This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supreme court rules in favor of Hobby Lobby

Employers with religious objections CAN refuse to pay for contraception on Obamacare after Supreme Court ruling in favor of Christian craft shop Hobby Lobby
    Christian craft store Hobby Lobby sued the government over Obamacare's contraception mandate
    Today the Supreme Court ruled that Hobby Lobby and other 'closely held' businesses could apply for exemption from the mandate based on their religious beliefs
    Republicans are celebrating the decision as a victory for religious liberty, and Democrats are slamming it as a setback for women's health
    Mcsauce
    On one hand, I think a woman can make her own choice and go get free or low cost contraception on her own dime or time. On the other hand, why is this one healthcare option being removed from only the female gender? It's not a business' right to pass judgement on an employee. Or is it?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Supreme Court ruling...

Decline of humanity for sure...

...the "Hobby Lobby" ruling.

Need I say more?

What next? Official recognition by the Supremes of the ISIL Caliphate?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Re: Supreme Court ruling...

Wait. I just started a thread in news...can we merge?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Re: Supreme Court ruling...

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        Wait. I just started a thread in news...can we merge?
        Yes - anything that sucks this bad should have one place people can go to find out about it.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Re: Supreme court rules in favor of Hobby Lobby

I'm gonna make the same point that I did with Dad when the judgement was announced this morning.

If a business can refuse to pay insurance covering things they have religious disagreements with then what happens when Jehovah's Witnesses start refusing any plan that covers a blood transfusion?
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

So, not a dime to Hobby Lobby, ever, ever again.

Comment

It's because corporations are "people," which (according to the Supreme Court) gives them "freedom of religion," and religions tend not to discriminate against straight men.

Although they do discriminate against gay people, people of other religions, atheists, and so on, which is apparently now legal for corporations as well.

I'm a bit miffed...

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
                So, not a dime to Hobby Lobby, ever, ever again.
                Let us not forget the Mardel's chain of stores, which is owned by Hobby Lobby. Not a dime.
                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
                Clan of my Clan
                Kin of my Kin
                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Never shopping there again.

Also, this is going to open a whole floodgate of lawsuits for religious exemptions...
                  hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    It's because corporations are "people," which (according to the Supreme Court) gives them "freedom of religion," and religions tend not to discriminate against straight men.
                    Wait, if corps are people... Then shouldn't mergers only be legal in less than half the states? I mean all corporations are the same sex right?
                    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                      Let us not forget the Mardel's chain of stores, which is owned by Hobby Lobby. Not a dime.
                      Right you are.

Life's already tough. There's no sense enabling people who deliberately make it tougher.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                      Wait, if corps are people... Then shouldn't mergers only be legal in less than half the states? I mean all corporations are the same sex right?
                      If corporations are people, why can't they be drafted?

Comment

I honestly haven't paid much attention to the debate one way or another - it just doesn't apply to me or anyone close to me.

Are vasectomy's that aren't medically necessary usually covered? How about condoms? I'm not sure if this is necessarily an "attack on women" any more so than it is a corporation run by a religious (or wanting to be identified as religious) group of idiots. That being said, employees will have the right to not work there, and patrons will have the right to not shop there. Beyond that I can't see this as anything other than "just as corrupt as everything else that involves Government, politics, and business". Not really "news".

In a perfect world everyone would get the same benefits and rights. But within that sentence are some inherently flawed assumptions.

- - - Updated - - -

What there needs to be is a public registry of corporations that have filed for exemption - that would make it easier for me, a US Citizen, to decide where I spend the money that I have worked to earn.

Of course, since half of that belongs to the US Government, they have equal say in how I spend the rest of it. Or something. I'm not quite sure how that works, but that seems to be the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
                          I honestly haven't paid much attention to the debate one way or another - it just doesn't apply to me or anyone close to me.

Are vasectomy's that aren't medically necessary usually covered? How about condoms? I'm not sure if this is necessarily an "attack on women" any more so than it is a corporation run by a religious (or wanting to be identified as religious) group of idiots. That being said, employees will have the right to not work there, and patrons will have the right to not shop there. Beyond that I can't see this as anything other than "just as corrupt as everything else that involves Government, politics, and business". Not really "news".

In a perfect world everyone would get the same benefits and rights. But within that sentence are some inherently flawed assumptions.
                          Well, then, should we all just sit back and allow this to go unanswered?

And it is obvious that you haven't been following this.

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
                            If corporations are people...
                            This is why you don't want to grant personhood to corporations - you're no longer allowed to kill them when they look like they might ruin somebody's life.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              This is why you don't want to grant personhood to corporations - you're no longer allowed to kill them when they look like they might ruin somebody's life.
                              I don't want them to be persons on principle. Humans are persons. You might even stretch that to certain animals. Legal fictions are not people. The very idea is offensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X