This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When is somebody a poser?

Hello I am new. I know what "posers" are. Yo diggity, yo diggity, you are down with the hommies. (vanity play)

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
      Damage to the reputation of the community... I think I've just accepted that's going to happen. Plus people who judge entire communities based on a handful of posers... or people who judge me based on the reputation of a community... aren't really worth my time anyway.
      This x 100

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
      I'd like to iterate that my main concern with posers is not for them, but for the image and impact they can have on pagan reputations.
      Pagans as a rule believe in enough things that mainstream religious folks thing are out there that a handful of posers aren't a real threat to our image and impact on our reputation...and that's before we talk about the folks that are extreme even in our own little communities.

I think that honestly well-meaning and sincere people with seriously wacky ideas do far more damage than the handful of poseurs out there. Which is why I don't assume someone is a poseur. A poseur is someone that takes on an affectation to relay a certain image and claim belonging to something that they are in actuality insincere about. Is someone is actually posing, then I think they have some very real issues with their own self-worth that aren't helped by the ridicule and distain of others.

It has been my experience that people that are being accused of being a poseur in the Pagan community are generally not posing. They are either a) newbies, b) unsure and going through a phase, c) sincere but self-deluded*, or d) sincere but unintentionally ignorant (which is different than being willfully ignorant)*.

Like wannabe teen satanists who have hurt animals to do rituals, idiots who threaten to hex somebody for some minor ass reason, and I don't really know any more off the top examples but you get the point.
      I've never met someone that I would consider a poser. I've met horrible examples of Pagans, but no posers. And, just to give some context to that statement, I've been Pagan (and publically Pagan) for over two decades--in high school and college, in the military, as a Wiccan (yes, I was once an initiated Wiccan in a coven...many years ago), at festivals, etc...I know more than my fair share of Pagans IRL and online. I've met people that were called posers...but usually, they fall into the category of the above, or someone that has issues that they think can be solved by being part of something they don't know if they believe in or not.

Its very simple. As a simple personality trait, some people are more serious than others, some people are more devout than others, some people are more active than others, some people are more vocal than others....and none of what you see is necessairly an accurate portrayal of their sincere faith in whatever it is they have a sincere faith in. The person that does the most damage is the person that points fingers to ridicule someone that does something differently for not being "Pagan enough" or a "real Pagan". Because that person makes everyone else feel defensive and hold on their ideas even more tightly. And that person brings attention to the person in a way that garners negative attention.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I am one of those walking cliches (a Goth Pagan in cahoots with Haides), but I'm serious about my beliefs. I use Goth to describe myself in the same manner I describe myself as a Pagan. I don't like the assumption that I'm wearing it on my ego, when I'm wearing it to my core. It's part of who I am, not part of who I want people to think I am. So please, no further dissing the subcultures.

As for phasers, it happens. You try something out and realize it isn't for you. Everyone does it with something at least once in their life. Phasers are acceptable. As for my other thoughts, they've pretty much been explained already in a far better way than I could explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
          I'd like to iterate that my main concern with posers is not for them, but for the image and impact they can have on pagan reputations. Like wannabe teen satanists who have hurt animals to do rituals, idiots who threaten to hex somebody for some minor ass reason, and I don't really know any more off the top examples but you get the point. I get that people can learn from having phases, and I certainly don't have an inferiority complex.
          I don't think there is any way to stop posers from giving ANY group a bad image. The only way to combat it is to push the correct image. Educate people on what it actually is so when they see someone doing it wrong or being a bad poser, they will know that those people do not speak for the whole community.

Comment

I am one of those walking cliches (a Goth Pagan in cahoots with Haides), but I'm serious about my beliefs. I use Goth to describe myself in the same manner I describe myself as a Pagan. I don't like the assumption that I'm wearing it on my ego, when I'm wearing it to my core. It's part of who I am, not part of who I want people to think I am. So please, no further dissing the subcultures.
            I am also Goth and I do sometimes feel that other Pagans look at me as though I am going through a phase, and being Pagan is simply me trying to bolster my "Goth image". I find it extremely irksome and judgmental, but I have learnt to just wave it off now.
            sigpic

Comment

I am the herpa derps and read things in the wrong context.

But, Jera... pretty much. Being taken less seriously because you're a Goth pagan is the pits.

Comment

Originally posted by Neomeniae View Post
                I am the herpa derps and read things in the wrong context.

But, Jera... pretty much. Being taken less seriously because you're a Goth pagan is the pits.
                I don't think it's just Goths though. Go to many public rituals, ceremonies, etc and you run into the your not dressed properly to be a witch or such. SO you get a lot of poser who make it look more like a ren fair than anything else. Then your a poser if you don't have the flowing robes, weighty trash about your neck and all or the appropriate colored wand and such.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  I don't think it's just Goths though. Go to many public rituals, ceremonies, etc and you run into the your not dressed properly to be a witch or such. SO you get a lot of poser who make it look more like a ren fair than anything else. Then your a poser if you don't have the flowing robes, weighty trash about your neck and all or the appropriate colored wand and such.

yes, yes, yes!

Ha ha is "poser" in the eye of the beholder?

Many great posts in this thread.

I feel like I've met more wannabees than posers. Some of the wannabees found a place in a pagan religion, some kept moving on to find what they were looking for.

I'd say the posers I met were basically one's without depth, they liked, well...to POSE! lol. Wear the cool clothes, used the hip language, sound super esoterical just to get a rise out of other people, but when you talk to them it's clear they don't know what they're talking about. I've had a few people outright say they were just dressing the part, for all kinds of reasons...to hang with friends, to look cool, because it was fun, to piss off their family, or even because they admire what they believe paganism is, so they imitate it. You know, as a sort of flattery.

OH, and to get laid.

Comment

Originally posted by Threshold View Post
                    yes, yes, yes!

Ha ha is "poser" in the eye of the beholder?

Many great posts in this thread.

I feel like I've met more wannabees than posers. Some of the wannabees found a place in a pagan religion, some kept moving on to find what they were looking for.
                    I met a few in high school that were either posing as Satanists or Wicca Pagans and I felt they didn’t come off as genuine. Then again they were just teens barely at the age 15 so I assume they were doing it to be edgy and cool as well as to piss their parents off who probably were Christian. At best that’s what some do in the end as they get older and go to another religion or back to the one they were raised on.

I'd say the posers I met were basically one's without depth, they liked, well...to POSE! lol. Wear the cool clothes, used the hip language, sound super esoterical just to get a rise out of other people, but when you talk to them it's clear they don't know what they're talking about. I've had a few people outright say they were just dressing the part, for all kinds of reasons...to hang with friends, to look cool, because it was fun, to piss off their family, or even because they admire what they believe paganism is, so they imitate it. You know, as a sort of flattery.
                    Even though I was not a Pagan in high school, I still dressed Goth while being a Catholic so yeah at time I was doing it to be cool :no:. So yeah I was trying to look the part just so I can show people I was “hardcore”.

OH, and to get laid.
                    I actually snicker at this one and most girls I came across where Goth guys checked them out just rolled their eyes or laughed at them when they walked away.

Comment

Originally posted by Neomeniae View Post
                      I have not experienced this but now wonder if I would go through similar things when I meet people into witchcraft and paganism in real life. I listen to a lot of music that can portray witchcraft as over the top and satanic.
                      I do not really care about posers. I try not to judge others since I have gone through phases as well. They may have good intentions just mislead. In the end the true will stay around and those into it for coolness will eventually get bored.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        I don't think it matters. I think that whatever someone's motivation is for claming to be part of a particular religion is isn't any of my business, nor is judgement of them something that I have a right to. I think that for every so-called poseur out there, there are several people with inferiority complexes pointing fingers. I am not an arbiter on authenticity. Sure, sometimes Pagansim is a phase. So what? Does it pick my pocket or break my leg? Who am I to say that they didn't learn something from the experience?
                        Yes, this ^

I used to get annoyed when 'poseurs' would spread misinformation about Paganism or various other alternative religions. I made it my mission to correct and educate everyone. But now... I just can't be bothered.
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by satanic witch View Post
                          This is something I have experienced I've been called a poser due to my own religion which is mix of satanism and Wicca . I believe the idea of someone posing to be pagan is rediculous that being said someone might go through a phase were paganism is good idea or do it because they think it makes them look edgy and cool
                          i think satanism and wicca are both part of Paganism.. so i dont think it is right to call you a poser

Comment

I agree with what they said about people trying to look cool or whatever. But i feel just let them pose if thats what they wanna do they might start off just acting like its something they like to fit in but they might actually get drawn in or maybe its the gods calling them and they could still be in denial.

Comment

Originally posted by Havicbliss View Post
                              I agree with what they said about people trying to look cool or whatever. But i feel just let them pose if thats what they wanna do they might start off just acting like its something they like to fit in but they might actually get drawn in or maybe its the gods calling them and they could still be in denial.
                              It's more like they wan't to believe the gods are calling, they aren't but they are in denial.
                              White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                              sigpic
                              In Days of yore,
                              From Britain's shore
                              Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                              And planted firm Britannia's flag
                              On Canada's fair domain.
                              Here may it wave,
                              Our boast, our pride
                              And joined in love together,
                              The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                              The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I've been Pagan since high school. I probably wouldn't have used the term Pagan and I wasn't Goth, but I was definitely searching for a spiritual path back then.

One of the great things about Paganism is: I'm figuring it out as I go is an acceptable answer.

Though I have been told I can't be Pagan because I'm too down to earth. An earth based religion? Down to earth?! That's not acceptable! XD

Comment

Working...
                                X