This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with kitten's paw?

My sister-in-law bought a kitten from the RSPCA last week. 2 days later, he developed a little red spot near his claw knuckles(?) on one of his paws. I went over yesterday for a visit and the other paw has developed one as well. The skin is not broken and he shows no signs of it hurting when you touch it. Has anyone seen this happen to their kitten before?

Re: What's wrong with kitten's paw?

Is there a rash or a bump? Maybe it's an allergic reaction to something.

If you're at all concerned about the health of your pet, seek veterinary care.

Comment

It does look a little bit raised. It isn't rash-like in that there's only the one bump on each paw.

The owner of the pet isn't concerned.. I am! lol. She doesn't intend to take him to the vet. I know we have some animal savvy people around, so thought I'd ask.

Comment

I'm on my phone on lunch right now so the pic is kinda grainy but it could be a number of things. Ringworm is a strong possibility, as are certain types of lump that can occur in young pets. I'll have a look when I get home to wee if I can see it better. Is she licking at them? Scratching? Limping? Is she indoors or outdoors?

Comment

Indoor cat and he is all but ignoring them from what I'm told. Sorry about the picture quality

Comment

The cat litter may not agree with kitty? I had a cat who was allergic to several of the litters we tried. That's how we ended up using Swheat Scoop.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

The pic is still not very clear so I can't really give you any ideas based on what it looks like (because I can't see it), just what it sounds like.

As I said before it could be a number of things. The fact that it is in the same spot on both feet is, ironically, is sign that it's less likely to be something like a lump or tumor. But it could be a contact reaction to the litter in his tray, or something else he digs around in. It could be ringworm. It could be rub sores from him sticking his feet under the door or cage bars or something similar. It could be lick sores from him nibbling or licking while no one is watching.

Personally, I would take the 'ringworm' tack with your sister-in-law. No one likes the thought of being in contact with ringworm (which in case anyone didn't know, is a fungal infection that is transferable between humans and animals), so that might make her take him to the vet. Otherwise there's not much you can do about it, because he doesn't belong to you.

Comment

Thanks nbdy and Rae'ya. I'll pass it on to her next time I see kitten. Hopefully it is just a reaction to something or a rub sore.

Comment

An update and resolution: Kitten's sores have started to raise now and they've gone from a red to more like a brown. The owner thinks it probably is something like ringworm as it's not making him sick, and he also had a tiny sore or two around his neck which the RSPCA lady who raised him told us it was just probably teeth marks from rough play. But they have come up quite large now.

He is about due for his 12 week vaccination and when he goes, SiL will get the vet to look at the lumps then. Should be in the next week.

If it is ringworm, I'd be surprised as my SiL handles him frequently and nothing has come up on her skin yet after 2 weeks. I'm not really sure how long it should take though. I hope I don't pick up anything as I have a baby due very very soon >.< I guess hand hygiene is paramount and probably for me I'll have to refrain from handling kitten at all til we know what it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X