Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X Things No One Tells You About Being Pagan . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X Things No One Tells You About Being Pagan . . .

I didn't know that I would be asked about THE goddess as much as I am.

I didn't know that being female and pagan = being a witch

didn't know that my faith would be questioned if I didn't dress in black with a lot of flowy scarves and mysterious pendants.

didn't know that I would encounter many more deeply spiritual folk than angry goth teens.

didn't know how life changing and affirming practicing a religion could be

didn't know how many pagans there are all over the place!

Comment

I must be alone in that I don't generally have these problems.... Literally the only really insane misconception I have ever encountered was when I mentioned I was pagan someone thought I was talking about the motorcycle gang.... So mostly after that I quit bothering, if it comes up it comes up and I have had very few personal issues...
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Maria,I also had someone ask about that,living in NJ must make people paranoid. I had a "Proud Pagan" thing on the fridge,and a person asked the same question. Had to explain the difference.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Maybe this is just me but...

I didn't know I couldn't be both a Pagan and still understand fundamental scientific principles or study science. (actually my view is that they're both completely compatible, just possibly like talking about the same things in two slightly different languages...)

I didn't know i'd feel so guilty about telling people i'm not Christian / correcting people's assumption that I am Christian just because i'm white British / not Atheist because i'm a scientist.

Or Perhaps: I didn't know I was confined to being a Christian because i'm white British / Atheist because i'm a scientist.

Maybe that says more about people's general prejudices than being specifically about pagans though...

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
            I didn't know having Heathen tendencies meant I was a skinhead/racist.
            good one, Chain Lightning. REALLY good one.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know that when I declared myself to be a devoted, practicing member of a legit religion that it was "just a phase"

I didn't know my gods were fictional characters

I didn't know I was a heretical idol-worshiper, blasphemer, definitely Hell-bound

I thought that by being Pagan I was finding solace in the world around me as I see it, finding faith in the gods and spirits, finding magic in the universe... I didn't realize that made me evil.

Comment

I didn't know that we had an ancient Halloween God named Samhain! (Pronounced exactly how it looks)
              Or that we have angry, ancient, sacrificial gods who are hungryyyy...
              (Hehe, season 4 of Supernatural is full of "Pagan lore" that makes me shift uncomfortably, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Cerdivae Song View Post
                I didn't know that we had an ancient Halloween God named Samhain! (Pronounced exactly how it looks)
                Or that we have angry, ancient, sacrificial gods who are hungryyyy...
                (Hehe, season 4 of Supernatural is full of "Pagan lore" that makes me shift uncomfortably, lol)
                To be fair, Supernatural is full of reworkings of lore from many religions. Predominately Abrahamic, especially the middle to late seasons.
                Fun show.
                Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Michael conspiring to hasten the end of the world was odd....
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
                    To be fair, Supernatural is full of reworkings of lore from many religions. Predominately Abrahamic, especially the middle to late seasons.
                    Fun show.
                    It is fun! I love the show, I just have to laugh at it sometimes. c:

Comment

This one is directed at witchcraft, alone.

Nobody told me that I was going to be a warlock, if I started practicing witchcraft!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I didn't realize there would be such a thing as Pagan Option Overload. So many shinies...

Comment

I didn't know being pagan meant you had to believe in reincarnation. (I believe in Paradise and hell despite my heavy Dharmic influences)

I didn't know that being pagan meant your tradition had to trace all the way back to Atlantis/Lemuria/Mu/Other lost civilizations in order to be considered legit. (I believe the core essence of my beliefs stretches back far beyond written history, but my path emerged only in my life time. However, some people don't think that's enough.)

I didn't know being pagan meant you still couldn't revere shadow or honor death as part of life. (It amazes me how many pagans will squirm at the mention of Hecate. For the love of all the Deities one of her nicknames is Nurse of Children.)

I didn't know how much I would be spending on ritual implements, especially since I became a minister. (No seriously. It can be rather hard to find the proper tools for a good price some times.)

I didn't know it meant I was gay. (For some weird reason, one of the immediate questions people ask is if I'm gay or bi. I am not joking about that. It perplexes me.)

I didn't know how hard it would be to find a like minded coven/similar religious congregation. (It's so much harder than you think.)

I didn't know the overwhelming sense of peace, understanding, greater sense of tolerance, deeply beautiful religious experiences, and general self improvement would come with it. Accompanied by a greater sense of direction in my life and the importance of letting somethings flow as they will whent the time is right. (No witty comments here. Just the truth.)

I didn't know just how beautiful the universe is. (Same as the last one.)

I didn't know my friends, even the Christian ones, would be so damn supportive. (More positive commentary.)

Comment

The article is getting tweaked in writing. What I need more now are stories. I could use a few harrassment/discrimination stories, but there's no need to go overboard on those.

I am waiting for confirmation on if I can publish other people's experiences without reference, because I know some people aren't comfortable with that.

Comment

Harassment wise I don't have much, however people's first reaction is usually to assume I'm just copying something I've seen on Tv or a game, like Skyrim..
                              Work hard Play hard.
                              What is history?

Comment

I recently had a christian friend asking me about the black hat/black cat/broomstick stereotype, and if I found it annoying to be lumped into that stereotype all the time. You know like all the books and pictures and knickknacks that have that imagary on it?

I guess thats kinda the opposite to the norm, people usually assume that you wear a black hat and have a black cat, but in this case she was asking why that stuff was associated and if it bothered me.

But yeah, anywhk
                                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                                Seen the desert and the birds
                                You cut your hair short
                                Like a shush to an insult
                                The world had been yelling
                                Since the day you were born
                                Revolting with anger
                                While it smiled like it was cute
                                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment