Greek Primordial Dieties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greek Primordial Dieties

I have yet to have practiced for the first time, but all throughout my journey and research I have always felt a deep love and connection to the night; imagine how thrilled I was when I first discovered not only about Nyx, but that she was within Greek Mythology which I have always found fascinating. It kind of thrills me that she is not too widely followed as that makes her all the more close and special to me. I suppose that would make me Hellenistic as she is the only Goddess so far that I wish to call upon?

Comment

Originally posted by Nyx_of_night View Post
      I have yet to have practiced for the first time, but all throughout my journey and research I have always felt a deep love and connection to the night; imagine how thrilled I was when I first discovered not only about Nyx, but that she was within Greek Mythology which I have always found fascinating. It kind of thrills me that she is not too widely followed as that makes her all the more close and special to me. I suppose that would make me Hellenistic as she is the only Goddess so far that I wish to call upon?
      You can call yourself Hellenist if you want. I believe that is entirely your choice. Also, I'm glad we have another who takes to the very ancient ones! I myself am interested in Gaia and Ouranos (Uranus), the Earth and Sky. Mostly I am interested in the actual Earth and Sky as my deities but it is easier to think of them in their Greek personifications. To me at least.

Also, a friend of mine had a cat named Nyx. The cat had to go to a shelter though and I am all torn up over not being able to take her in myself. But that is off topic and I apologize!

Comment

You could call yourself Hellenic but the Hellenic or Classic period covers the period 500 - 300 BC. Many whose practice focus upon the Hellenistic period, hellenismos or Olympianismos wise seem to focus upon the period known as Golden period which runs basically from 300 - 50 BC. Going with the protogenoi / Titans would place your stuff closer to the Archaic period which is 800 - 500 BC and is not typically identified as Hellenic. The protogenoi also take you back to the Mycenaen period and Greek Dark Ages period roughly 2000 - 800 BC which also is not identified as Hellenic either.

Within the recon practices it gets really sticky as to which period your pulling from and how you identify things.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Ah, I see; so it has more to do with the time periods than the type(s) of deities being called upon. That makes a lot more sense to me now XD

Comment

I didn't know that either, thank you monsno!

Comment

That's the way it's always been explained to me. Then it also spills over into geographical to an extent when you consider Macedonia is not really Greek, Thrace (modern day Bulgaria and area) is also not Greek but has a large influence upon Athens, Anatolia (modern day Turkey but ancient Caria, Ionia, etc) was not really Greek either but after the Trojan War you see a shuffling of the Olympian's and who has what powers and order of influence. Then you also have to factor in the polis' and how each was an independent state such as Sparta, Athens, Arcadia, etc before they become more Hellenistic as polis fades and culture arises. Granted more than that but thats the surface ideas anyway.

Comment

Yeah it is all very complicated over there. I think at this point though, with so few people (that I know at least) adhering to the old ways, even less the further back you go with your gods, you can probably just call yourself whatever you want. How many people know what Hellenism is anyways? I only learned about it when I joined this forum, and I consider myself an educated person.

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnFox View Post
                  Yeah it is all very complicated over there. I think at this point though, with so few people (that I know at least) adhering to the old ways, even less the further back you go with your gods, you can probably just call yourself whatever you want. How many people know what Hellenism is anyways? I only learned about it when I joined this forum, and I consider myself an educated person.
                  The problem with just calling yourself something is a lot of pagans, especially Hellenic Recon types know what it is and are very vocal about it. Some serious sites out there dedicated to it as well. Especially when you go into the notion of right practice versus right though and living which is a key component of many of those practitioners. Even more so when you notice they tend not to use Greece as a descriptor but use Hellas and occasionally refer to themselves as Hellines. If you factor in the term "Greek" is actually from Italian and how that group of people refer to them it makes more sense why the Hellines would refer to their practices as Hellenic / Hellenism in Hellinika (Greek language).

So it is problematic to just call yourself something or whatever you want in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                    The problem with just calling yourself something is a lot of pagans, especially Hellenic Recon types know what it is and are very vocal about it. Some serious sites out there dedicated to it as well. Especially when you go into the notion of right practice versus right though and living which is a key component of many of those practitioners. Even more so when you notice they tend not to use Greece as a descriptor but use Hellas and occasionally refer to themselves as Hellines. If you factor in the term "Greek" is actually from Italian and how that group of people refer to them it makes more sense why the Hellines would refer to their practices as Hellenic / Hellenism in Hellinika (Greek language).

So it is problematic to just call yourself something or whatever you want in my opinion.
                    I didn't realize there were so many people who actually cared. My apologies. I was wrong.

Comment

I didn't realize there were so many people who actually cared. My apologies. I was wrong.

I lay upon the fringes as I am not a Hellenic recon but probably close enough in many perspectives of how I see things. Further away in that I honor specific individual gods / goddesses vice the entire pantheon of gods / goddesses. Have not seen a lot of the in-depth discussions here but I've seen more than a few of them over the years and various sites. See it at times with those who follow a Roman / Italian (Pax Romana I think its called) inspired pathway as well. I've only encountered one person who claimed to be a follower of Etruscan stuff but that one was also very much recon and stickler for specifics.

Comment

PF is relatively low on active recons of any sect right now. We've had more in the past and I wouldn't mind acquiring a few more since they tend to spawn some educational topics but our current supply is limited. Pretty much, the further toward recon you go, the more important details are.

I would make a horrific recon but then I don't even make a claim to being Pagan. I do tend to find them interesting company though.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I don't think I could realistically do recon. I just don't have the means to be able to be so specific. Besides, I think as I want to work with Gaia and Ouranos, it would be nearly impossible reconstruct anything. Besides that, I am limited on money and space so I don't even have a alter or shine or anything set up for them.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            PF is relatively low on active recons of any sect right now. We've had more in the past and I wouldn't mind acquiring a few more since they tend to spawn some educational topics but our current supply is limited. Pretty much, the further toward recon you go, the more important details are.

I would make a horrific recon but then I don't even make a claim to being Pagan. I do tend to find them interesting company though.
                            I dont have the energy to be recon. Im a lazy pagan.
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                              I dont have the energy to be recon. Im a lazy pagan.
                              Aren't we all?
                              Although, I have started working on an altar-ish thing for Gaia. It will take a while. But I got a tiny wooden trinket box. And yes, that will be the altar/shrine thing. And its contents.

Comment

Aren't we all?
                                Although, I have started working on an altar-ish thing for Gaia. It will take a while. But I got a tiny wooden trinket box. And yes, that will be the altar/shrine thing. And its contents.
                                Oh I have all the altars, fancy trinkets, nicely decorated book cases, I just dont practise. I howl at the moon sometimes, but thats about it
                                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                                Seen the desert and the birds
                                You cut your hair short
                                Like a shush to an insult
                                The world had been yelling
                                Since the day you were born
                                Revolting with anger
                                While it smiled like it was cute
                                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment