This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

growing my own herbs

i am wanting to grow my own herbs, what are good herbs for someone to begin growing?
    I am not one with a "green thumb" i actually have a black thumb i am not good with plants but i cant afford herbs so i think ill give it a shot.:B):

Re: growing my own herbs

Hi Jaidynfaith, good on you for deciding to grow your own herbs. Have a think about what herbs you like to cook with and whether you want to plant them in the ground or pots and then go from there. Some people will mention climate as well, and although I agree it's a sensible consideration, I haven't found the climate affects my herbs very much. But I live in a moderate climate. As far as where to plant, pots are best imo because you won't have to worry about weeding too much and you can position the pot wherever is best for the plant rather than having to choose plants based on the amount of sunlight your patch of ground will get. An obvious popular choice to grow is basil and it's a fairly hardy plant. Basil loves the sun which is great since you may be coming into summer now and it likes to be watered often. And who doesn't like pesto???

If your family or friends grow basil, you could ask for a cutting instead of buying one. You get the cutting and put it in a glass of water for a little while and wait for it to shoot roots and then plant it. http://www.17apart.com/2013/07/how-t...asil-from.html Shows you how to do this better than I can explain.

If you decide not to propagate from a cutting, get seedlings over seeds if you can and don't buy from a chain store. Imo markets or specialty nurseries are best as the plants are usually more weather hardy.

Whatever you decide to grow, remember that at times no matter what you do, the plant is just going to die anyway for reasons unknown. It took me about 4 goes before I got the hang of buying, growing and harvesting a basil plant to a standard I was happy with and proud to show to people. I've got two big wooden planters out the back of my house now, a couple of fruit trees and some chilli plants in pots as well, now. It's been very rewarding to simply pick what I want out of my garden to add to my cooking. It really saves a lot of money for very little effort and I have more than my family can consume, so I am able to make extra for others or I can make trades. A packet of chilli for a few tomatoes for instance.

There's already many threads on here about herb gardening as well, so continue to search and glean. I've found a lot of people's advice to others very helpful in being successful.

Comment

Another plan for container is mint. It is a very forgiving plant (just try to kill one ...) with many uses -- put it in a rub, add it to stir fry, snip a branch off and steep some fresh mint tea, or (my summer favorite) put a couple of sprigs in a half gallon mason jar with ginger, lemon, and water and let sit for a day for a very refreshing infused water.

If you like Italian, oregano is another easy one. I have it in a bed with the mint and they each hold their own. If you do tarragon, another hardy herb, don't let it go to seed. I swear, the thing is a weed. I have also found cilantro to be resilient. Maybe for fun you could do nasturtiums -- it is a flower, but edible and delicious. Ditto for easy-to-grow marigolds. I like to plant herbs and flowers together. All of the ones I've mentioned self-seed from year to year here in the DC area.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
        Another plan for container is mint. It is a very forgiving plant (just try to kill one ...)
        Haha!! nbdy you are so right. My chocolate mint has resurrected itself around 4 times now. Once, it looked utterly dead and dried up but I kept watering it and it revived after just a few days.
        One thing I'd like to start doing is plant herbs native to Australia and see how they go. Wattleseed sounds like a good choice!
        As a flavour, wattle has a coffee, chocolate and hazelnut character and is absolutely delicious, particularly in cream, ice cream and desserts. - http://cherikoff.net/articles/functionals.htm
        I'm not sure what family of wattle that seed is from though and whether it's a bush or a tree. hm..

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
          Haha!! nbdy you are so right. My chocolate mint has resurrected itself around 4 times now. Once, it looked utterly dead and dried up but I kept watering it and it revived after just a few days.
          One thing I'd like to start doing is plant herbs native to Australia and see how they go. Wattleseed sounds like a good choice!

I'm not sure what family of wattle that seed is from though and whether it's a bush or a tree. hm..
          Haha, I hope my lavender plant resurrects! It's dead, but.... How can I up the chances of it coming back to life?

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
            Haha, I hope my lavender plant resurrects! It's dead, but.... How can I up the chances of it coming back to life?
            Lol ^.^ not sure about Lavender. I've planted two or three lavender plants and none have survived! They're a bit expensive to keep buying so I might give up. I'm growing Sweet Peas instead. lol Wish you luck!
            I love your signature btw.

Comment

I'm growing oregano, thyme, lavender, rosemary and sage all in one pot, 2 varieties of basil in another pot, and 4 varieties of mint in another pot, and they all seem to be doing a-okay. I've never had a problem with lavender. I think people forget that it likes its soil a little drier than other flowering plants.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                I'm growing oregano, thyme, lavender, rosemary and sage all in one pot, 2 varieties of basil in another pot, and 4 varieties of mint in another pot, and they all seem to be doing a-okay. I've never had a problem with lavender. I think people forget that it likes its soil a little drier than other flowering plants.
                Your Lavender flowers may come out a little oily from having them in the same pot with Sage and Oregano. I just make sure to cure them about a week longer than I normally would, and they lose enough of the "Italian"
                scent to use in teas, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X