Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technology:good for humans,or Bad for humans?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technology:good for humans,or Bad for humans?

Ok,the question is this: How do you personally feel about technology,and how it effects your life and your existence.

How has it made your life better,and has it also effected your life negatively in some way?

Let it rip,the good,the Bad,and of course the ugly.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Technology:good for humans,or Bad for humans?

Medical technology is nice. If not for that, I'd be dead, I'm sure.

Central heating is nice, and so is indoor plumbing. I don't like freezing my privates...

I like my computer, when it is working, because I can be a hermit and not be a hermit at the same time. It also contains cool toys.

The only problem I see with technology is that it is possible to become over reliant on gizmos and gewgaws, and imagine that one can't live without them.

Ya can, its just not as fun.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Were it not for technology, we would not be human.

Using a stick to get termits from a termite hill is technology. Burning meat to make it more digestable is technology. Chipping parts of a rock away to make a cutting edge is technology. Shaping mud into a concave depression for cooking is technology. Stringing gut on a curved branch to loose feathered projectiles tipped with pointy rocks is technology. Carving lines into clay tablets and mashing plants into ink and paper so that information can be stored without the need for a person to deliver the information is technology. Building temples for offerings to deities to ask for their favor is technology. Trading sticks or stones or bits of metal for a cow or a chicken or a loaf of bread is technology. Clothing, housing, food systems, government...all these things are technology.

And for better or worse, it has made us what we are as a species.

Most of the time, I'd say better. Certainly we have done some very bad things with technology. Certainly individuals have engaged in heinous acts with techonology. But that isn't the fault of techology.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        Medical technology is nice. If not for that, I'd be dead, I'm sure.

Central heating is nice, and so is indoor plumbing. I don't like freezing my privates...

I like my computer, when it is working, because I can be a hermit and not be a hermit at the same time. It also contains cool toys.

The only problem I see with technology is that it is possible to become over reliant on gizmos and gewgaws, and imagine that one can't live without them.

Ya can, its just not as fun.
        You just got the words out of my mouth.
        Yeah, medical technology is really good. Plus - heating, new kinds of food etc' - all of them are really nice.
        But many people become obsessed with technology. For instance: TV, Ipads, Ipods (I don't see any difference between an Ipod and Ipad) and so on...
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I think I would miss heat,and cooling. The refrigerator to keep my food from going bad of course. The internet yes and no because it seems a two edged sword at times. Video games,yes and no cause there are most likely better things I could be doing with my time.

But could I survive without some of them,not really sure because I have gotten so used to them being there.

For certain I could not do without indoor plumbing...
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

If not for "technology" (our ability to create machines that do work) we wouldn't exist as a species.

Despite people like Sarah Palin, on the whole, I'd say technology is "good"

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
            (I don't see any difference between an Ipod and Ipad) and so on...
            Ipod is the replacement for the "Walkman"- it's a personal music device.

iPad is a computer without a keyboard or mouse. Like a big iPhone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            What couldn't I live without? Well, I appreciate a good bathroom and shower...I would say running water is pretty important. Electricity I *could* do without, but I enjoy it immensely.

Comment

For me its more a matter of technolized versus civilized. Technology is not a bad thing in and of itself. Yet the more technolozied we get the further it seems we move away from being civilized and connected with the natural order of things.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
                Ipod is the replacement for the "Walkman"- it's a personal music device.

iPad is a computer without a keyboard or mouse. Like a big iPhone.
                Ipod - music
                Ipad - computer without mouse and keyboard.

Thanks, Rok
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  For me its more a matter of technolized versus civilized. Technology is not a bad thing in and of itself. Yet the more technolozied we get the further it seems we move away from being civilized and connected with the natural order of things.
                  This is confusing to me.

To be more "connected with nature" etc etc etc, wouldn't we, by definition, have to become less civilized?

The natural order of things is that the strong survive, they take what they want and answer only to someone bigger. That's the way it works for the smallest insects all the way up to the biggest beasties, stronger = better.

Civilization has been the act of "equalling" the playing field, so to speak. Making it so the musclehead with a tiny brain doesn't get to just take whatever he or she wants, but that there are rules and laws in place that give people a "fair chance" (ignoring, of course, the simple fact that it puts the "dumb" at a disadvantage). Now, we've tried societies that give everyone everything and there's no incentive to work (slaves!), and we've tried societies where everyone gave everything and got nothing. For the last few hundred years we've just been trying to balance the two out...and it's all "civilization".

But when you remove all of that? Well...human beings are, at their core, animals.

Comment

I'm a big supporter of technological innovation. without technology we would have shorter life spans and a decreased quality of life. with it I can meet people like me from all over the world, survive harsh winters, keep food fresh, learn about all kinds of things I may not otherwise have access to information about...the list is endless

Comment

technology is good, people get addicted/reliant on tech because they're not shown any better things to do otherwise (ie: 'why be patient when I can play on my gameboy' slowly develops into 'I can't be patient, my Ipod is most important'), luckily I kicked myself out of that mindset...
                      Work hard Play hard.
                      What is history?

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
                        This is confusing to me.

To be more "connected with nature" etc etc etc, wouldn't we, by definition, have to become less civilized?

The natural order of things is that the strong survive, they take what they want and answer only to someone bigger. That's the way it works for the smallest insects all the way up to the biggest beasties, stronger = better.

Civilization has been the act of "equalling" the playing field, so to speak. Making it so the musclehead with a tiny brain doesn't get to just take whatever he or she wants, but that there are rules and laws in place that give people a "fair chance" (ignoring, of course, the simple fact that it puts the "dumb" at a disadvantage). Now, we've tried societies that give everyone everything and there's no incentive to work (slaves!), and we've tried societies where everyone gave everything and got nothing. For the last few hundred years we've just been trying to balance the two out...and it's all "civilization".

But when you remove all of that? Well...human beings are, at their core, animals.

I suppose civilized is not a good word to use but its the closest I can think of in comparison at the moment. I suppose one could compare it to how a civilized grouping works compared to a technolozied grouping works. Take some first nation or aboriginal peoples who have a closer connection to each other as individuals but also as a grouping then view their relationship with the land. Even when modern medicine and stuff is factored in they still have a closer relationship with one another and their habitat.

Yet look at a more technolized society and you often see less community and social interaction but more reliance upon technology. Look at the US today for instance, fewer people know how to actually hold one on one correspondences and people skills. A fact remarked upon quite often, even to the point of the Texter who is so busy sending IM's and such they can't even speak to the person next to them. Connecting to the land is almost impossible for they can't even connect to the people about them. It's a poor comparison but many times it makes me think of the Disney movie Wall-E and how humanity is has.

Now I'm not saying being civilized is all that great and not without its own issues. Just that civilized puts mankind closer to a natural order than technolozied does. Can't really say an Agricultural based society is better but it would be a bit closer to the usage though in that instance it is a society not a civilization. That's why I say Civilized is not the best term but the closest I can think of. An industrial society can also retain its humanity I suppose but again its not exactly the right meaning either though a civilized society would have both agricultural and industrial aspects.

Bigger and stronger though does not always rely on the individual strengths but also upon the group strength. A lion is strong, the Pride is stronger when it works together, same with the Wolf an individual is strong but the pack is stronger. Yet both survive by working with their environment and its limitations and such. A bear as an individual is strong yet is it its strength that makes it fearsome or is it the perception of it by other creatures? For the old bear is seen in the same light as the prime adult or even cub at times so there is strength and perception of strength again. But its still tied to the land and its place within that system.

While humanity is an animal itself we corrupt and grow beyond it not do to strength or such but it seems by growing away. In the growing away we grow closer to our own demise it seems for we are not connected to nature. Sorry rambling now

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                          I suppose civilized is not a good word to use but its the closest I can think of in comparison at the moment.
                          The word you are looking for is primitive, which is an anthropological term referring to a preliterate and nonindustrial social system.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Without technology there would be no beer. I don't even want to think about that.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                              The word you are looking for is primitive, which is an anthropological term referring to a preliterate and nonindustrial social system.

Not quite as I'm not looking for or thinking about a pre-industrial system. Holding a connection to the natural cycles and rotation does not mean it has to be a primitive society or system. I do admit the industrial Rev, but especially the later Technological Rev, did cause a change from a natural based cycle of workings to a man made schedule which shifts away from the biological clocks, chronobiology I think it is called, within us that appear to be aligned to the sun perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X