This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herons everywhere all the time!

I'm in central Ohio and I've been seeing herons flying (grey I believe) damn near every time I leave my house. Its like my eyes just know where to look. Is it a particularly active time for herons? Are they the type of bird usually on the move? I'm really starting to think perhaps its a sign. I've never seen so many herons in such a short period of time before.
    I've familiarized myself with some of their (extensive) symbolism, but I'm having trouble finding if they are representative of any particular deities.

Re: Herons everywhere all the time!

Grey herons are specific to parts of Europe, Asia and Africa. What you are seeing might be a great blue heron or a little blue heron, though most likely you are seeing great blues. All herons are migratory to varying extents, and are all generally mobile birds. If memory serves, Ohio great blue heron migratory patterns are highly variable. There is a pretty large heronry in Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Telekinetic Bears View Post
      I'm in central Ohio and I've been seeing herons flying (grey I believe) damn near every time I leave my house. Its like my eyes just know where to look. Is it a particularly active time for herons? Are they the type of bird usually on the move? I'm really starting to think perhaps its a sign. I've never seen so many herons in such a short period of time before.
      I've familiarized myself with some of their (extensive) symbolism, but I'm having trouble finding if they are representative of any particular deities.
      I know very little about American birds, but when talking about birds as possible signs the very first thing you should do is check migratory patterns. Then check local weather patterns and cross check them against known behaviour of the species. Repeated sightings of birds that are endemic or that migrate through an area are generally not indicative of anything interesting... just birds doing their thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        I know very little about American birds, but when talking about birds as possible signs the very first thing you should do is check migratory patterns. Then check local weather patterns and cross check them against known behaviour of the species. Repeated sightings of birds that are endemic or that migrate through an area are generally not indicative of anything interesting... just birds doing their thing.
        Heron is one of my guides so I pay close attention when I see them. That said I agree 100 percent with Rae'ya. 99 times out of a 100 Heron is just Heron and being a bird. It's that 100th time when its all out of the norms that it might be seen as a messenger or teacher. Yet it is the fact it is so far out of the norm that makes you notice and pay closer attention to it in my opinion.

To give an example I see Heron on a regular basis yet one day I passed them with Heron, Egret, Heron, Egret, Heron and Egret. The Heron's where all looking in the opposite direction to the Egret's. Everything about the Heron's actions were not wrong but they were not right either and it made you take notice of where they were, how they were standing and even the movement of their heads.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

when talking about birds as possible signs the very first thing you should do is check migratory patterns. Repeated sightings of birds that are endemic or that migrate through an area are generally not indicative of anything interesting... just birds doing their thing.
          Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post
          Grey herons are specific to parts of Europe, Asia and Africa. What you are seeing might be a great blue heron or a little blue heron, though most likely you are seeing great blues. All herons are migratory to varying extents, and are all generally mobile birds. If memory serves, Ohio great blue heron migratory patterns are highly variable. There is a pretty large heronry in Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
          aahhh I always get Great blues and greys confused. Thanks for clearing that up

Apparently my area is a 'year round' spot for herons. What got me was that in my years here I've never seen so many. Generally I've never seen so many in my life. Perhaps Ohio is just the hip place to fly across this season, though, lol.

I suppose I'll just admire them as birds for now. If they are indeed a sign I'm supposed to be getting, I hope whoever is sending them clarifies.

Comment

I know very little about American birds, but when talking about birds as possible signs the very first thing you should do is check migratory patterns. Then check local weather patterns and cross check them against known behaviour of the species.
            Its not unusual to see them in most of the US, particuarly at this time of year....they are an incredibly common species (if its a Great Blue). They are a known permanent resident across most of the USsource)
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              "Great Blue Herons have specialized feathers on their chest that continually grow and fray. The herons comb this “powder down” with a fringed claw on their middle toes, using the down like a washcloth to remove fish slime and other oils from their feathers as they preen. Applying the powder to their underparts protects their feathers against the slime and oils of swamps." (source)
              Nifty I always thought they were really lovely. Their necks remind me of crazy straws, lol.

Comment

I've been having similar experience with road runners lately. So I've looked up their role as spirit animals etc.

Gives me some worthwhile things to contemplate.

Interestingly my sister, in the Chicago area told me this week about seeing herons everywhere she goes as well! She feels blessed.

Comment

Working...
                X