This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book of Shadows/Grimoire

Hey everyone. I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I couldn't think of where else to put it.

Anyway, like many before me, I began my journey in magic with Wicca. As I studied and grew, I identified with a more generic title of Paganism rather than Wicca. (It has been about 6 years).

Two years ago I decided to start my Book of Shadows that I intend to be a family volume for future generations (it is a large bound book). My dilemma is that I have called and titled it a Book of Shadows when that is a Wiccan belief. Would Grimoire be more appropriate? Likewise, I began it with the Witches' Creed (the long poem, not the Rede). I also included the Wiccan principles of belief (with the idea that they are secular in origin and can be applied to many paths). I am just worried that now these Wiccan ideologies are in my book which I have been building up for two years, and which I would prefer to be non-religion-specific. Aside from the aforementioned, the rest of the book is secular and non denominational. Do you think its problematic?

Sorry this is so long winded, I just had to verbalize it and I would love to register your opinions.

Looking forward to responses.

Originally posted by mjvblue View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I couldn't think of where else to put it.

Anyway, like many before me, I began my journey in magic with Wicca. As I studied and grew, I identified with a more generic title of Paganism rather than Wicca. (It has been about 6 years).

Two years ago I decided to start my Book of Shadows that I intend to be a family volume for future generations (it is a large bound book). My dilemma is that I have called and titled it a Book of Shadows when that is a Wiccan belief. Would Grimoire be more appropriate? Likewise, I began it with the Witches' Creed (the long poem, not the Rede). I also included the Wiccan principles of belief (with the idea that they are secular in origin and can be applied to many paths). I am just worried that now these Wiccan ideologies are in my book which I have been building up for two years, and which I would prefer to be non-religion-specific. Aside from the aforementioned, the rest of the book is secular and non denominational. Do you think its problematic?

Sorry this is so long winded, I just had to verbalize it and I would love to register your opinions.

Looking forward to responses.
    I guess it depends on how much those wiccan philosophies have influenced you in the past, and how much you subscribe to them now. Thats your answer. If it means nothing to you now, move on, if it still does, well then well and good.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Book of Shadows/Grimoire

I often refer to mine as my Magical Journal - a record of my journey. So the fact that you started with wicca and moved on wouldn't be a problem. I did a couple of videos about Books of Shadows here on this Youtube Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...GLf1xU1lnpBQec

You might find them helpful.
      And remember - it doesn't matter what we call our books. THEY know what they are...
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

This was very good advice and the videos you shared reslly helped me see things in a different light. I feel much more comfortable now.

Thanks much and many blessings

On a side note, the rest of your videos are extremely helpful as while, and I'll definitely be watching them!

Comment

Originally posted by mjvblue View Post
          This was very good advice and the videos you shared reslly helped me see things in a different light. I feel much more comfortable now.

Thanks much and many blessings

On a side note, the rest of your videos are extremely helpful as while, and I'll definitely be watching them!
          Thank you - glad you found them helpful and thanks so much for the feedback!
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I call mine the Book of Understanding ... as I'm still figuring out things :3

Comment

Working...
            X