Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use sweet grass to connect with the spirits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use sweet grass to connect with the spirits?

Have you ever used sweet grass for meditation? I was warned that I have to do it right or it could go very wrong...reading up about it seems fairly simplistic but maybe I'm missing something.

Re: How do you use sweet grass to connect with the spirits?

What does this "going wrong" entail?

I burn sweetgrass because its one of the few herbs I can use as incense that doesn't provoke my asthma and (lets face it) it smells good.

I use it during rituals and just because, and I've never had an adverse event occur...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I've never heard of it going wrong either. About the closest might be catching something on fire because you use to much and are not careful.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by MercuryHalo View Post
        Have you ever used sweet grass for meditation? I was warned that I have to do it right or it could go very wrong...reading up about it seems fairly simplistic but maybe I'm missing something.
        I've never used sweet grass and I know very little about it, but a quick Google tells me that it's a smudge rather than an entheogen. Of course, it was five minutes on Google so I could be wrong.... but it wasn't on any of the entheogen lists that I looked at.

If it's not an actual entheogen that possesses actual psychotropic properties, then I can't see what the 'going wrong' part could be, except maybe allergies? I wouldn't presume as to speak to the safety of a herb that I know so little about, but I'm interested to see if anyone knows anything further.

Comment

I'm not really sure. A close friend of mine who's also seer, a young seer mind you but he is...he just warned me to do it right. I presume maybe if the rituals or meditation is done wrong I could be inviting the wrong kind of spirits? I'm not really sure. I wanted to go see a shaman healer/seer on the rez near my city but he also told me not to go there because of the racism issues that still linger on most reserves. That being said I'm a little lost...

Comment

Sweetgrass is dried, bundled together and used as a smudge to call in helpful spirits and ancestors.

I have never once heard of smudging "going wrong." Some people use white sage prior to using sweetgrass smudging so they can purify the space before inviting other spirits into it, but that's really up to you.

Comment

Thanks. It sounded strange to me too. Maybe he misunderstood me but I thought I'd get a second opinion.

Comment

Now I have to go all technical on this and ask what kind of Sweet Grass because from my quick look on Google and wikipedia it can refer to several different species of grass/herb, amongst them Cannabis.

I assume that it's the plant Hierochloe odorata also known as Holy Grass, Mary's Grass and by several other names that you are asking about. Took me a bit to figure out what it was called in Danish, hence the delayed reply, and I've used it the few times I've smudged, I prefer Sweet Grass to Sage since Sweet Grass is native to my country and Sage isn't. I've never, ever had anything go wrong with this and I honestly can't see how it could since it tend to get rid of bad "vibes"/spirits and attract good ones.

As for the warning I suppose whoever warned might have thought you were talking about Cannabis. If that was the case, I understand the warning.
                Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I suspect he might have meant to use it in a reverent manner so as not to attract "lower level entities". Just a guess, but smudging is a sacred act that should be done reverently in general.

Comment

Working...
                  X