This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Prayer Beads

So I picked up a book on pagan prayer beads and I find it fascinating. I understand they are used in recitation of chants, prayers, etc. Or as a reminder for daily devotionals of whatever sort you prefer.

Does anyone on here use these? If so, did you make them yourself? How exactly do you use them? Anything you can contribute, I'd be interested in hearing.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Pagan Prayer Beads

I have seen them used, and Torey had a set that he was using at some point, but they are not for me. They remind me too much of rosary beads (which are just the Catholic version of prayer beads... it's exactly the same concept and method of use as pagan prayer beads). Every time see a pair of prayer beads I automatically think of Our Fathers and Hail Marys. Which is not a bad thing... I have no negative memories or feelings about rosary beads.. the opposite in fact, in that I always found rosary beads to be beautiful and profound. The association is just too deeply ingrained in me to make prayer beads a useful tool for me anymore.

So you could say that I think that prayer beads are a beautiful and profound tool. But they are inextricably linked with Catholic prayers for me, so I find them difficult to use in a pagan context.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    How exactly do you use them?
    Specifically related to this question, you hold them in your hands and each time you hold a bead, you say a prayer. Then you move on to the next bead. Each bead can represent a different prayer or verse within a larger prayer, or the pattern of the beads can indicate how many repetitions of a prayer to do before reciting a refrain or a different prayer. Usually, the number of beads, the type of beads, the size of the beads and the pattern is all symbolic and is designed to help you remember the prayer or format of the prayer. You work your way around the string of beads back to the start, or keep going a certain number of repetitions or length of time.

The overall point of prayer beads is to set up a daily routine, but also to help change the state of consciousness. It is very spiritual and meditative to kneel and quietly work your way around the prayer beads. The rhythm of it induces a sort of altered state of consciousness that puts you in a different frame of mind. Even now, despite the fact that I have been pagan for longer than I was ever Catholic, just thinking about rosary beads triggers off a desire to go and sit in my ritual room and contemplate my faith. The beads themselves also become a ritual tool that has consciousness altering power of it's own, consecrated by your repeated prayer and meditative contemplation. That's why rosary beads are usually a treasured possession of nuns and devout Catholics.

Comment

When I was Orthodox Christian I frequently used a woven set of prayer beads. I found it quite peaceful and contemplative. I've actually been interested in getting a set for reciting buddhist mantras to induce a meditative state of consciousness.

Comment

So I picked up a book on pagan prayer beads and I find it fascinating. I understand they are used in recitation of chants, prayers, etc. Or as a reminder for daily devotionals of whatever sort you prefer.

Does anyone on here use these? If so, did you make them yourself? How exactly do you use them? Anything you can contribute, I'd be interested in hearing.
        I have mala beads that I have used. I discovered them though some tibetan Buddhism stuff I was into. So you coyld google that
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I really enjoy making and using prayer beads, I've used several different sets over the years. Right now there are three I use regularly. One is just a traditional mala made from lotus seed beads, which I use in the standard way, repeating a chant once for each bead. The second is one I made, it has eighteen beads in a loop, which drops down to a single larger bead, which I use in devotionals for Artemis. On the big bead I start with an opening prayer based off the Orphic hymn to Artemis. Then on each of the eighteen beads I recite and meditate on one of her titles/attributes. Then I end with the big bead prayer again. The third is another I made, just a string of small sandalwood beads. I originally was going to use it in a similar way as the last beads but for another deity, but I've just ended up holding it while praying/meditating instead. Not really one of the traditional ways to use prayer beads, but it's enjoyable, so...?

I also have an old set from several years back when I was an Egyptian pagan, it looks sort of similar to a rosary. It had a series of small beads, with two different types of larger beads, and starting/ending in an ankh. I don't actually remember the specific prayers I used anymore (they're written down somewhere), but the basic idea was an opening (and closing) prayer on the ankh, a particular prayer for the large blue beads, a particular prayer for the small blue beads, and there were five white beads where I would pray a different prayer for each of the five deities I primarily worshiped. It was the most complex set of prayer beads I've ever made, and I think they may have been a little too complex for me at times, but they were interesting to work with.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I have a Rudrasksha mala. It is used in hinduism to worship Shiva. It can be used as reciting mantras or invoking the name of a deity. I also enjoy wrist beads to help me remember throughout the day. However, all my beads for my hand broke

Some even use beads to help focus on their in and out breath.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded here. I made a set for myself and a couple sets for some friends. We are all using them as part of the learning process. I'm seriously considering making them to sell cause I love the process of it. That alone is kind of meditative... but I spent nearly $50 on beads and whatnot so I'd have to sell them if I want to keep it up.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded here. I made a set for myself and a couple sets for some friends. We are all using them as part of the learning process. I'm seriously considering making them to sell cause I love the process of it. That alone is kind of meditative... but I spent nearly $50 on beads and whatnot so I'd have to sell them if I want to keep it up.
                I know someone who makes and sells crystal ones, and takes orders etc, so I assume the market is there!
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Prayer isn't really my thing--until recently--but I've made and used them in the past, and will be making one for Kuan Yin. Normally, I just hold a statue of Her, but I feel it'll be easier with some prayer beads.

Comment

When I was exploring Celtic recon, I made a set of beads based on this book: http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Stones-...pr_product_top

As someone who enjoys meditation, I do like the concept of prayer beads. (Though more as a meditative practice than as a devotion to deity.) Sadly, though, the very nice beads I made aren't really relevant to my practice anymore. I'm hoping I might be able to gift them to a nice Celtic-focused pagan sometime.

Comment

Working...
                    X