Before anyone can teach you, you must first know what you can speak. What path is it that you feel is graven upon your soul? If you're looking for advice over the web any one of us could offer it, but it would be better to read a book before hand or find someone who you may meet with in person. I am an ordained minister so I consider it my duty to advise whoever asks, but there are others who have been with the old ways longer who likely know better than I. However, any advice I or anyone else could give you will be less effective if you do not have an idea of what it is that speaks to your soul.

Comment

Welcome to the forums! And good luck on your journey! We welcome all kinds here, me included ^_^. I hope this place helps you find what you're looking for.
                    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Welcome To the forums, see Malflick for welcoming cookies
                      Click Meh!!

Comment

My general advice for finding a path is always "research". If you think what you're reading is boring, it's probably not your cup of tea. If something catches your attention, listen to your emotional response and ask yourself why you like something. Why does it make you feel a certain way? The more accurately you can answer that, the easier it becomes to find the path that will fulfill you.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I do hope you enjoy your time here. :3

It takes a great deal of courage and strength to walk away from Christianity when its so ingrained in the culture and society around you. I would suggest that, instead of looking for a mentor, you look to discover for yourself what you see as properly fitting your beliefs. Find what you believe in and go after it. Maybe try out pagan sects that catch your interest. That is a question I have though, do you have any beliefs in particular which can point you in a general direction? If so, then explore that direction. If not, then reflect upon yourself and find what you believe to be true about the Gods, to help find a direction.

There are plenty of people here, from all sorts of beliefs, who will be happy to help you to the best of their abilities, including myself, so please feel free to ask questions in your search, and I wish you the best as you progress in your spiritual journey. :3
                          Last edited by LunarHarvest; 30 Apr 2014, 16:46.

Comment

Hey there!

I'm also new to the forum and fairly new to paganism, I've considered myself pagan for a little over a year now. After a sequence of events I came to realize that I was a "just in case" Christian - I still only considered myself Christian "just in case" it really was the right way and I was nervous about branching out because of what I had been taught growing up. (I was raised Church of Christ, by the way.)

I finally over a course of time set down exactly what I DID believe and started trying to search for a system that fit the beliefs I already had. I read a book called "Pagans and Christians" by Gus DiZerega and my worldview was totally flipped. I thought I would be going into the book with a Christian perspective and instead realized "Holy shit. I'm a pagan." From there I just started reading books and articles about every pagan path under the sun. It took me from that revelation (over a year ago) until a couple months ago to find my fit - ADF Druidry. So don't worry about rushing to find something to follow, you'll stumble across it eventually.

So that is my advice to you - first, sit down and think about what you actually believe, get a good handle on it before your search. Next, as others have said, research! Anything that interests you, and remember you're not in a hurry! Then, during your wanderings, you'll find something that matches up with those beliefs you established.

If you really want real-person resources, however, I would perhaps look at witchvox.com or on the sites of nationwide pagan groups like Covenant of the Goddess, CUUPS, and of course druid groups, and see if there are any public rituals in your area. You would be surprised. I first got into contact with local pagans through a public Wiccan ritual and later discovered an entire pagan-focused UU church in my area. (As well as my local ADF grove!) Pagans are generally a friendly bunch and the ones I visited with were very happy to help out a new-comer.

Comment

Working...
                            X