This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Git Fit!

So...I know alot of people are concerend with different aspects of health and wellness, and I figured we could use a spot to discuss what works/doesn't work for us, what new info is out there, etc.

Today, I ran across this nifty article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=0
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Git Fit!

For a minute there, I thought you were talking about Git for software source control and I got all excited. :c (For the curious, here's a link: http://git-scm.com/. You probably won't understand it unless you're familiar with software development. XD) Why yes, I *am* a nerd.

To get on topic, I just go with the basic formula of "calories in + calories out + moderation = healthy". That usually means at least an hour of exercise a day, along with healthy meals. I know a lot of experts recommend snacking between meals to help control hunger, but all I do is eat three times as much as I normally would because I deal with a bit of bulimia/EDNOS that seems to be triggered by snacking.

I'm convinced that a good spiritual practice is critical to good health. It doesn't have to be deity-based. It just needs to help you relax and connect with. . . I dunno, the bigger picture, I guess? It's easy to get so entangled in life's tiny details that we tend to lose sight that we're a bunch of hairless apes on a rock that's hurtling in the void of space.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

This is funny, I just started a workout routine that involves doing just what the article says. I figured, since long periods of working out are probably hazardous in hot weather, especially when one, like myself, isn't used to the heat and I sweat even more, maybe I should just do small exercises throughout the day and gradually accustom myself to it . It's good to see a medical article that says this shows promise. Yay for health.

Comment

Well, I'm still overweight, but it's all of the starch that I take in. I eat a ton of chips and junk food because my job lends itself in that direction, and I work graves so...yeah...temptation is easy when restaurants are scarce.

That being said, I lost about ten pounds using a pedometer and an app on my phone to track my calories (MyFitnessPal - light advertising banners, but free otherwise). I have about another 20 to go before I'm happy...gotta quit smoking first.

My wife has lost around 30 pounds jogging using "Couch 2 5k", a running app that starts you off slow and builds on it's own training to get you to a point where you can run 5k's. My wife has run 5 or 6 over the last year, been jogging for a little over a year...unfortunately her body has been resisting and breaking down in unexpected ways, so improvement has been slow for her.

I used to bike a bit, and I've thought about biking to and from work from the trailer when I'm on the other side of the state...it's only about 4 miles. But the downside is that it's also through the desert, which means it's dusty and the wind is blowing all of the time...and while I wouldn't mind riding 4 miles mostly downhill *to* work, coming back, mostly uphill after a 10 hour shift would be a fairly shitty way to end my day. I'll think about it

GG has recently started eating a "more vegan" diet just to eat healthier...there's no political or environmental point for her, just health. I'd say mixed results so far, although she has found a few adequate replacements for some things (seriously, spinach pasta...at least whatever brand she's gotten in the past...tastes just like the real thing, texture and all...the color is a little off though) but others (tofu burgers) she said she'd rather eat a salad.

Personally I believe vegetables are for smoking. Thank you, good night. Don't forget to tip your waitress!

Comment

Well if you're looking for vegan/vegetarian alternative Morningstar has been our go to for that. It's not the cheapest but if you don't eat a whole lot of meat anyway it's not too bad. I've lot a little bit of weight but I'd love to just be healthier, that's really my only goal on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
            To get on topic, I just go with the basic formula of "calories in + calories out + moderation = healthy".
            As someone with quirky genetics and an immune system that has completely destroyed my thyroid, I can fully attest that this unfortunately doesn't entirely work for a good portion of the population. I'm not saying this to be critical of your statement--for lots of people, it *is* that simple...if you eat less and exercise more (and probably both), there's no reason that one can't loose weight appropriately or maintain a healthy weight.

But...weird stuff like gut flora get in the way, and diet becomes more about what you are eating than the calories in it. Also interesting...a few years ago, NOVA (I think--I know it was PBS) did a documentary on a group of "normal" people (and they were all non-runners) that trained to do a marathon in six months...despite all the exercise they were doing, only one person lost weight...and it took her a near starvation diet (which also led to her passing out on a run) to do it.

I've been working on trying to feed my gut flora to encourage the growth of skinny bacteria. Not because I'm ever going to be skinny again (at my smallest--which was only a size 8, it took a 1200 calorie a day diet and 2 hours of exercise daily to main it), but because I'd like to keep up with my kids and their rediculous amount of energy!
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I know when I was actively trying to lose weight, drinking a metric hellish ton of water helped quite a bit considering i was used to just drinking lots of soda from work (lets face it-I was there all day and it was free) and doing a lot of workout dvd's despite any potential picking on me from friends that could possibly come my way.

My favorites were the TaeBo series (specifically the boot camp ones) and a *really* super intense set called MMA TapouT XT. Fair warning for anyone wanting to start that one-its great, the only thing you need is a resistance band, but oh dear gods will it kick the crap out of you if you're not used to something that extreme
              Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
              Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                As someone with quirky genetics and an immune system that has completely destroyed my thyroid, I can fully attest that this unfortunately doesn't entirely work for a good portion of the population. I'm not saying this to be critical of your statement--for lots of people, it *is* that simple...if you eat less and exercise more (and probably both), there's no reason that one can't loose weight appropriately or maintain a healthy weight.

But...weird stuff like gut flora get in the way, and diet becomes more about what you are eating than the calories in it. Also interesting...a few years ago, NOVA (I think--I know it was PBS) did a documentary on a group of "normal" people (and they were all non-runners) that trained to do a marathon in six months...despite all the exercise they were doing, only one person lost weight...and it took her a near starvation diet (which also led to her passing out on a run) to do it.

I've been working on trying to feed my gut flora to encourage the growth of skinny bacteria. Not because I'm ever going to be skinny again (at my smallest--which was only a size 8, it took a 1200 calorie a day diet and 2 hours of exercise daily to main it), but because I'd like to keep up with my kids and their rediculous amount of energy!
                Crazy. Since I started running a year ago, I've lost 20lbs (yeah, on me, I wasn't that big to begin with). And other than trying to maintain a gluten free diet (which I don't always succeed), I basically eat whatever I want. Lately it's been pretty bad - the long drive home after a long day at work has been lending itself to cheezies and cookies as road snacks when I get fuel, but even so, I've only gained a few lbs from it. Seems like for my body, so long as I run twice a week, I stay a solid 145lbs.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm trying again. A slightly different system. But enjoying it so fat. Pretty much it's weights training and 6 small meals a day. Been on it for a week (doing weights etc for a month now, eating plan is new). I haven't lost any weight or body fat% yet, but I've lost centimetres. So I'm happy so far
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment