Ways of meditation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways of meditation?

We have a special section for meditation? Yay!!! Though, I am really not sure about the title of the thread to be honest.

Everyone feels a need to relax and meditate sometimes. Of course it's different for everyone. There is a different way for every individual to meditate and relax.

My way of meditating/relaxing (basically it's a bit combined for me), is listening to calming sounds and concentrating on them for some time, while being alone in one position whether it's sitting or lying on my back.
    Until now I was using the www.calm.com site that Juni posted somewhere a long ago. Plus, I've downloaded some applications to my laptop that help me with meditation. It works as an application with Windows 8 and 8.1 OS. But such things can be found in the internet as well:
    • Waterfall sounds (this is the one I use the most)
    • Ocean waves
    • Relaxing rain
    • Forest meditation

Depending on my mood I choose one of the listed above.

So what about you? How do you meditate? What is your method​?

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.
    If the mods/admins have thought about a better title for the thread - please change it and let me know.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Ways of meditation?

I generally do a breathing technique in a quiet place and considering my schedule and exhaustion it's usually bedtime and I put myself to sleep. Deep breath in through the nose, out through the mouth and visualizing releasing all the negative energy and breathing in the positive. Sometimes, I breathe to a count, usually seven (I picked it up from a book when I was.. 12?) When I do that it's breath in (7) hold (7) out (7) hold (7) repeat.

I like the idea of the meditations where you're listening to a story basically and visualizing your in it, but I haven't found one in a long time that I like and I can't find the ones I used in high school so... ah well.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

When I first began meditating I began with silent meditation. It's actually incredible how mystical of an experience you can have when it's just you and absolute silence. It can be a challenge for some, but when you get it down you'll feel like a little Buddha. You can start out meditating outside on a calm morning or evening when all you can hear are Earthly sounds. But if you want to meditate simply for relaxation purposes, I like a lot of the guided meditation videos on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1xwtA6C2DQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhtFG9VRtP0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Su2X7PgQuo The first and last are guided, the second is just incredibly relaxing. You can turn these into MP3 files to put on iPods, phones etc. Just go to Google and put in YouTube to MP3.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
        I generally do a breathing technique in a quiet place and considering my schedule and exhaustion it's usually bedtime and I put myself to sleep. Deep breath in through the nose, out through the mouth and visualizing releasing all the negative energy and breathing in the positive. Sometimes, I breathe to a count, usually seven (I picked it up from a book when I was.. 12?) When I do that it's breath in (7) hold (7) out (7) hold (7) repeat.

I like the idea of the meditations where you're listening to a story basically and visualizing your in it, but I haven't found one in a long time that I like and I can't find the ones I used in high school so... ah well.
        It's a great method. Also, try imagining yourself in a specific place - forest, seaside and enjoying the sounds of that place. Works greatly.

Originally posted by LeviImmortal View Post
        When I first began meditating I began with silent meditation. It's actually incredible how mystical of an experience you can have when it's just you and absolute silence. It can be a challenge for some, but when you get it down you'll feel like a little Buddha. You can start out meditating outside on a calm morning or evening when all you can hear are Earthly sounds. But if you want to meditate simply for relaxation purposes, I like a lot of the guided meditation videos on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1xwtA6C2DQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhtFG9VRtP0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Su2X7PgQuo The first and last are guided, the second is just incredibly relaxing. You can turn these into MP3 files to put on iPods, phones etc. Just go to Google and put in YouTube to MP3.
        It's hard for me sometimes to just be in a totally silent place in one position, but sometimes I just like to lie with with my back on my bed and enjoy the atmosphere. Especially when I am alone.
        The links are awesome! Thank you for sharing them! There is another thing I found a couple of months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_klKJzo4LTY
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
          It's hard for me sometimes to just be in a totally silent place in one position, but sometimes I just like to lie with with my back on my bed and enjoy the atmosphere. Especially when I am alone.
          The links are awesome! Thank you for sharing them! There is another thing I found a couple of months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_klKJzo4LTY

Yeah, silent meditation is NOT for everyone. Lol. And you're welcome! There are MANY other techniques, but I think the simplest ones are most effective.

Comment

Originally posted by LeviImmortal View Post
            When I first began meditating I began with silent meditation. It's actually incredible how mystical of an experience you can have when it's just you and absolute silence. It can be a challenge for some, but when you get it down you'll feel like a little Buddha.
            I like meditating in silence as well. Most of the times I light a candle. It always works a little hypnotic when I stare into the flame. And then I just imagine that the flame is burning all my thoughts. I sometimes have trouble sleeping, because of several thoughts that just won't go away, so this technique works good for me.

I also have a few cd's with pagan/celtic music. That's where I let the music guide my thoughts and sometimes I can have complete visions or my deities show themselves.

Comment

I am really terrible at the whole 'clear your mind' style meditations (as most of us are, if we get right down to it). It takes me weeks of daily practice to get to the point of being able to clear my mind properly, and then I just don't really get much spiritual benefit out of it, so I stopped bothering to do it a really long time ago.

Nowdays my meditations are about relaxation, checking my ground, centering, reinforcing my shields, and reinforcing my relationships with guides and allies. So in a sense I actually don't 'meditate' much anymore... but I do a lot of Innerworlds work. I rarely have any external stimuli as a part of this... I just close my eyes, do a bit of basic breathe work and enter my Innerworlds landscape. From there it depends on my purpose as to how much further I go.

Even when I was doing some classic meditation, I never used sound or candles etc. I find visuals distracting so candle meditations rarely work for me unless I'm in the bathtub. I'm also not an aural person, pretty much at all... so music doesn't really do much for me in terms of altering consciousness for meditative purposes (though repetitive rhythm helps induce trance for me) and I don't need it to drown out other noises. I do find physical position affects the quality of the meditation though. I tend to fall asleep if I lay down (which is fine for relaxation meditations prior to sleep), and I find pins and needles in my legs incredibly distracting. So I sit on a pillow with my legs bent but not crossed. I read a book many years ago called 'The Posture of Mediation' and found the information incredibly helpful. I sit on a pillow of a certain height to tilt my pelvis forward, which aids in the alignment of the spine and makes it easier to sit upright without having to strain. Just that simple little addition makes a big difference for me.

Comment

My typical meditation is usually challenging myself to sit completely still for as long as possible. I'm up to 5 minutes now~

Comment

I find it really difficult to meditate now with a baby to take care of. It's probably something I should make a priority for the sake of mental health! Right now, my meditation is very short and sweet, right before I go to bed. It's just a simple act of being open to the presence of God and letting that presence fill me up before I go to sleep. One day last week, I had a friend taking care of my baby while I slept for the afternoon and could revisit a guided meditation. It is supposed to lead you into an astral projection, but I just enjoy it at face value. I fell asleep long before I could 'become the lake' though!

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                    I find it really difficult to meditate now with a baby to take care of. It's probably something I should make a priority for the sake of mental health! Right now, my meditation is very short and sweet, right before I go to bed. It's just a simple act of being open to the presence of God and letting that presence fill me up before I go to sleep. One day last week, I had a friend taking care of my baby while I slept for the afternoon and could revisit a guided meditation. It is supposed to lead you into an astral projection, but I just enjoy it at face value. I fell asleep long before I could 'become the lake' though!
                    Very nice! Thanks for sharing, Azvanna! I am not a person of astral projection, but it's a very good thing for meditation. Astral projection creeps me out a bit, because I am afraid of not being able to come back.

To be honest, it's a bit hard to get a fully quiet atmosphere here. I can get it only during afternoon, when nobody but me and my sister are home (I keep an eye on her). And usually, from 2 pm until 4+ pm she is asleep. I really prefer to move this atmosphere to later hours, but I can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                      So in a sense I actually don't 'meditate' much anymore... but I do a lot of Innerworlds work. I rarely have any external stimuli as a part of this... I just close my eyes, do a bit of basic breathe work and enter my Innerworlds landscape. From there it depends on my purpose as to how much further I go.
                      Sounds like an interesting way to meditate!

I tried Buddhist meditation for about five years (well, I have to confess it wasn't always a daily practice) but I tend to get dull och dreamy. I know the aim of Buddhist meditation isn't some fancy experiences but certainly it's not about looking at nowhere, dozing off.
                      I once had a nice hour long meditation (one of my longest, to be honest) and it was just boring for the most of the time but I had windows open and it started raining and it was sort of calming. But sitting for an hour to get a hint of calm? Perhaps not.

I still do basic breathing meditations sometimes. I guess I have tried almost everything else by now... But at this moment my practice and religion is evolving rapidly, why not the meditative part of it as well?
                      baah.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                        My way of meditating/relaxing (basically it's a bit combined for me), is listening to calming sounds and concentrating on them for some time, while being alone in one position whether it's sitting or lying on my back.
                        Until now I was using the www.calm.com site that Juni posted somewhere a long ago. Plus, I've downloaded some applications to my laptop that help me with meditation. It works as an application with Windows 8 and 8.1 OS. But such things can be found in the internet as well:
                        • Waterfall sounds (this is the one I use the most)
                        • Ocean waves
                        • Relaxing rain
                        • Forest meditation

Depending on my mood I choose one of the listed above.

So what about you? How do you meditate? What is your method​?
                        I like using nature sounds as well

Most nights, before going to sleep, I'll use a Dream Tones Night Light and Sound Machine that makes color changing stars on your ceiling and plays various nature sounds, though I only use the ocean one. I usually meditate to this until I fall asleep.

I also like doing the occasional YouTube guided meditation, or sometimes just silence is good too

Comment

Sounds like an interesting way to meditate!

I tried Buddhist meditation for about five years (well, I have to confess it wasn't always a daily practice) but I tend to get dull och dreamy. I know the aim of Buddhist meditation isn't some fancy experiences but certainly it's not about looking at nowhere, dozing off.
                          I once had a nice hour long meditation (one of my longest, to be honest) and it was just boring for the most of the time but I had windows open and it started raining and it was sort of calming. But sitting for an hour to get a hint of calm? Perhaps not.

I still do basic breathing meditations sometimes. I guess I have tried almost everything else by now... But at this moment my practice and religion is evolving rapidly, why not the meditative part of it as well?

Comment

Many of us talk about 'meditating'... but what do we actually mean? What are YOU actually doing while you 'meditate'? Relaxing? Introspecting? Thinking about your day? Objectively allowing your thoughts to flow past? Doing a guided visualisation? Doing a non-guided visualisation? Working on your energetic balance and hygiene? Worrying about how you haven't done the dishes yet? Planning the day trip you're doing tomorrow? Listening to some pretty music as you naturally fall asleep?

Is what you are personally doing actually enriching your practice, or are you just going through some motions that you assume you have to do because you read that pagans should meditate?

These are questions that I've asked myself over the years... and continue to ask myself, because my answers change sometimes. I'm interested to see other people's answers, if anyone's willing to delve into the why and not just the how.
                            At night, I'm usually getting myself into a meditative state so that I can talk with my personal Deities, or on more rare of occasions, sometimes I want to work on some aspect of myself, so I'll pretty much be repeating a positive phrase or affirmation to myself over and over, kind of trying to reprogram myself. And Sometimes I like doing the guided meditations on you tube or sometimes I'll go on my own little adventure. And sometimes I am just listening to the pretty sounds as I drift off to sleep

I've been doing some reading on chakras and energy work, so I'm planning to start trying to get more serious about these kinds of meditations, though I have dabbled a tiny bit in the past.

Is what you are personally doing actually enriching your practice, or are you just going through some motions that you assume you have to do because you read that pagans should meditate?
                            The reason why I first started meditating was definitely because I thought I was supposed too, but I think it has evolved to the point where it's actually enriching my practice now (fake it until you make it *grin*), but I think I sometimes do still fall into this trap; I'd just never had been able to articulate what was happening before reading this.
                            Last edited by SleepingCompass; 05 Jan 2015, 09:38. Reason: missed word

Comment

Many of us talk about 'meditating'... but what do we actually mean? What are YOU actually doing while you 'meditate'? Relaxing? Introspecting? Thinking about your day? Objectively allowing your thoughts to flow past? Doing a guided visualisation? Doing a non-guided visualisation? Working on your energetic balance and hygiene? Worrying about how you haven't done the dishes yet? Planning the day trip you're doing tomorrow? Listening to some pretty music as you naturally fall asleep?

<3

So, for me, what I do depends on why I'm doing it (but either way, if it didn't enrich my practice, I wouldn't do it anymore). Mindfulness meditations, IMO, is more of a maintenance sort of thing--sort of like going to the gym, rather than training for an event or competing. I don't do mindfulness meditation for any specific goal, other than keeping up the practice of awareness and connection from without, or checking in with the within. I'm not a big fan of the empty mind sort of meditation (mostly for the reasons you brought up). Guided meditation is more for inner energy work or balancing, only because I can do it faster than without (essential with minions running amok). Non-guided visualization is more for ritual workings that are meditative in nature (which is not all rituals). I also like chants (and sometimes I'll use a chant from youtube and "chant along") for some work.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X