Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good day, my intro is long and full of questions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good day, my intro is long and full of questions.

Hello, my name is Allie and I have been reading into Paganism for about 7 years now. I say reading because up until recently I had done no practicing whatsoever, and still haven't really.
    I am still figuring out my beliefs as I still do not have any "parent" dieties to work with.
    I am 22 years old, I grew up in a southern Baptist Christian church though I mentally/emotionally denounced that belief system when I was still young.

I feel very confused in this part of my journey. I feel like after 7 years I should know things, but I really don't feel like I do. I place a good chunk of my thought process and knowledge on science and I am trying to figure out how a lot of it all fits together with my belief in Paganism. I have never done a ritual myself, but I recently overcame my social anxiety to reach out to my local community of pagans.
    My first night meeting everyone (I should say anyone haha) we did a beautiful labyrinth activation/blessing ceremony and it was amazing. Other than this magical moment I've been attending their guided meditation classes.
    It has recently come up that my boyfriend and I will probably be moving to Portland soon and while I am super excited to go where I've always wanted to go I am also VERY nervous because I JUST reached out to my local community...
    Obviously this is not the only thing on my mind, but if anyone has any advice about finding the right parent dieties or even pantheon would be helpful.
    Also any advice or heads up about the Pagan community in Portland would be helpful (really any Portland advice would be nice haha). My boyfriend has lived there before but I have not and he is an Athiest so he doesn't know much about the Pagan community.
    I'm sorry to make my intro so full of dilemmas. Haha but I really appreciate anyone who has the time to even day Hello right now.
    Thank you

Re: Good day, my intro is long and full of questions.

Howdy, neighbor, and welcome!
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Hello Allie.

Just want to add that the confusion isn't all that likely to go away any time soon. I've been pagan far longer than seven years, thought exactly how long depends on how we count, and I'm still confused on a regular basis. I think, and this is just my idea mind, that it's because there is no real destination as a modern pagan, just a life long journey with pit stops along the way.
      Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Yeah, I know that we are constantly learning, no matter what stage we're in. I guess I thought I would know MORE is probably the best way to say what I meant.
        I think my biggest obstacle has been my fear of doing it all wrong so I've kept myself from meeting others and actually doing ritual. This is something I'm working on.

Comment

If theres one thing the people here have been helpful with, its helping me to understand that there's no wrong way. good luck on your search!

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy your time with us! :3

Comment

Welcome, Allie! I hope you'll enjoy the forum!

Yes, the scientific aspect was also something that I struggled with when I first delved into spirituality at all. But I learned to just embrace the fact that I was getting to question anything. A Christian upbringing can real hinder spiritual progress. But anywho. Later on, I began to bridge the gap between science and spirituality, and there have already been many advancements in the scientific community that are bridging the two even more. You'll find that science will/does explain the magical and spiritual happenings that are possible in the physical and spiritual realms. I recommend watching this video series, here's the first of three. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj_i7YqDwJA. It talks about Buddhism, but it basically connects spirituality with science. Hope it helps.

About your deities/ pantheon, it's a very personal and individualistic thing and widely varies between to persons. What would you like to know specifically and what kind of divinities are you interested in?

Comment

Welcome aboard

Comment

Thank you everybody.

And LeviImmortal, I just don't know how to invite deity into my life and to present itself to me. Or reach out to the god or goddess who does want to work with me.
                  Since childhood I have loved the faeries, still I assume I will be better fit in Celtic themes such as the Tuatha Da Dannan, but I dunno. I've just been reading the folklore and being open to a connection.

Comment

Welcome!

If you have any questions, there's a whole forum to find anwers in! We allso have the SAFE zone if there is something you are hesitant about asking.

In response to your concern about patron deities...its not a requirement to be pagan. I've been Pagan over 20 years and not had one (and don't want one). I'd say dont sweat it....if its meant to happen, it will.

The other bit, regarding science and Paganism (or religion in general) is that itheir reconciliation is a deeply personal and lifelong journey. For some, it leads to a cmplete rejection of one or the other....for most of us, there's a place in the middle. Personally, I work in the applied sciences, I have a degree in biology, and I start grad school for environmental science in the spring. There are many things that are often accepted in Paganisms that I personally reject, or understand as allegorical or symbolic...and there are just many things that I scientific that I look at for spiritual inspiration. How the next person reconciles their path can and will vary immensely--yest another thing not to sweat! Whatever you do, don't ever be "done"...keep exploring and pushing the boundaries of what you know and how and why you know it1
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Hello and welcome to PF!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                          X