Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X Things No One Tells You About Being Pagan . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X Things No One Tells You About Being Pagan . . .

Is the title of an article I'm working on.

I'd like some other ideas/opinions/suggestions on the subject. So far I have:

I didn't know I was 'Other'

I didn't know I only became Pagan after seeing 'Thor'

I didn't know I worshiped Satan

I didn't know I made blood sacrifices

Re: X Things No One Tells You About Being Pagan . . .

-I didn't know Pagans were occult (However similar, you can still be one without the other, but they seem to get thrown in the same basket a lot)
    -I didn't know this is a rebellious phase
    -I didn't know because I'm Pagan I must be Wiccan/practice magik

Maybe those, thought for a good hard 5 minutes about that xD, I'd very much like to read the article when you're finished :dummy:
    Work hard Play hard.
    What is history?

Comment

I didn't know how hard it would be to get candle wax out of the carpet lol

Comment

ooooh I'm liking this! *grabs popcorn and watches*

Comment

I didn't know that at some point I would be standing in a sea of skunk cabbages and saying Greetings, cabbages.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahll Haus View Post
            Is the title of an article I'm working on.

I'd like some other ideas/opinions/suggestions on the subject. So far I have:

I didn't know I was 'Other'

I didn't know I only became Pagan after seeing 'Thor'

I didn't know I worshiped Satan

I didn't know I made blood sacrifices
            lmao this is not helpful but I just have to respond...

I don't mind marking 'Other' (because really... are they supposed to list EVERY religion on those forms?)

I am Northern Tradition... and while I didn't become pagan after watching the movie 'Thor', attraction to the Norse gods were a huge part of why I'm on this path. And my first exposure to the Norse gods was things like books and television.

I do worship Satan (kind of... Demonolator, but close enough)

I do make blood sacrifices. In the sense that I bleed myself on a regular basis for my faith.

Comment

I didn't know we boiled babies down for the use of their fat.

I didn't know becoming pagan meant I was going to start hating Christianity, and other God-fearing groups.

I didn't know having Heathen tendencies meant I was a skinhead/racist.

I didn't know, when I began this path, nearly three decades ago, that my entire adult life would be wasted on a delusional fad.

I also didn't know it was going to be SO important for certain people to attempt to save me from myself, from suffering some deeply disturbed and irrational state of dementia.

Is it strange that I find immense humor in not meeting such expectations?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning

I didn't know becoming pagan meant I was going to start hating Christianity, and other God-fearing groups.
                I think the amount of energy Pagans spend on the issue of Abrahamic faiths may well be one of the most surprising facets of dealing with Paganism in the past 14 years.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Maybe those, thought for a good hard 5 minutes about that xD, I'd very much like to read the article when you're finished
                  Well, I'm making the pitch, but I can't promise it will get picked up.

I do worship Satan (kind of... Demonolator, but close enough)

I do make blood sacrifices. In the sense that I bleed myself on a regular basis for my faith.
                  I'll have to strike those off the list, then.

I also didn't know it was going to be SO important for certain people to attempt to save me from myself, from suffering some deeply disturbed and irrational state of dementia.
                  Yeah, it's funny how that works, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dahll Haus View Post
                    I'll have to strike those off the list, then.
                    You don't have to strike them off the list... and I wasn't being snarky about it... I just found it really amusing that I DO do all the things on your list so far lol. I have a twisted sense of humor lol.

Some language change may help. You could say:

I didn't know that I worshipped the Devil (VERY few Satanists and Demonolators use 'The Devil' in their work and it's how many of us differentiate between Satan and the Christian ideas of their Devil). Devil worship exists, but it's not really under the pagan umbrella.

I didn't know that I sacrificed babies. Or something. The problem with sacrifice is that some neo-pagans do in fact perform animal sacrifice (usually in very humane ways, much to the surprise of many people). Incidentally you may find it interesting that blood sacrifice is well documented in Viking age religions (not only animal sacrifice, but human sacrifice), which makes it quite relevant to someone exploring Asatru or other Northern faiths (or Celtic faiths, for that matter).

The problem with doing something like this for 'paganism' is that it is such a wide set of practices that invariably some of the 'assumptions' that people make about pagans are going to be true for some of us. Just because they are true doesn't mean that the negative connotations people attach to them are accurate, though. If this article is designed to clear up misunderstanding, then it's probably best for you to take the tack of clearing up the negative connotations rather than just denying that some of these things are a part of paganism. Some (private and public) neo-Wiccans and witches have been flatly denying very real aspects of the wider pagan community for years... and all that does is facilitate confusion and validate the inaccurate negative connotations that people attach to neo-pagan practices.

As far as myself goes, I have more 'I didn't knows' that relate directly to the behaviour of the neo-pagan community rather than the behaviour of people towards us or the assumptions they make... along the lines of Chain's 'hating Christianity' point. But I don't think that's what your article is about lol

Comment

How about
                      I didn't know we are all the same
                      ?
                      Seems one misconception is that all pagans are the same. We are not.

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnFox View Post
                        How about
                        I didn't know we are all the same
                        ?
                        Seems one misconception is that all pagans are the same. We are not.

Ooh, yup-yup.

I didn't know we all worship the same gods and goddesses.

I didn't know being pagan meant being a feminazi.

I didn't know that we were all vegan tree-huggers.

This list can go on-and-on. There's just too many misconceptions to list, completely.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Ahhhh! These are all things I have thought at times in my life so far .... "Bwuh? Is it just me, or what the ****? ME DO NOT GROK!"

Good thread, thank you

And good to know I am not alone in my "I did not know that ... what the ***?" moments.

Comment

I didn't know that when you became pagan you had to be able to shift friendships because of what so and so said, and have that change on a sometimes hourly basis depending on the wild hair in someone's arse

I didn't know that you could just trust the writings of one author over all other writings and logical sense

I didn't know every god is the same god, and that every goddess is the same goddess and that those who say otherwise aren't "initiated properly"

I didn't know that being unable to dish out mad amounts of cash at a pride meant you were "unwelcoming to the community"

Comment

I didn't know "selling your soul to Satan" was such a positive, gratifying experience!

I didn't know I was going to Hell with 2 thirds of the human population! That's going to be a really big party.

I didn't know people could block you from Facebook because of a status update!

I also didn't know family members could "reject you as part of the family" for being pagan!

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Working...
                              X