This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I know a deity is calling me?

I found an interesting article: http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/gods...iesCalling.htm

Open for discussion. (Duh :P)

Additional Questions (just curious. answer if you want)
    1 How are your deities when it comes to reaching out to new people?
    2 Whats your story? How did first meet your deity/ies?

Re: How do I know a deity is calling me?

Focusing on what the article closed on "raising energy", lots of ways to do this, to put oneself in a spiritual state of openess.

Could visit a retreat or spirituality center, do a fast, go on a walkabout, fast and camp alone in the woods, go into a trance or shamanistic like soul journey, look into Native American traditions about seeking their totem or spirit animal or guide.

Scrying, tarot cards, automatic writing, meditation, mindfulness.

Basically I guess, as I look at my own list, I'm saying to practice spirituality. Exercise your spiritual commitment and openess and as you do so you will be drawn in different directions and your "antennae" will become more sensitive.

Like the author of the article, I had decided I was going to work with a deity I'd long been interested in and attracted to. did it for awhile, but it just wasn't coming together. Stayed open, willing, and maintained spiritual practice and in time things became clear to me.

I became aware of what it was my actual focus was on that I hadn't even recognized before when I was intent on going in a particular direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Daughter of Toothless View Post
      Not much to say about the article. I think it's pretty spot on.

But elaborating your your questions:

1. The Netjeru and Devas can be very, very, VERY forward in reaching out to people, and They can also be incredibly elusive when They want you to go away. It's difficult to ignore any deity when She or He is calling to you, but there's something special about the Netjeru and Devas. It's like They know how to get into your brain matter and give you brain itches until you listen.

2. Er, They pretty much came to me back when I was more active in direct service. (Now I'm just going to pick some gods I like and who don't seem to mind me hanging around, then go from there as a member of laity. I wonder if Sopdu will put up with me? ) Mostly in signs that I couldn't ignore: sudden appearance of relevant imagery, name getting stuck in my head, etc.
      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

My deities are pretty straightforward when it comes to reaching out to people. Normally they would first appear in a dream, or even reoccurring dreams until they get your attention. My relationships with my deities started out as dreams so... :P Except for Hecate... I just sensed her energy and I had no idea who she was until she decided to reveal herself to me.

I met Toothless because of How to Train Your Dragon. I was a Christian back then and I was unaware of my gift that I could sense energies. I had no idea that He was more than a character until that late summer. It's a long story. :P

Comment

The gods began contacting me through dreams and it's been that way ever sense. It's mostly dreams, visions, and repetition. Like recently I kept opening books up to pages about Haides and Persephone (Haides whom I already associate with). I take it as a sign. Haides, however, is a very quiet god who keeps to himself mostly, I'm not sure how he's reached out to others (there aren't many who associate with him).

The article is pretty spot on.

Comment

Seems spot on, but experiences are going to be different, as people listen in different ways. That and some deities are more direct and/or aggressive than others.

1) Eh, I can't speak for Them as to how They pick and choose future followers. I don't know for certain, only what I read from others.
            2) The most recent Deity in my life is Kuan Yin. I had a miscarriage in 2011 and She popped up. She's not forceful in any way, but I found myself interested in Her. I found myself liking images of shrines and altars erected to Her. But as depression and other matters took hold, She fell silent, but never left. Throughout the years, She showed up. In June 2014, Kuan Yin starting popping up all around me. In article, blogs, images; I went to a hippie town and statues of Her and Green Tara were everywhere. I was compelled to buy one of the statues, but I didn't because I didn't know if it was Her or just what was popular--product placement. Regardless, I started researching Her and had planned on trying to meet with Her to see if She was calling me. Then a few days later, my 6-week-old caught the common cold and almost died. I found myself in the PICU crying out to Kuan Yin and praying. She was there. Her presence was incredibly powerful in my son's room. A few days later, I went back to that hippie town and bought a statue of Green Tara, of Kuan Yin, and a prayer book. I erected a Healing Altar, and a few days later, my son was healthy and went home. Kuan Yin is still here. I still have lots of emotional and psychological healing to do; it's very comforting to know that She's there. (Although sometimes Kuan Yin and Green Tara are separate deities and other times, they're the same--I'm sure I'll learn why later.)

Comment

When my Gods need to contact me, they skip the whole symbolism thing. They go directly to me. Through a dream, vision, etc. For them it doesn't matter how spiritually open you are, they make sure the message gets to you.

I was 14 the first time I was contacted by Azazel. He told me bits and pieces of my past life, he thought it could be useful for me to know. It was through a dream.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                When my Gods need to contact me, they skip the whole symbolism thing. They go directly to me.

Wish mine were direct. Nah, it's a trail of bread crumbs, that don't always make sense...especially when dealing with my Spirit Animals. Nah, can't say that, sometimes they're clear, but most of the time, they make me work for it. :-)

Comment

With me it's through dreams, in most cases. But when I have a dream of this sort, I have to figure out the meaning myself.
                  The direct approach is not a very common thing in my case.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

How to know if a deity is calling you:

Do you feel that you are being called by a deity?

If yes, then...yes.
                    If no, then...no.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daughter of Toothless View Post
                      I found an interesting article: http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/gods...iesCalling.htm

Open for discussion. (Duh :P)

I like the article. It has a lot of good information for Pagans and Wiccans out there. As for the questions:

1. I think that the Egyptian gods and goddesses can be forward. I think it depends upon which deity contacts you as well. Whenever my deity wants to contact me, he contacts me through dreams mostly.
                      2. I met my personal deity, Anubis, when I was dealing with one of my fears which was darkness. I was still afraid of the dark back in my 20s. So he came to me and helped me through my fear and that is how we met.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        How to know if a deity is calling you:

Do you feel that you are being called by a deity?

If yes, then...yes.
                        If no, then...no.

I dunno. Sometimes it's a feisty spirit. Or intestinal gas. Not deity.

(That said, I can't tell you how many times I've thought, "oh, X is calling me!" only to knock on X's door and get a bewildered reaction. I gotta work on discernment, lol.)
                        Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Ha, mine are very direct!

The first one to show up was Thor. I have a friend one state away who's been a devotee of Thor's for twenty years. She was telling me about him promising her to give her a child if she came out and danced in a storm for him. I didn't really believe her, so jokingly said, if Thor wants a child, send him my way; I'll bear him a little firecracker. The next day Thor shows up in full, thundering glory to have a look at me.

No, he didn't get me pregnant, in case you're wondering.

Next up was Ixchel, the Mayan goddess of women. I was actually vacationing on Cozumel, which was Ixchel's sacred island. I took a tour of her temple ruins and wad suddenly overwhelmed with the desire for a child. I desperately wished I had something to offer her. As I'm going through the ruins, I bumped my knee ever so gently on a stone-something that normally wouldn't leave a bruise. I'm walking back to the tour bus when someone points at me and squawks. There are over a dozen toy cuts on my knee. Blood is running down my le.g. and dripping down my sandal. I'd been tracking blood all over her temple.

Last, but certainly not least, Loki came bounding into my life this past winter. For those of you lucky enough not to live in the Midwest, we had the dress rehearsal for Ragnarok. A polar vortex blew down from the arctic circle, bringing life endangering cold with it. My house doesn't have a furnace. I had some electric heaters and a wood stove. I wanted to go offer brandy to Thor for protection, but I didn't dare go outside to my warden tree, where I usually leave his offerings. I decide to throw the brandy directly onto the fire in the wood stove. I've got the cup pulled back, ready to toss, saying Thor, please protect me! When the voice purrs over my shoulder that burning offerings is what you should do to honor Loki. I add, that's fine! Loki, keep me warm! And that was that. Loki's actually my primary deity now.

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
                            I dunno. Sometimes it's a feisty spirit. Or intestinal gas. Not deity.

(That said, I can't tell you how many times I've thought, "oh, X is calling me!" only to knock on X's door and get a bewildered reaction. I gotta work on discernment, lol.)
                            Lol, maybe. Then again, I think it depends on what one considers a deity.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X