This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmares

How do you avoid them? Is there a way to control them, get out of them when you want?

I am starting having too much of them lately.... And they are really exhausting.... ><
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Nightmares

First - avoid alcohol & fatty foods for several hours before bedtime. Get moderate exercise daily (brisk walk, short jog, bit o' yoga, something like that).

Second - bad dreams are almost always related to something in your life, and generally something that happened or came to a head or came up again or you were concerned about in the last 72 hours. You'll need to figure out what it was and deal with it in some way.

There are techniques for confronting scary things in your dreams while you are dreaming, but they all (of necessity) require some degree of lucid dreaming. A more time effective approach is to engage in a dialogue with a dream monster (or whatever) while you are awake. Here's one version of the technique:

1. If you are a good typist, you can do this sitting at a computer on a word processing program (I'm a good typist, so this has always been the easiest for me). Or, use old fashioned pen/pencil and paper. You can also do this purely verbally, or even mentally, but when you begin it often works better when writing (get the idea from these instructions, then experiment to find out what works best for you).

2. Enter a meditative state - calm, deep breathing, quite mind - doesn't have to be anything formal, although if you are a meditator already, it can be. You DO want to cultivate a particular "feeling" - one of disinterested expectation where you feel open to something happening, but you don't care what, or even if it does/does not happen.

3. When you are in the right state, write/type/speak (even when I type, I, personally, also find it most effective to speak it) a question directed to the dream boogie. A good question is "what are you?" or "why are you hear?" Wait patiently for a response - you may hear it (either aloud, or mentally), or type/write it. Don't force an answer - you'll know the difference between a forced answer and a "true" answer - trust me on this If no answer comes, go back to cultivating that particular mental state, and try again in a few minutes.

4. Continue from there as if you were having a "real" discussion.

This may seem complicated, but it is easier to do than it is to describe. Most people who try this find it works pretty quickly, but some people need a few times before it shows results.

Best of luck!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've actually been working on controlling my nightmares lately. I've been having some horrific ones, or had been anyway. I've gotten a good hold on them recently, with the aid of two deities (one that deals with combating fears and the other with dreams). First, I had to face the nightmare afterwards and figure out the message behind them. What was my subconscious showing me? Obviously fears, but there were messages, too. Even after I realized the message, some of my nightmares went away, but others cropped up with the same message over and over; there was nothing I could change in my real life, so the dreams were just reoccuring.

I began to explore Lucid Dreaming again. Figuring out that you're dreaming and gaining control over it. I don't know that it's easy to do, but it's always been easy for me. Now the How-To, I can't answer, only give my experience. I'm able to stop and realize that what's going on doesn't make sense and that it's not real. Then take control from there. Normally, in dream, if I'm fighting zombies or something, I withdraw a sword from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim called "Dawnbreaker". Normally when I see this object pop up in a dream, I know it's just a dream. It gives me confidence and power over the horrifying things I'm seeing.

You can also sleep with a satchel of stones or herbs, or a protective amulet to try and keep them at bay, much like a Dream Catcher, which you can craft or empower yourself. Or you can train yourself that when you see this object in a dream, it's just a dream. It's not easy, depending on the nightmare's hold, but it is possible, just takes practice. The mind is a powerful creature, it can totally mindf**k you, or just the opposite. You can also ask Deities and/or Spirits to help you, too.

I've never tried meditating to face a nightmare; the more methods to try, the better!

Comment

Thank you both for your answers. They are both really helpful. The problem is that it's nothing constant, I can't be ready in advance for it.
        But having amulets nearby can appear very useful. Since it's actually a dream in my own dimension, I can have opportunity to control it. I just need to understand it's my own reality.

Herbs are also very helpful at this point. Can you please mention some?
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Here are a few stones: Amber (strengthens personal power); Citrine, Moonstone, Celestite, Chrysoprase, Sodalite, Quartz (Amethyst, Smokey, and Rose) are all anti-nightmare, too. " If they are related to depression or PTSD then rhodochrosite used with rose quartz and moonstone or amethyst works very well", from a friend. Another friend suggested Peacock Ore, not sure what that is.

Herb/oil wise, so far I have Rose and Lilac to bring pleasant dreams, Lavender (common for combating nightmares; promotes peaceful sleep), Chamomile (peaceful sleep), Anise (anti-nightmare), Mullein (protection), Black Mustard Seeds (protection), Catnip flowers/seeds, Valerian, Jasmine, Passionflower, mint, Witch hazel.

You could look into making a dream pillow specifically for nightmares, too. They're fairly easy to make.

You're probably aware of this, but watch for any allergies you may have. If you're unsure about an herb or oil, research it (aside from the health risk, there are herbs that can make your nightmares worse). Don't ingest any herb or oil you don't know about.

(it's awesome being friends with other Witches; just a wealth of knowledge and advice!)

Comment

Originally posted by DyslexicPagan View Post
            Here are a few stones: Amber (strengthens personal power); Citrine, Moonstone, Celestite, Chrysoprase, Sodalite, Quartz (Amethyst, Smokey, and Rose) are all anti-nightmare, too. " If they are related to depression or PTSD then rhodochrosite used with rose quartz and moonstone or amethyst works very well", from a friend. Another friend suggested Peacock Ore, not sure what that is.

Herb/oil wise, so far I have Rose and Lilac to bring pleasant dreams, Lavender (common for combating nightmares; promotes peaceful sleep), Chamomile (peaceful sleep), Anise (anti-nightmare), Mullein (protection), Black Mustard Seeds (protection), Catnip flowers/seeds, Valerian, Jasmine, Passionflower, mint, Witch hazel.

You could look into making a dream pillow specifically for nightmares, too. They're fairly easy to make.

You're probably aware of this, but watch for any allergies you may have. If you're unsure about an herb or oil, research it (aside from the health risk, there are herbs that can make your nightmares worse). Don't ingest any herb or oil you don't know about.

(it's awesome being friends with other Witches; just a wealth of knowledge and advice!)
            Can I just add to this... with crystals you can grid them around your bed, placing one cleansed/charged crystal at each leg of the bed, which may be a little safer than having them in your bed with you, but it also acts as like a "forcefield" of energy, so you don't have to have any crystal or pouch on your person or under your pillow when you sleep

I'm sure herbs and oils can be placed in the same positions as the crystals as well, it may just take some trial and error to see what works

Hope this helps
            "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
            - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Thanks very much for your awesome ideas! I am really grateful.

Comment

writing down my nightmares helped me. I may be a bit odd person, because i found some funny aspects some of my worst nightmares, when i read about them later on. I also have managed to control my dreams couple of times, but dream has turned very boring after controlling it, or i have woken up.
                Pray the Gods - Fine - But keep rowing to shore.

Comment

I've been researching tons of herbs lately so I'm happy you asked. Thyme, Lavender, Lilac, and Anise are all good for an anti nightmare sachet. I would try Corbin's things first though, they seem really good.
                  Circe

Comment

Cool! Thanks very much, I'll look into it!

Comment

I pretty much have them maybe every other night. Or nightly if I don't take precautions. Precautions being sleeping pills. But I often wake up panting for breath and my heart racing. I have a lot of trauma. Meh. Spicy foods for sure kick it up
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I would DEFINITELY meditate before sleep. Either in the lotus position or lying down, whatever is most comfortable for you. Do you have any meditative strategies now? Also, I would check this site out as well http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/ or this http://www.mydreamvisions.com/dreamd...ary/analyzer/# They're great for figuring out what your dreams mean exactly, and in my opinion, if you know what they mean, you can understand WHY they are happening. Hope I've helped.

Comment

I try not to eat much before going to sleep, and not to eat heavy foods like meat of some sort. A 0.75 liter tea cup with Majoran really helps me.
                          I had a nightmare this night, where in the beginning I was throwing bowling balls in the crow neb of tarantulas (there were tarantulas with a crow neb instead of an ordinary mouth in a box, and they were jumping up and down trying to catch me).
                          Then I arrived a small wooden house and celebrated my 18th B-day with my family (I became 18 in the nightmare). There was a war going on. So we didn't celebrate very much.

- - - Updated - - -

LeviImmortal, thanks very much for your sites. In the first one, I have found this:
                          Tarantula
                          To see a tarantula in your dream represents your dark and sinister side. A tarantula is also symbolic of a woman figure in your life.
                          And this:
                          To dream of a war signifies disorder and chaos in your waking life You are experiencing some internal conflict or emotional struggle which is tearing you up inside. Alternatively, the dream indicates that you are either being overly aggressive or that you are not being assertive enough. Perhaps you need to be prepared to put up a fight in some area of your life. On a more direct level, the dream may be reflection of current wars around the world and your personal feelings about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X