This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woman sues kid she ran over and killed.

I know what you are thinking.....WTF...But this is a true story.

"Sharlene Simon, An Ontario woman who struck three teenagers with her SUV while speeding, killing one, is suing the dead teen, his parents, his deceased brother, the families of the other teenagers and the county for $1.35 million, citing that she has suffered from depression, anxiety, irritability and post-traumatic stress since the accident. She blames the boys for negligence. Simon was speeding at the time of the accident. She may also have been talking on her cell phone."

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Woman sues kid she ran over and killed.

What a piece of crap! That woman needs to be put into jail. She was the one who ran over a child. She needs to be put in jail for murder, not the other way around. She has no fricking right to sue! What a crazy be-otch!
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Well, she can sue, but the real question is:

Can she win?

When she looses, let's hope she gets saddled with all the fees, and becomes the subject of a countersuit from the various parties involved.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This is what's wrong with the world.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Sad to share the same land as such filth. Peace to the deceased and their families, and I hope her PTSD is the least of her problems now, she deserves it after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Can she win?
          I think for sure not, there is no tolerance of speeding/distracted driving around here. She'll lose and be burned, emotionally of course.
          White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
          sigpic
          In Days of yore,
          From Britain's shore
          Wolfe the dauntless hero came
          And planted firm Britannia's flag
          On Canada's fair domain.
          Here may it wave,
          Our boast, our pride
          And joined in love together,
          The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I'm telling you it's freaks like this that makes me wonder about society. She should be jailed. Why isn't she in jail. Here in the States we arrest people like that and let them live in the land of other freaks that can't abide by the law.

Comment

How is she not in prison for manslaughter?
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I've read a tiny bit on this (note, a tiny bit), and what really bothers me about these kinds of news stories isn't the actual actions themselves, but how sketchy the details are regarding the entire situation. The emotions, understandably, run extremely high after a loss like that. But some news feeds give more information, some give only enough to get a rise out of their audience, and the commentaries seem to try and give supporting evidence to the driver than is actually known (or publicly known?).

I'm not saying she has the right to add insult to trauma that she inflicted on a family; but I am saying that the statements against her "supposedly" intoxicated, talking on a cell phone, not paying attention, etc... just cries unprofessional handling of the situation to me. It's why I don't often bother trying to figure out these kinds of cases. There is just no real justice to be had from them. Even if she drops her lawsuit, neither party is going to be able to heal that wound completely.

I think I read somewhere that she filed a lawsuit partially because she was being sued for funeral costs, but it's still really not a valid reason. I doubt anything will convince a judge of her right to get compensation for mental trauma anyway.

Comment

Like Ljubezen said, the details are pretty sketchy on this one. Now, we could take the story at one of two extremes:

1) She was driving drunk in the fog, texting, and speeding well over the limit with her cop husband driving behind her to cover her ass when she hit the boys. Now she is suing the family because she is an absolute narcissist who feels no remorse.

2) She was only going 5 miles above the speed limit (not smart in the fog, but not psychotically fast, either), paying attention, sober, and the kids were riding around in dark clothes with no reflectors at an odd hour of the morning. She is countersuing the family because she does not want her own family to go broke on top of all of the very real trauma she is facing from accidentally taking a human life.

Chances are, it was some gradient between the two. It's very hard to judge in a situation like this. I am sure that the victims' families are traumatized, but I doubt that the driver is a total psychopath. Although, she could be. The details are so foggy that we don't truthfully know what exactly happened.
                  Regardless, there really is no way to make a situation like this "right". It's horrific and grizzly. No amount of suing or countersuing will undo what happened. I really don't know what else to say. I hope that the boys' families find as much peace as people in their situation can find, and I hope the same for the driver- assuming she isn't a drunken sociopath who was speeding ridiculously. If that is the case, screw her.

Comment

I saw this and my thoughts are:

1) Like everyone else said, ridiculous and not ok.

2) What is she even expecting in CANADA? I'm not sure how familiar people here are with the Canadian legal system, but court stuff (even civil suits) take YEARS. And a judge would definitely toss that one out. Suing is a last resort in Canada. It's what you do when you've exhausted all other channels for dealing with your problem. It's just not how you get things done.

Stuff like this pisses me off not only because it's wrong, but because it's becoming a genuine problem in Canada. Canada's legal system isn't set up to deal with a ton of pointless lawsuits. It's not a litigious country (unlike here, where that's often the way to do things). BUT people see people do it on TV and start to think that that's how things work. It's clogging up courts for people who have real problems and slowing down the system.

Comment

All I can say, without turning into a ball of hate right now, is that I think she is way in the wrong, and should be brought to justice for murder.
                      What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
                        should be brought to justice for murder.
                        Reckless endangerment you mean, maybe harrasment, manslaughter at the absolute worst, but not murder. Accidents are not murder, the entire justice system would fall apart were that the case.

If this is true, then she's either an ass or trying to deal with her issues in an unproductive way. She should be going to a mental health professional, not a lawyer.
                        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Counter suit or not, whether she was reckless or not, who sues the person they even if accidentally killed?! That seems sociopathic.... I don't care if she was paying perfect attention, she still whacked people on bikes with her car and made them dead, that's enough detail to know she should not be sueing the family.
                          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                            Reckless endangerment you mean, maybe harrasment, manslaughter at the absolute worst, but not murder. Accidents are not murder, the entire justice system would fall apart were that the case.

If this is true, then she's either an ass or trying to deal with her issues in an unproductive way. She should be going to a mental health professional, not a lawyer.
                            This times ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                              That is an excellent point.

Comment

Working...
                              X