Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can someone define kitchen witch for me?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can someone define kitchen witch for me?

i am just looking for a straight forward definition of a kitchen witch.

Re: can someone define kitchen witch for me?

Have you tried google?

Mostly art.

Comment

A witch that does some, or all, of his/her work in the kitchen...

Comment

I'm not sure if this is really thread worthy, if you put this in the "What are you thinking about" thread, people would have answered.

Google often answers too.
        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
        And planted firm Britannia's flag
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        And joined in love together,
        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

A kitchen witch is somebody whose main magical focus centers around the hearth and home. Kitchen witchcraft is about finding magic in the mudane, like cleaning, cooking, homesteading or gardening. It's generally a solitary path.

You usually wouldn't find a kitchen witch dressed in fancy robes, performing high magic or elaborate rituals with expensive, bejewelled tools. Rather, you would find her in her kitchen, imbuing a homemade meal with magical intent, and using a wooden spoon as a wand. Her magic is simple, and generally centered around the kitchen/hearth, and the home.

A kitchen witch often relies on folklore and quick magic using basic pantry items to accomplish her magical feats. It's natural witchcraft, and the kitchen witch's home is the epicenter of her practice. She focuses on comfort, hospitality, domesticity, and family.

When she cleans her house, she finds ways to make it magical. Maybe a homemade cleaning solution with specific essential oils to rid the house of negativity. Maybe when she scrubs the floors of dirt, she also scrubs away ill-feelings or bad luck. Maybe she leaves bread and milk out in the garden for the faeries every night. Maybe her spouse is sick, and she cooks a meal with ingredients that will banish disease or attract health and wellness.

A great book, if you're interested in such a thing, is Cottage Witchery, by Ellen Dugan.

Comment

We have about a half dozen threads on this subject (tho i may have merged them into one giant thread...and if i didn't, i should)...i'd direct you to them if I wasn't on my phone and getting ready for bed
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I guess I figured it'd be quicker for everyone to just provide a basic definition. I feel like if I asked the question and a bunch of people just told me to go to Google, I'd feel a little miffed and embarrassed. It just seems a wee bit hostile?

It took me like a minute and a half to type that up, so I wonder where the need is to spend that same amount of time not actually answering the question. (Not trying to be offensive, so apologies if I am).

On the other hand, I realize that there are probably a billion threads on the same subject, and it's probably annoying to sift through mountains of repetitive posts, so I understand the need to keep things centralized. But personally, sometimes I'm wary of posting in dated threads for fear of being told that I'm rehashing irrelevant topics or hijacking someone else's thread, so maybe that's why the OP created a new one?

I also wonder about forum stagnation if new posts aren't made, because old ones are simply being read through silently, where new information may have surfaced, or a particular member might have gained a new perspective since the time of their response.

Am I rambling? I'm rambling. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by KarrinMurphy View Post
                I guess I figured it'd be quicker for everyone to just provide a basic definition. I feel like if I asked the question and a bunch of people just told me to go to Google, I'd feel a little miffed and embarrassed. It just seems a wee bit hostile?

Bolded mine. Doesn't that presume that everyone will have the same definition of what a Kitchen Witch is and to a degree the same Kitchen Witch for Dummies short answer? I've made no response to this point because to be frank Kitchen Witch has many possible definitions and sub categories that its not a simple one size fits all answer.

A hearth witch is a kitchen witch of sorts but focus upon differing aspects. An herbal witch is a Kitchen witch in many situation, but again practice and focus is quite different. A Granny witch can be a kitchen witch but again the home and hearth is the central point but not the kitchen and what tools are used. Even the sense of it being a solitary pathway is an assumed position as many famtrads could also fall beneath the Kitchen Witch collective usage but have little to no similarity to what others think a Kitchen Witch is. Even a Green Witch is folded many times into the Kitchen Witch category because of their association to cooking, herbal usage, family focus.

But perhaps the largest thing is asking broad overhead questions seems to have become the accepted practice vice actually applying oneself to the pursuit of knowledge. Many people still think you have to at least make an attempt to discover something before their just going to answer all your questions for you, or even try to. I'll bend over back wards to help a person who has at least made some effort to discover what something is or ask for clarification of an idea or concept. But I don't have time to do all the research and searches for them to answer such a broad generic question that in most instances and on most pagan sites has been discussed many times.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Very fair.

Comment

Working...
                  X