This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pledge of Allegiance

Thal's recent blog post about the pledge of allegiance got me thinking. The post itself was a rant about the line "under god" but in formulating a response I kinda went off topic and decided I would make a thread here instead to discuss it. For the non-Americans on the forum here's the wiki page on the pledge of allegiance

My question is, should the pledge be spoken in school at all?

The comment I was going to post which explores some of my personal feelings.
    Spoiler!

So what do you think? I imagine we'll have a fairly diverse amount of responses and I'm interested in hearing about it.
    Circe

Re: The Pledge of Allegiance

I think that there should be a Loyalty Oath for the Constitution, and I think that most of our schooling should focus on that as well. I disagree with the current Oath, but you know...I have more important shit to worry about Most children figure out that it's bullshit when they get older anyway...the internet has also shown Americans that we aren't nearly as awesome as we'd been told in earlier generations.

Comment

Think about this,back when I was a kid(how all stories by old guys start) we did the pledge AND then practiced crawling under our desks for the "If an atomic bomb drops drill". I mean what does that tell a 8 year old kid?
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Just like with the currency used in the US, pledging under the Abrahamic God was a recent addition. I have no issues with voluntary oaths but I think it would be best to use the oath used in the "pre-commi-fear" days.. some for of indoctrination however is nearly inescapable no matter where you go.. but you bring up a valid point in that what we strive for, or seem to strive for as a country often is found lacking..though we often still hold onto this idea of American exceptionalism or rather 'Merica! (nothing wrong with being patriotic- I just have a particular issue with this bravado expression of it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
          I think that there should be a Loyalty Oath for the Constitution, and I think that most of our schooling should focus on that as well. I disagree with the current Oath, but you know...I have more important shit to worry about Most children figure out that it's bullshit when they get older anyway...the internet has also shown Americans that we aren't nearly as awesome as we'd been told in earlier generations.
          Yeah, I'm going with this as my final answer. Thing is soooooome special snowflakes want to make either not saying the pledge or sitting while it's being said as their triumphant spectacular protest. Who cares? Stand and stare into space for all I care. This is a country. This isn't really the 'free' world. There is no such thing. Unless you have enough money. I digress. I think an oath that is up to date is good. But I also like the idea of keeping this one. It shows what we once thought of as a good thing. Shows our sincerity in starting a new country. When we start throwing away all these things of the past...we will soon forget.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I can't really comment on the US because I'm not from there and whatever you do is your business.

I'd feel weird about doing it here. In Germany any level of patriotism that isn't related to soccer feels weird and creepy.

In Canada we had a principal who made us listen to the national anthem every morning. We didn't really have any issues with it, but most parents felt it was a bit odd and old fashioned.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              I can't really comment on the US because I'm not from there and whatever you do is your business.

I'd feel weird about doing it here. In Germany any level of patriotism that isn't related to soccer feels weird and creepy.

In Canada we had a principal who made us listen to the national anthem every morning. We didn't really have any issues with it, but most parents felt it was a bit odd and old fashioned.
              The local schoolboard here still does the morning anthem, I think it's good, especially since it doesn't say anything 'too' pledgey, I guess. Its kinda just saying 'if Canada gets invaded I won't roll over and not help.'

As far as Americas pledge, I wouldn't mind doing it if I were there, but I see where peoples concerns come in, especially those of diverse faiths.
              White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
              sigpic
              In Days of yore,
              From Britain's shore
              Wolfe the dauntless hero came
              And planted firm Britannia's flag
              On Canada's fair domain.
              Here may it wave,
              Our boast, our pride
              And joined in love together,
              The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
              The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

As I am in the UK you already know that I will find any find of oath to anything pretty strange. I mean, please don't think that Four Weddings and a Funeral or Notting Hill are representative of the way most of us live...
                So... I suppose the nearest thing here is the national anthem. Last night of the proms in London shows a lot of flag waving etc., but it doesn't really work for most of us. Even as a young teenager, I flatly refused to stand for God Save the Queen in cinemas or theatres and they don't play it any more.
                The usual comment, in response to 'Stand up! They're playing God save the Queen!'
                as 'Why Mam? What's she done?'

But then we Welsh take few things seriously... except, perhaps, our Welshness.

Our Welsh Anthem Mae hen wlad fy nhadau is a rousing song and this is a lovely version - sung at a rugby international game just before Wales beat England...

When Wales are in difficulties during a game, the crowd swings into action with various song, hymns and chants. Magic!
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It kills two minutes at the beginning of class.

Aside from that, I care not.

I have more meaningful things to think about than a series of words recited by rote.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If I remember correctly from my past studies of it-one of the reasons we got around to saying it in schools every morning was to help build massive patriotism during the Cold War, as that's also when the whole "Under God" part was added to the pledge as part of the whole "lets scare off all the commies" thing going around.

My guess is that its so ingrained in our school systems at this point that if they didn't, someone would be bound to throw a fit that would be blown waaaay out of proportion, and raise the potential of the person who decided that we didn't need to say it get labeled as a potential domestic terrorist.
                    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                    sigpic

Comment

I say get rid of it it's as useless and outdated as the shinplaster. We shouldn't be pledging allegiance to our country, but instead, be pledging allegiance to our family and friends, and maybe to the constitution (although we have no power to protect the constitution so there's no point, really). If my country is doing something wrong, I have every right to speak out against it, or even leave it if the situation warrants it. Just what is the government afraid of, really?
                      What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
                        Just what is the government afraid of, really?
                        Oh that's easy. The Government is afraid of an "Informed Public".

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                          The local schoolboard here still does the morning anthem, I think it's good, especially since it doesn't say anything 'too' pledgey, I guess. Its kinda just saying 'if Canada gets invaded I won't roll over and not help.'

As far as Americas pledge, I wouldn't mind doing it if I were there, but I see where peoples concerns come in, especially those of diverse faiths.
                          Haha it wasn't even our school board. It was just our school when the one dude was principal. He started when I was in grade 6, so I was only there for 2 years of anthem singing. We always sang it at assemblies though (I think everyone does in every country?)

Comment

They don't sing anthems in school assemblies here... in fact they don't even sing at assemblies very often.
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
                              ...We shouldn't be pledging allegiance to our country, but instead, be pledging allegiance to our family and friends, and maybe to the constitution (although we have no power to protect the constitution so there's no point, really)....
                              I'd like to see our ALL of OUR elected officials pledge allegiance to us (The People) and really mean it, rather than pay lip service to this:

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
                              But any words can come out of any mouth, if that mouth is given to fibbing.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X