Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pledge of Allegiance

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

The Pledge of Allegiance

Thal's recent blog post about the pledge of allegiance got me thinking. The post itself was a rant about the line "under god" but in formulating a response I kinda went off topic and decided I would make a thread here instead to discuss it. For the non-Americans on the forum here's the wiki page on the pledge of allegiance

My question is, should the pledge be spoken in school at all?

The comment I was going to post which explores some of my personal feelings.
    Spoiler!

So what do you think? I imagine we'll have a fairly diverse amount of responses and I'm interested in hearing about it.
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Jan 2005
    Religion
    Atheist

Re: The Pledge of Allegiance

I think that there should be a Loyalty Oath for the Constitution, and I think that most of our schooling should focus on that as well. I disagree with the current Oath, but you know...I have more important shit to worry about Most children figure out that it's bullshit when they get older anyway...the internet has also shown Americans that we aren't nearly as awesome as we'd been told in earlier generations.
    http://www.roknrol.info <-- if the site's down, just check back later

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativity.
    - Albert Einstein

“It is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Think about this,back when I was a kid(how all stories by old guys start) we did the pledge AND then practiced crawling under our desks for the "If an atomic bomb drops drill". I mean what does that tell a 8 year old kid?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Tao-Witch (I draw from both Eastern & Western practices)
    Phrase
    Live, Learn, Love.

Just like with the currency used in the US, pledging under the Abrahamic God was a recent addition. I have no issues with voluntary oaths but I think it would be best to use the oath used in the "pre-commi-fear" days.. some for of indoctrination however is nearly inescapable no matter where you go.. but you bring up a valid point in that what we strive for, or seem to strive for as a country often is found lacking..though we often still hold onto this idea of American exceptionalism or rather 'Merica! (nothing wrong with being patriotic- I just have a particular issue with this bravado expression of it.)

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Quote Originally Posted by Roknrol View Post
    I think that there should be a Loyalty Oath for the Constitution, and I think that most of our schooling should focus on that as well. I disagree with the current Oath, but you know...I have more important shit to worry about Most children figure out that it's bullshit when they get older anyway...the internet has also shown Americans that we aren't nearly as awesome as we'd been told in earlier generations.
    Yeah, I'm going with this as my final answer. Thing is soooooome special snowflakes want to make either not saying the pledge or sitting while it's being said as their triumphant spectacular protest. Who cares? Stand and stare into space for all I care. This is a country. This isn't really the 'free' world. There is no such thing. Unless you have enough money. I digress. I think an oath that is up to date is good. But I also like the idea of keeping this one. It shows what we once thought of as a good thing. Shows our sincerity in starting a new country. When we start throwing away all these things of the past...we will soon forget.
    Satan is my spirit animal

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I can't really comment on the US because I'm not from there and whatever you do is your business.

I'd feel weird about doing it here. In Germany any level of patriotism that isn't related to soccer feels weird and creepy.

In Canada we had a principal who made us listen to the national anthem every morning. We didn't really have any issues with it, but most parents felt it was a bit odd and old fashioned.

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Asatruar
    Phrase
    Come join the murder, Come fly with black, We'll give you freedom, From the human trap.

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I can't really comment on the US because I'm not from there and whatever you do is your business.

I'd feel weird about doing it here. In Germany any level of patriotism that isn't related to soccer feels weird and creepy.

In Canada we had a principal who made us listen to the national anthem every morning. We didn't really have any issues with it, but most parents felt it was a bit odd and old fashioned.
    The local schoolboard here still does the morning anthem, I think it's good, especially since it doesn't say anything 'too' pledgey, I guess. Its kinda just saying 'if Canada gets invaded I won't roll over and not help.'

As far as Americas pledge, I wouldn't mind doing it if I were there, but I see where peoples concerns come in, especially those of diverse faiths.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

As I am in the UK you already know that I will find any find of oath to anything pretty strange. I mean, please don't think that Four Weddings and a Funeral or Notting Hill are representative of the way most of us live...
    So... I suppose the nearest thing here is the national anthem. Last night of the proms in London shows a lot of flag waving etc., but it doesn't really work for most of us. Even as a young teenager, I flatly refused to stand for God Save the Queen in cinemas or theatres and they don't play it any more.
    The usual comment, in response to 'Stand up! They're playing God save the Queen!'
    as 'Why Mam? What's she done?'

But then we Welsh take few things seriously... except, perhaps, our Welshness.

Our Welsh Anthem Mae hen wlad fy nhadau is a rousing song and this is a lovely version - sung at a rugby international game just before Wales beat England...
    http://youtu.be/AM4mIlYKG9s

When Wales are in difficulties during a game, the crowd swings into action with various song, hymns and chants. Magic!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

It kills two minutes at the beginning of class.

Aside from that, I care not.

I have more meaningful things to think about than a series of words recited by rote.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase
    Its not about finding the "right path" but more so finding the path that's right for you

If I remember correctly from my past studies of it-one of the reasons we got around to saying it in schools every morning was to help build massive patriotism during the Cold War, as that's also when the whole "Under God" part was added to the pledge as part of the whole "lets scare off all the commies" thing going around.

My guess is that its so ingrained in our school systems at this point that if they didn't, someone would be bound to throw a fit that would be blown waaaay out of proportion, and raise the potential of the person who decided that we didn't need to say it get labeled as a potential domestic terrorist.
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress