This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poking Sleeping Monsters With Sharp Sticks

bmahersciwriter (2955569) writes In one of the biggest-ever seismology deployments at an active volcano, researchers are peppering Mount St Helens in Washington state with equipment to study the intricate system of chambers and pipes that fed the most devastating eruption in U.S. history. This month...

Re: Poking Sleeping Monsters With Sharp Sticks

I'll confess to being far more fascinated with the actual source article than the slashdot blurb. I do not have an opinion yet as I wish to mull it over. However, I will say that earthquakes of 2 and below happen hella far more than anyone knows. Like, all the time. Everyday. In one day alone (today) the USGS recorded 366 earthquakes across the world of all magnitudes, and 41 of those were 2.5 and above.

The earth beneath us is constantly shifting. Constantly. Now, I am not saying that gives license to just blithely add more 'quakes to the equation. But I am saying is one should probably look at their work in perspective.

Comment

Re: Poking Sleeping Monsters With Sharp Sticks

Oh absolutely a 2.0 isn't anything to worry about. ABOVE ground. There is *some* earthquake activity in the area (I'm a nerd...I actually watch it pretty closely), but not anywhere near this scale. My concern is that on explosion #5 a chamber is going to collapse (or equivalent) which is pretty much what happened with the initial eruption.

Well, I'm also concerned because I live about an hour away.

But mostly the first thing

Comment

Working...
      X