Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

  1. #1
    Sr. Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    196
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Theistic Luciferian
    Location
    United States

    Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    My religion falls under Gnosticism, but I'm honestly not sure where to post. Gnostics do believe in Jesus, although I do believe that Gnostics are against the Abrahamic beliefs. If we can't have a Gnostic sub forum, exactly where should I post questions about Novus Spiritus?

    And for that matter, is there anyone else who follows Novus Spiritus? I haven't found a proper Novus Spiritus forum, although I have joined some good groups on Facebook.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

  2. #2
    PF Ordo Hereticus MaskedOne's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,805
    Religion
    Jedi
    Location
    elsewhere
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

    Re: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    Moved to site info.

    I don't see why Gnosticism wouldn't fall under Abrahamic. Past that, I think we have a grand total of one active gnostic right now if I include you in the count. The admins rarely make new subforums for a population that small.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

    "When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

    Yoda

    Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

    "But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

    John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

    "You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

    Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis



  3. #3
    Sr. Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    196
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Theistic Luciferian
    Location
    United States

    Re: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    Moved to site info.

    I don't see why Gnosticism wouldn't fall under Abrahamic. Past that, I think we have a grand total of one active gnostic right now if I include you in the count. The admins rarely make new subforums for a population that small.
    True enough about the population, although Gnosticism is very different from Abrahamism. The only things in common are that there is God and Jesus, but Abrahamic uses the Bible, while Gnostics believe that the Bible talks about the Demiurge (basically, the "Satan" in Gnosticism, yet kinda not Satan, hard to explain) and we have different holy books, and also believe that we all have Godhood, which would never fly in an orthodox church.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

  4. #4
    Biker Doc_Holliday's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    831
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Asatruar
    Location
    Good Ol' Canada
    Phrase
    Come join the murder, Come fly with black, We'll give you freedom, From the human trap.

    Re: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    Wrong, Abrahamic religions are ones that stem from Abraham and his descendents. AKA Jesus Christ, don't make a new definition for yourself. It is an Abrahamic religion, simple. Post there.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

  5. #5
    Sr. Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    196
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Theistic Luciferian
    Location
    United States

    Re: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    Wrong, Abrahamic religions are ones that stem from Abraham and his descendents. AKA Jesus Christ, don't make a new definition for yourself. It is an Abrahamic religion, simple. Post there.
    I think that Jesus did have the same lineage, but Orthodox Christianity considers many Gnostic teachings to be blasphemy, and Gnostics reject many Orthodox teachings. Abrahamic religion also says that we are sinful from the start, while Gnostics believe we are each born with a spark of the divine, making us innocent, and we become sinful as we progress until we learn how to fight our urges and go to our heavenly parents to help us.

    We also reject the notion of Jesus dying on the cross (the most important Orthodox Christian belief), and instead, we believe that his sacrifice was leaving the Pleroma to come to Earth to teach and spread Gnosis. We believe that he, his wife Mary Magdalene, and his mother Mary, all went to France and he fathered 7 children, and his bloodline still exists to this date (and the French will back that up).

    Lastly, we absolutely reject the book of Revelations and the Apocalypse. We don't believe in Satan, and we don't believe in Sin. We believe in Karma, which balances out life experiences. And we believe that Paul was a false Apostle, and the words he credited to Jesus were written in an Orthodox style, while Jesus was/is a radical.

    I could say more, but I'm still learning this belief system myself, and don't want to post any wrong/inaccurate info, so I will leave out stuff like the Pleroma, Demiurge, etc.

    Edit: Sorry if I'm coming across as annoying, and I realize that there isn't enough of a community to warrant another subforum, I'm just saying that Gnosticism is VERY different. Possibly same ancestor, but radically different beliefs.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

  6. #6
    Biker Doc_Holliday's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    831
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Asatruar
    Location
    Good Ol' Canada
    Phrase
    Come join the murder, Come fly with black, We'll give you freedom, From the human trap.

    Re: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    Dude, none of that matters. Abrahamic religions are by definition any religion that can trace their lineage back to Abraham. Good luck having Gnostic "CHRISTianity" without Abraham, and therefore christ. You belong to an abrahamic religion, even though you disagree with most abrahamic religions. I have a feeling you're trying to go against the norm, or be different than normal christians. But dude you're still Abrahamic.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

  7. #7
    Time Lord Apostle Malflick's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,380
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Christian, worships Yahweh and Jesus, but doesn't care if you don't.

    Re: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    Quote Originally Posted by jcaternolo View Post
    I think that Jesus did have the same lineage, but Orthodox Christianity considers many Gnostic teachings to be blasphemy, and Gnostics reject many Orthodox teachings. Abrahamic religion also says that we are sinful from the start, while Gnostics believe we are each born with a spark of the divine, making us innocent, and we become sinful as we progress until we learn how to fight our urges and go to our heavenly parents to help us.

    We also reject the notion of Jesus dying on the cross (the most important Orthodox Christian belief), and instead, we believe that his sacrifice was leaving the Pleroma to come to Earth to teach and spread Gnosis. We believe that he, his wife Mary Magdalene, and his mother Mary, all went to France and he fathered 7 children, and his bloodline still exists to this date (and the French will back that up).

    Lastly, we absolutely reject the book of Revelations and the Apocalypse. We don't believe in Satan, and we don't believe in Sin. We believe in Karma, which balances out life experiences. And we believe that Paul was a false Apostle, and the words he credited to Jesus were written in an Orthodox style, while Jesus was/is a radical.

    I could say more, but I'm still learning this belief system myself, and don't want to post any wrong/inaccurate info, so I will leave out stuff like the Pleroma, Demiurge, etc.

    Edit: Sorry if I'm coming across as annoying, and I realize that there isn't enough of a community to warrant another subforum, I'm just saying that Gnosticism is VERY different. Possibly same ancestor, but radically different beliefs.
    You do realize that the religions under the banner Abrahamic already do have massively different beliefs? Islam, Christianity, Judaism, and Bah'ai all have views that are very far apart from each other. Gnostic Christianity has been a part of the vast tapestry of Abrahamic religion for a long time, and it still is. It still comes from the root of Abrahamic thought, even though it has stemmed out from it. The branch is still a part of the tree, even if it doesn't touch the other branches.

    Its Abrahamic.

    - - - Updated - - -

    (also, Abrahamic doesn't always use the Bible. Islam has the Quran, and there are sects of different religions who have their own books/gospels that are still Abrahamic.)

  8. #8
    Sr. Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    196
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Theistic Luciferian
    Location
    United States

    Re: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    Hmm, I guess then it is technically Abrahamic.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

  9. #9
    Biker Doc_Holliday's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    831
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Asatruar
    Location
    Good Ol' Canada
    Phrase
    Come join the murder, Come fly with black, We'll give you freedom, From the human trap.

    Re: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    Quote Originally Posted by jcaternolo View Post
    Hmm, I guess then it is technically Abrahamic.
    Yup, so post in the abrahamic forums and I'm sure folks will help/answer/discuss with you.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

  10. #10
    Member okoserce's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    44
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Tao-Witch (I draw from both Eastern & Western practices)
    Location
    Chicago
    Phrase
    Live, Learn, Love.

    Re: Suggestion: There should be a Gnostic sub forum

    Maybe you should start a thread in the Abrahamic section and see what goes from there..while I wouldn't call myself a practicing Gnostic, I've always been fascinated by Gnostic lore.

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone know a good Gnostic Christian community?
    By jcaternolo in forum Pagan Traditions & Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22 Apr 2014, 20:00
  2. Gnostic Mass kickstarter (Thelema)
    By GabrielWithoutWings in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15 Apr 2014, 20:36
  3. Board Suggestion
    By DanieMarie in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12 Jun 2013, 17:50
  4. Magic: Self Suggestion?
    By egregor in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01 Feb 2013, 00:50
  5. My Gnostic exploration is complete.
    By GabrielWithoutWings in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22 Apr 2012, 05:06

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •