This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is somebody a poser?

I was wondering what makes somebody a 'poser' or what makes it evident somebody is kind of just going through a phase and is practising paganism as a 'cool' thing to do, or to explore their liberty.

For example, if somebody is new to paganism and says they worship a god of war, mars for instance. And says that Mars is their patron god. But this person who worships Mars has many irrational fears, and a fear/disdain for fist fighting/any fighting at all. And generally possesses/exudes not one Mars like quality. Is this person just going through a phase and thinks saying they worship Mars is 'cool' or maybe they want to believe in their heart that they are chosen by this god because that'd be awesome. Or if a person rushes to tell everybody that they are pagan really quickly before really having more than a month under their belt?

The reason I ask is there seems to be an attitude that Paganism can't possibly be a phase, and we shouldn't think people are posers or people looking for labels. When I see these people a lot and it urks me sometimes.

So whats all you folks' opinion?
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Re: When is somebody a poser?

Of course there can be poser pagans. There can be posers for just about anything. I even knew of some people who were poser stoners. Yes, they would spread fake rumors about themselves smoking reefer so that they looked cool. Some real winners out there. Ultimately, all posers have one thing in common: they are not being genuine to who they really are. Sometimes you can tell, other times they put on a pretty good disguise.
    I would say that people posing as a pagan (or a punk rocker, metalhead, what have you) use what should be a lifestyle or set of interests as an identity. They don't really feel it in their hearts, so they wear it on their egos.
    Keep in mind, someone doesn't have to be an uber huge pagan in order to be genuine to themselves. Maybe they are just dipping their toes in the water. That's fine, as long as they are honest about it and don't make themselves out to be the reincarnation of a high priestess from some ancient druid order who can taste auras and smell thoughts or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
      The reason I ask is there seems to be an attitude that Paganism can't possibly be a phase, and we shouldn't think people are posers or people looking for labels. When I see these people a lot and it urks me sometimes.

I don't think it matters. I think that whatever someone's motivation is for claming to be part of a particular religion is isn't any of my business, nor is judgement of them something that I have a right to. I think that for every so-called poseur out there, there are several people with inferiority complexes pointing fingers. I am not an arbiter on authenticity. Sure, sometimes Pagansim is a phase. So what? Does it pick my pocket or break my leg? Who am I to say that they didn't learn something from the experience?
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I was wondering what makes somebody a 'poser' or what makes it evident somebody is kind of just going through a phase and is practising paganism as a 'cool' thing to do, or to explore their liberty.

For example, if somebody is new to paganism and says they worship a god of war, mars for instance. And says that Mars is their patron god. But this person who worships Mars has many irrational fears, and a fear/disdain for fist fighting/any fighting at all. And generally possesses/exudes not one Mars like quality. Is this person just going through a phase and thinks saying they worship Mars is 'cool' or maybe they want to believe in their heart that they are chosen by this god because that'd be awesome. Or if a person rushes to tell everybody that they are pagan really quickly before really having more than a month under their belt?

Sometimes that might be a reason to worship a deity opposite to them, because they are hoping that by worshipping them, they can become like them. Someone who's afraid might worship the god of war, so the deity can help the person become braver in life. But yeah some are posers, some are. You'll always find posers in every group.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          I don't think it matters. I think that whatever someone's motivation is for claming to be part of a particular religion is isn't any of my business, nor is judgement of them something that I have a right to. I think that for every so-called poseur out there, there are several people with inferiority complexes pointing fingers. I am not an arbiter on authenticity. Sure, sometimes Pagansim is a phase. So what? Does it pick my pocket or break my leg? Who am I to say that they didn't learn something from the experience?
          Well said, Thal. Ultimately, the only person who really knows their motivations for exploring paganism is the person themselves.

Comment

This is something I have experienced I've been called a poser due to my own religion which is mix of satanism and Wicca . I believe the idea of someone posing to be pagan is rediculous that being said someone might go through a phase were paganism is good idea or do it because they think it makes them look edgy and cool
            Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Want to know what's it like to be a poser? Just look at me!

I think the two faces of this issue that I wanted to point out have been already said by Thal and Iflewoverthecuckoosnest, whose name almost made me choke on letters.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I do not think we have a say or a right to say about another's internal spiritual walk. Yes we can comment upon what the external actions are but the actual deep though and experience is theirs alone.

Yet its the external that I think will both reveal a poser and a playgan. People might recall a Wiccan from a number of years ago who raised all sorts of hell that her rights were being abused and such because she was arrested for having a bonfire in her backyard. The police were getting blasted then the full story came out about her bonfire was made up of old styrafoam coolers and general trash. The toxic smoke and fumes that were being generated were a threat to the health of everyone in the area. Yet the general pagan population jumped feet first onto the band wagon about her right to practice and how she was being discriminated against. The typical don't ask just assume that is so prevailing in the pagan but especially Neo-Wiccan world today. I recall it wasn't till a lot of people started writing on the police page, sending letters to them that we supported their actions and were pagan ourselves that the crap storm died down.

I do think we have a right in whatever they do that is external, especially so when it casts a negative shadow over my own practices and how I will be perceived because of it. Sorry the bozo's out there reciting the Lord Prayer backwards to show they are pagan and witches I have a right to speak on as I already lived through that Witches are Satanic period that all that crap originated in. I have a right to critique all the "An it harm none!" speakers out there that profess to speak for me and my practice and cast a false image of me and my beliefs.

Sorry the impression of the harmless poser or playgan is not harmless. The plagan who runs around with a Thor's Hammer and talks about war is just as harmful as the racist who uses Nordic / Teutonic mythology to justify their hatred.

One thing I'd say is an identifier of a playgan or poser is the extreme they tend to take. Either supper ebil and powerful or supper good and white light and love. Many seemingly having no depth to their practices and beliefs. Cherry picking just the toppings and fruity part of the meal.

I personally believe it's the growing opinion within the pagan fold of anyone and everyone can be anything they want without question that is undermining things. The you must accept and support any and all perspectives that creates the safe haven for the poser and playgan to move in. Its why I think so many still consider pagansim as a whole to simply be the result of rebellious teens and malcontents within society and not a valid religious / spiritual pathway. In some ways the modern pagan practitioner is ludicrous in their willingness to accept / condone things in the name of a supposed spiritual / religious freedom that paints them as fools. Then turns around and screams about so called rights and abuses such as racism, bigotry, sexism, etc that negatively affect / effect them and society and paints an equally corrupted picture of them.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I pose. Therefore, I am.

Sorry! Couldn't help myself :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Silliness aside, like the poster above me, I feel its no worry to me on the depth (or lack thereof!) of someone else's faith. Especially as it is, sometimes, a matter of subjective perspective.

When it does concern me is when the person in question is misinforming others on the guise of teaching, or any other instance where their insincerity could harm others.

Comment

I ran into a "Hippie" poser in the way back. I was hitching a ride on an on ramp,coming from a party in SF,to get back to my place. This guy was also hitching,and we talked. Turns out he had on a long hair wig,and explained he did it to get laid by "Hippie chicks". Being that at that time I was kinda a street freak,I found this very funny. The guy was an accountant by day, when he wasn't out playing at being "Hip".
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think it's a bit like how you can sometimes find people who are gay until they get out of high school or college. Maybe they are doing it to look cool, maybe they are experimenting, whatever. But like the gay thing, I wouldn't date someone who I didn't feel was genuine about there attraction to me, don't practice with someone you don't feel is genuine if doing so would hurt you.
                      I do see how it is a problem on the image of paganism though. Like all things that can be a phase, but don't have to be, there are people who will give it a bad name. I knew some Wiccans in high school. Not a single one still practices today.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        I ran into a "Hippie" poser in the way back. I was hitching a ride on an on ramp,coming from a party in SF,to get back to my place. This guy was also hitching,and we talked. Turns out he had on a long hair wig,and explained he did it to get laid by "Hippie chicks". Being that at that time I was kinda a street freak,I found this very funny. The guy was an accountant by day, when he wasn't out playing at being "Hip".
                        Nope, sorry this one was too awesome!
                        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'd like to iterate that my main concern with posers is not for them, but for the image and impact they can have on pagan reputations. Like wannabe teen satanists who have hurt animals to do rituals, idiots who threaten to hex somebody for some minor ass reason, and I don't really know any more off the top examples but you get the point. I get that people can learn from having phases, and I certainly don't have an inferiority complex.
                          White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                          sigpic
                          In Days of yore,
                          From Britain's shore
                          Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                          And planted firm Britannia's flag
                          On Canada's fair domain.
                          Here may it wave,
                          Our boast, our pride
                          And joined in love together,
                          The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            I love your humanity Thal.

But I'm a Satanist. It totally behooves me to point a finger and snicker my ass off.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'd like to iterate that my main concern with posers is not for them, but for the image and impact they can have on pagan reputations. Like wannabe teen satanists who have hurt animals to do rituals, idiots who threaten to hex somebody for some minor ass reason, and I don't really know any more off the top examples but you get the point. I get that people can learn from having phases, and I certainly don't have an inferiority complex.
                              I'm glad you qualified this, Doc, 'cos I didn't post this morning as I was planning a long thing about how we were all newbies once....

But in light if the above... I think you can generally tell a poser by their lack of depth and understanding of what they are doing. Newbies in phases are something completely different, I think. A true poser is someone who has no real intention of gainjng depth and understanding, and just wants to be cool and edgy. Grand claims and boasting are a good indicator too.

You can't have a proper discussion with a poser... you end up with either conflicting statements and backpedalling, or them ignoring your points or changing the subject, or them getting snarky and resorting to personal attacks.

Damage to the reputation of the community... I think I've just accepted that's going to happen. Plus people who judge entire communities based on a handful of posers... or people who judge me based on the reputation of a community... aren't really worth my time anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X