This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Job, Cold Feet

I got my dream job as a web developer for a great company. It took me way too long to move from where I was. Assuming everything turns out okay, I start on May 12th.

And I've got cold feet. And a crisis of confidence.

This job is going to be a good distance away from my social network (well, what little I have, lol). For the first time in my life, I'm going to be living alone. I've always had roommates or lived with family, even if I had a part of the house cut off and completely to myself. It doesn't sound like a big deal. . . until you learn I'm paranoid about coming home to an empty place!

Not only that, I'm not 100% sure I can do the job. I'm fresh-faced, so I'm not going to be asked to rewrite an entire enterprise-y website, but I'm still terrified. The reason is I've done pretty badly so far. I know people with my level of experience who can do amazing things and I'm just over here, saying, "let me research Google for a couple hours before I get back to you."

It's not even the Imposter Syndrome. It's reality.

Any words of encouragement, advice, etc?
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Re: New Job, Cold Feet

I spent most of my life living off or with other people...parents, military, parents again, roommate, wife. I took a motorcycle trip a few years ago - 3 months - and that was the first time that I ever truly felt that I was in charge of my own destiny. Fear is nonexistent...don't let an imaginary roadblock stop the ride.

As far as the job thing goes - excellent news! If you think that you're going to have problems, you have a couple of weeks to brush up on your information. If there's something that you struggle with that you're pretty sure they'll want you to know, learn it! I know a guy who only had a rudimentary knowledge of computers when he got hired by Xilinx back in 1996. He spent two months (before starting the job) cramming and learning everything he could. He is still employed by the company today, and apparently has managed to work his way up a bit too.

Fear is not a good reason to avoid something that you know is safe. What is the worst possible result that you could reasonably expect? That they'll fire you? There are other jobs - even if it means working backwards for a little while (going back to what you were doing)...and the chances are pretty good you'll get some work experience before that happens anyway, leaving you with something more to add to your resume`.

Life is scary...nearly all of it...but if we don't fight through the fear, we will never experience life...we'll only huddle in a corner and jump at shadows.

Comment

It's ok to want to be near someone close. Your family and friends always will be near you, to help.
      Working in a good job and being close to one's family is a rare thing. If there is a need to choose one of the two - it will be best to choose the one who is more important.

Best of luck, Satu!! ^_^
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Thanks you guys. I've been going through the hiring paperwork and have a drug test scheduled for some time tomorrow. I'm going to take a deep breath, work my butt off, and hope for the best.

Comment

Honestly, be upfront about what you don't know. "Hey, I'll have to get back to you", "I've not done that before, do you have any ideas" and "I'm not sure, I'll have to look into that" are perfectly valid answers. Also, have a good attitude. Most people can learn to do a job...but learning a good attitude is much harder. Most employers would rather have someone with a positive attitude and a decent work ethic that they need to train, than to have a shitty person that is amazing at the job.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I'm totally going to be honest about what I can and can't do. I'd rather be fired for not being able to do the job than lying about skills.

Comment

Satu, congratulations on your dream job! You must have really impressed them with your application. Obviously, they see something in you and believe you're a good fit.
              When I first got the job I have now, I prayed to keep my old one! lol. It's natural to have apprehension when moving into the unknown.
              To help with loneliness, I had my internet friends to soften the blow of moving into a new social sphere. Maybe you can find help in the same way for a little while
              As for being fired, I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but it's really hard to get fired in Australia if you are lucky enough to have a permanent position. The employers I know of have to put you through employee retraining before you get fired for incompetency. Companies tend to try to make their money spent on recruitment worth their while. Is that true in the US as well?
              I wish you all the best Satu! You are in a very exciting time in life. Take the opportunity to do some things you've always wanted to try and enjoy the change of season!

Comment

I will certainly be thinking of you May 12th.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                  As for being fired, I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but it's really hard to get fired in Australia if you are lucky enough to have a permanent position.
                  I live in an "at-will" state, which means I can be terminated for any reason at any time, so long as the reason for termination isn't ruled discriminatory. It does go both way, however, as I can also terminate my relationship with the company at any time for any reason.

I wish you all the best Satu! You are in a very exciting time in life. Take the opportunity to do some things you've always wanted to try and enjoy the change of season!
                  Thank you!

As it turns out, I might have a roommate. It'll be less lonely that way.

Comment

Hey Satu! How is your new job going?

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                      Hey Satu! How is your new job going?
                      Thanks for asking. My start date actually got pushed back a week, so this coming Monday's supposed to be it. A lot of issues have cropped up, though, so I may just decide to pass on this job after all. It depends on whether or not I can find a place to live!

Comment

I hope things work out, Satu. Congrats on at least getting to this point!

Comment

Working...
                        X