Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greek Primordial Dieties

Originally posted by Heka View Post
    Oh I have all the altars, fancy trinkets, nicely decorated book cases, I just dont practise. I howl at the moon sometimes, but thats about it
    I wouldn't even know how to begin "practicing" really. But I don't feel particularly inclined towards it anyways. It's not necessary to do rituals, right?

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnFox View Post
      I wouldn't even know how to begin "practicing" really. But I don't feel particularly inclined towards it anyways. It's not necessary to do rituals, right?
      Prayer is a good start for devotions...

Homeric hymn to Gaia

Orphic Hymn to Gaia

a modern Psalm for Gaia

(modern) Adorations of Earth
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I bookmarked them all. Thank you! They will be very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnFox View Post
          What she said, but just setting up an altar, doing some meditation, reading something with intent, celebrating a season, praying for something/thanks etc. Maybe something will come to you.

I feel like I've said that on here already recently... hmm deja vu
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I admire/worship Gaia, and it's very hard to find any info or resources on how to connect better, so my random attempts of communication and offerings are the best I've got. I don't consider myself hellenic, because I really only have interest in Gaia and a recent interest in Nyx. Greek mythology was actually what gave me a good basis of information, as for offerings and practices, I've had to just try things and go with my gut instinct.

Comment

Oh I have all the altars, fancy trinkets, nicely decorated book cases, I just dont practise. I howl at the moon sometimes, but thats about it
              Sounds like me

Comment

I dont have the energy to be recon. Im a lazy pagan.
                Ah, that's my Lazy River Ride of religion, lol. I could never be a recon anything - it's too much like work.

I worship Luna, the Titan associated with the moon. I don't try to adhere to any ancient or traditional path - I say praiseful prayers to Her, at night I look for Her and kiss the back of my hand to Her... Any dancing or drumming I do, I dedicate to Her. I consider Her my Mother and patron Goddess. I get nothing but calm, peaceful loving energy from Her, and a solid undertone of experienced 'mother-wit', I guess you could call it. She's also got a saucy sense of humor

I've collected some lunar things and pictures and books, and I've set up a little shrine to Her in my room.

And that's about it. From my relationship with Luna and Gaia... the Titans strike me as old and wise and They generally don't want to move around too much or shake too much dust up. I think Sol/Helios is probably a notable exception to that impression.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post

Ah, that's my Lazy River Ride of religion, lol. I could never be a recon anything - it's too much like work.
                  Shamanism is the same for me atm. Efffooooorrrrttt
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'm still working very slowly on my Gaia shrine thing. My coven just had our first little group ritual together and I called on her to join us. Considering we were outside... well, she was indeed there. She's always there. I think that's what I like about her.

Comment

Re: praising the greek primordials

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      However...if I *were* to worship some of these deities (which may not have had an historical cult) in a manner fitting with their time and culture, I would start with the Olympic deity that supplanted them. Or I'd stick with the Protogenoi like Gaia that had an established cult, which we do know something of. Either way, this is one of those things where it looks like it is going to come down to personal gnosis.
                      What practices would be engaged in to attain this gnosis?

Comment

Re: praising the greek primordials

Originally posted by Masaru View Post
                        What practices would be engaged in to attain this gnosis?
                        Any kind of religious or spiritual practice can lead to 'UPG' - (unverified personal gnosis). It means things you experience for yourself through your practices. A strict Recon probably wouldn't worship or honor the primordial deities or Titans of Greece, et al. In part because it wasn't done back in the heyday of Greece, & also in part because there isn't much verified information on the Titans. Someone like myself, though - I pray, I give praise, I use various techniques to achieve altered states of conciousness and commune with my patron deities. Some of what I experience matches the mythologies and experiences other people have - and some of what I experience is uniquely personal to me.

Comment

Some of the most regular parts of household religious practice involved titanesses: Hekate and Selene were the centre of the Deipnon and Noumenia, respectively. Some celebrations were centred around titans and protogenoi, like the Kronia festival. So to say that it has no precedent, and is to be avoided, is a bit of an overcorrection.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
                            Some of the most regular parts of household religious practice involved titanesses: Hekate and Selene were the centre of the Deipnon and Noumenia, respectively. Some celebrations were centred around titans and protogenoi, like the Kronia festival. So to say that it has no precedent, and is to be avoided, is a bit of an overcorrection.
                            Haha, so not all the Recons I've been bitched at by have done their research, either!

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
                              Haha, so not all the Recons I've been bitched at by have done their research, either!
                              The thing one has to be careful of with Recons is what period are they equating to with regards to Hellenic culture? Most will focus upon either the Classical or Hellenistic period and ignore the Archaic period. So say they focus upon the Hellenistic period they will focus upon how things were then and ignore the two earlier periods and influences. As such the Protogenoi and Titans would have been modified and changed from the attributes they once had. Consider Nyx is greatly repackaged and aspects handed off to Selene as the moon, Hekate as the dark moon, Artemis as the Full or bright moon, etc, all to reflect the darkness of night and heaven.

A good source blog you might find interesting http://baringtheaegis.blogspot.nl/20...rshipping.html
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                                The thing one has to be careful of with Recons is what period are they equating to with regards to Hellenic culture? Most will focus upon either the Classical or Hellenistic period and ignore the Archaic period.
                                Which I think is a bit of a shame. Honestly, while I identify as Hellenistic due to the more syncretic methods I employ and how highly syncretic the Hellenistic period was, a lot of my personal study and personal spirituality has been directed towards the Greek Archaic period. The most evocative Hellenic art and literature, to me, was Archaic. The roots of what became standard Classical practice lay in the Archaic--especially with Greek drama and the Dionysos cult, in which I have a strong personal interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X