The Ask a (Gay) Pagan Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ask a (Gay) Pagan Thread!

when I said that it doesnt matter I mean that it shouldnt to you, and it doesnt to any God or Goddess. You were created how you were meant to be. Its the other people's problem. Yes it affects you, like oppression affects anyone. and no matter how much it shouldnt matter, it does. I was trying to say something positive, saying that for a relationship between you and a god or goddess your physical self doesnt matter. its whats in your heart that matters in that relationship.
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[quote author=Dufonce link=topic=948.msg17797#msg17797 date=1290873542]
      when I said that it doesnt matter I mean that it shouldnt to you, and it doesnt to any God or Goddess. You were created how you were meant to be. Its the other people's problem. Yes it affects you, like oppression affects anyone. and no matter how much it shouldnt matter, it does. I was trying to say something positive, saying that for a relationship between you and a god or goddess your physical self doesnt matter. its whats in your heart that matters in that relationship.
      [/quote]

I understand that, but in this society, unfortunately, it does matter. To me, it affects how I think and feel and yes, the way that I identify with my deity. I have a very comfortable relationship with my deity, but it took me a long time to get there again. I felt completely disconnected with myself for a while there, like something was wrong with me. It really kicked me in the metaphorical balls, practice-wise.

I think it is what's in your heart that matters, but I think it's also important to note that there can be a lot of things that affect that. Does that make sense?
      It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
      -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Do you guys find that being GLBT and pagan adds another level of complexity to the dating scene, or are people you'd be interested in romantically generally accepting?
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=948.msg17819#msg17819 date=1290876586]
          Do you guys find that being GLBT and pagan adds another level of complexity to the dating scene, or are people you'd be interested in romantically generally accepting?
          [/quote]

It has never been an issue with me. I've never dated another Pagan; I've been with Christians and atheists, both of which were very accepting. My current lover is a "the Universe is God" type, so there are no issues there.

The only gay man I've ever met who had issues was my roommate's dressmaker. He's an older Christian fellow and you don't discuss religion in his presence.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=948.msg17819#msg17819 date=1290876586]
            [/quote]

I've found people (thus far) to be more accepting, but I've also met the exception to the rule. My first girlfriend in college was Pagan, and with that particular relationship, it was just another bonding point, and we found it kind of interesting to discuss and see where our thoughts and things differed. After that, I dated another girl who didn't really claim Paganism, but was very open-minded. She believed in spirits and ghosts and was really interested in tarot and a lot of things like that, and very curious about my spirituality. In both of these cases, I am still very good friends with these girls, even though we are no longer in romantic relationships.

And then there was L. Her family was very Christian, and we had problems...not just because of that. L kinda went..back into the closet, if that's what you'd call it, while we were dating. Everything was fine at first and then all of a sudden she'd hang up on me if someone walked by her while she was on the phone, and she didn't want anyone to know about me anymore. It sucked, because I felt like she was trying to force me back into the closet. It also didn't last long. I like to think it wasn't me, and I've been assuming that it had something to do with like...a religious and identity crisis. We don't speak anymore, because something like that just...wasn't cool.

But aside from her, I've found that most girls I've been interested in either don't care or are much more open to the possibilities.
            It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
            -Adam Lambert

Comment

Do you ever get told "you can't be Gay and pagan"? If so, how do you deal with this?
              "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
              - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

[quote author=Amelia-Mary link=topic=948.msg17866#msg17866 date=1290892825]
                Do you ever get told "you can't be Gay and pagan"? If so, how do you deal with this?
                [/quote]

I've never been told that, not directly. I did read a while back about a fellow by the name of Mark Ventimiglia who is (was?) a Steward of Seax-Wica. He claimed that homosexuals cannot be Wiccans because "it's Goddess and God, not God and God."

Admittedly, aside from some fluffies I knew in high school, I've never met another Pagan. None of the Pagans I've interacted with on the Internet has ever had an issue with me, though.
                Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Amelia-Mary link=topic=948.msg17866#msg17866 date=1290892825]
                  [/quote]

Nope, although I've had Gardener's views tossed in my direction once or twice. I generally just say "Good to know...but I'm not a Wiccan." and move on with my life. lol.
                  -Adam Lambert

Comment

[quote author=kijani link=topic=948.msg17901#msg17901 date=1290904724]"Good to know...but I'm not a Wiccan."
                    [/quote]Good for you ...
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=PharaohKatt link=topic=948.msg17487#msg17487 date=1290785026]
                      What questions are we asking? A few have already been raised.

Truth is, things can be hard being both not straight and pagan. We get to come out of the closet twice, so to speak. It's not that it's a separate tradition, just another facet of a complex identity. For example, how do you deal with balancing masculine and feminine energies when you are with someone of the same sex?

And if someone is having trouble, maybe we can offer support.

Ciuld be it fits somewhere else, though. Where would you put it?
                      [/quote]
                      I find it interesting that this came up"For example, how do you deal with balancing masculine and feminine energies when you are the with someone of the same sex"
                      I have been tossing a similar problem around as a solitary practitioner how do you balance the masculine and feminine energies when you are alone?
                      I fail to see what ones sexuality has to do with defining a religion as it should not matter you are what you are. To force or imply someone needs to separate them self in order to keep from muddling someones view from outside of your religion is another way of I'm not one of them. Support is a good thing and we all can use it.
                      Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

[quote author=Monk link=topic=948.msg23907#msg23907 date=1292949955]
                        I find it interesting that this came up"For example, how do you deal with balancing masculine and feminine energies when you are the with someone of the same sex"
                        I have been tossing a similar problem around as a solitary practitioner how do you balance the masculine and feminine energies when you are alone?
                        I fail to see what ones sexuality has to do with defining a religion as it should not matter you are what you are. To force or imply someone needs to separate them self in order to keep from muddling someones view from outside of your religion is another way of saying I'm not one of them. Support is a good thing and we all can use it.
                        [/quote]
                        Sorry. I left out the word saying.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

The point is that one's sexuality -can- affect how we worship, just like being solitary or in a coven, or vegan or (insert something here). When you are homosexual, it is just part of who you are, and depending on who you are and how you do things, it can affect how you worship. I'm not saying it's the same thing and I'm not saying any one group needs more support than any other. I started this thread because this is a topic that is of interest and relevant to me and I wanted to be able to answer questions or suggest things to people who had questions or anything. I did not force anything, but then again, I may have misunderstood your wording.
                          -Adam Lambert

Comment

[quote author=Dufonce link=topic=948.msg17478#msg17478 date=1290783919]
                            i have been keepin quiet. im straight but i have plenty of gay\lesbian\bi friends... so dont get me wrong by saying this...

does this really belong in a pagan traditions thread? i could be misunderstanding but wouldnt this say its a pagan tradition of being gay? what gods does the gay tradition support? what is it structured like? this confuses me.

this thread placed improperly can cause more generalizing that we're opposed to. im not trying to be mean. i just want you to see how some people may percieve this. i dont mean to hurt anyone i just think this may be the wrong place on the forum. and its an ask a thread... what questions are we asking... seems more of a discussion.
                            [/quote]
                            I should of have included the quote that I was making a reference to. This is what inspired the statement about being forced not anything you have stated.

Comment

[quote author=Monk link=topic=948.msg24151#msg24151 date=1293043914]
                              I should of have included the quote that I was making a reference to. This is what inspired the statement about being forced not anything you have stated.
                              [/quote]

Thank you for clarifying. I explained the reasoning to Dufonce as well. I started this thread for three reasons:

1. I am Pagan
                              2. I am openly gay
                              3. I know that both of the above groups sometimes have issues. I also know that for me personally, my sexuality is a part of me, and I have incorporated it into how I worship.

As I've said, I'm not saying that it always affects worship, but for some people it does. Depending on where you live as well, gays even in the pagan community meet a lot of resistance. This forum is for religious and spiritual discussion, and this thread is for questions and discussion about gays and Paganism---how it mixes, how it doesn't mix, resources, questions and answers, etc.
                              -Adam Lambert

Comment

My son is openly gay and a gay activist in the metro Detroit area. So I'm aware of the problems the gay community face's everyday every where. My whole family has recently been faced with three of their young friends committing suicide because of the pressures of being gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X