Clear All

Re: Humanism

I like the new Pope.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
      I like the new Pope.
      He excommunicated the entire Mafia.

One wonders why previous Popes never thought of doing that...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

This is possibly the most entertaining thing I've read today.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I enjoyed the videos immensely...

I wonder if the current Pope has Humanist leanings? Wouldn't that be the cat's pajamas?
          He's a Jesuit...so it wouldn't surprise me that there are elements of his beliefs which are in-line with a Humanistic world-view. The Jesuit order has a fairly long history of working with marginalized peoples, and they tend (at least in comparison with Catholicism as a whole) to be a bit liberal. But I don't think he would self-identify as having humanist leanings. As far as modern Jesuits go, he's fairly middle of the road-to-conservative. But there is a Christian Humanist movement (there's a retired Episcopalian bishop that is fairly well known for his writings on the subject, and for stirring up controversy--John Shelby Spong), and there are certain more orthodox and conservative Christian traditions (Catholicism for one) that have ideas and teachings that are compatible with Humanism, but I think in the case of the latter, it would be a mistake to attribute that to Humanism.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah...

But, honestly, I don't so much care what one calls oneself as much as I care about what their actions show about them. Labels are vastly overrated.

If it acts like a humanist, talks like a humanist, and thinks like a humanist, who cares if it calls itself a boogie man or a tomato?

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

What a legend.
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

While I find it admirable for its skepticism towards religion and questioning of authority, and think it can be helpful to society in some ways, humanism just seems a bit too optimistic and I don't agree with its belief in all the value and goodness of humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceKhanakus_the111th View Post
                  While I find it admirable for its skepticism towards religion and questioning of authority, and think it can be helpful to society in some ways, humanism just seems a bit too optimistic and I don't agree with its belief in all the value and goodness of humanity.
                  It is optimistic, but not as you suppose, PrinceKhanakus.... -

It has optimism in the belief that humans CAN chose better.

Comment

It is optimistic, but not as you suppose, PrinceKhanakus.... -

It has optimism in the belief that humans CAN chose better.
                    I doubt all of them will be willing to do so. Many of them would need to have experienced complex situations in order for them to realize what's the better choice. Getting some people to change isn't as easy as just giving them information and using reason. So I find it rather doubtful that during my lifetime, all countries will grant women, sexual, religious and ethnic minorities, etc equal rights, reason would be more favored throughout the world than religious dogma, third world countries would rise out of the conditions that they face, and so on.

Comment

I doubt all of them will be willing to do so...
                      Of course not - nothing ever works all the time.

But increase the odds that some will, and you increase the odds that more will.

..Many of them would need to have experienced complex situations in order for them to realize what's the better choice. Getting some people to change isn't as easy as just giving them information and using reason...
                      Yes, they would need to be guided in ethical behavior.

... So I find it rather doubtful that during my lifetime, all countries will grant women, sexual, religious and ethnic minorities, etc equal rights, reason would be more favored throughout the world than religious dogma, third world countries would rise out of the conditions that they face, and so on.
                      Nope, I agree, not in your life anymore than it did in mine.

But some will get better, much of the time, though there's some back sliding.

If it is "all or nothing, only," it will often be "nothing."

Comment

I doubt all of them will be willing to do so. Many of them would need to have experienced complex situations in order for them to realize what's the better choice. Getting some people to change isn't as easy as just giving them information and using reason. So I find it rather doubtful that during my lifetime, all countries will grant women, sexual, religious and ethnic minorities, etc equal rights, reason would be more favored throughout the world than religious dogma, third world countries would rise out of the conditions that they face, and so on.
                        I'd say the problem there is who is defining success and what equality is? Makes it hard to obtain a universal consensus when people can't even arrive at a universal consensus of what success and equality is. At this point in time, and probably any point in time, it will be through applying or imposing ones own standards upon another group and trying to tell them what it is. Once you start defining something based upon enforced or imposed standards then its never success or equality regardless of how much those imposing them claim it will better the group being imposed upon.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

You know I'm an atheist. And some people want to describe me as a humanist. Then I have to remind them not only do I not believe in god, I hate humans. So yeah. Humanism isn't for me.

*sits in the waiting room for Hell.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I really dislike the term "anti-theist."

It strikes me of having the kind of negative connotations that one group uses to label their opponents - you know, like "anti-American," "anti-education," "anti-choice," and "anti-life."

A better term, which defines me by what I am FOR, rather than what I am AGAINST is Humanism.

To define:

Humanism, in general, means "an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems."

"Humanism is one of those philosophies for people who think for themselves. There is no area of thought that a Humanist is afraid to challenge and explore.

Humanism is a philosophy focused upon human means for comprehending reality. Humanists make no claims to possess or have access to supposed transcendent knowledge.

Humanism is a philosophy of reason and science in the pursuit of knowledge. Therefore, when it comes to the question of the most valid means for acquiring knowledge of the world, Humanists reject arbitrary faith, authority, revelation, and altered states of consciousness.

Humanism is a philosophy of imagination. Humanists recognize that intuitive feelings, hunches, speculation, flashes of inspiration, emotion, altered states of consciousness, and even religious experience, while not valid means to acquire knowledge, remain useful sources of ideas that can lead us to new ways of looking at the world. These ideas, after they have been assessed rationally for their usefulness, can then be put to work, often as alternative approaches for solving problems.

Humanism is a philosophy for the here and now. Humanists regard human values as making sense only in the context of human life rather than in the promise of a supposed life after death.

Humanism is a philosophy of compassion. Humanist ethics is solely concerned with meeting human needs and answering human problems-for both the individual and society-and devotes no attention to the satisfaction of the desires of supposed theological entities.

Humanism is a realistic philosophy. Humanists recognize the existence of moral dilemmas and the need for careful consideration of immediate and future consequences in moral decision making.

Humanism is in tune with the science of today. Humanists therefore recognize that we live in a natural universe of great size and age, that we evolved on this planet over a long period of time, that there is no compelling evidence for a separable "soul," and that human beings have certain built-in needs that effectively form the basis for any human-oriented value system.

Humanism is in tune with today's enlightened social thought. Humanists are committed to civil liberties, human rights, church-state separation, the extension of participatory democracy not only in government but in the workplace and education, an expansion of global consciousness and exchange of products and ideas internationally, and an open-ended approach to solving social problems, an approach that allows for the testing of new alternatives.

Humanism is in tune with new technological developments. Humanists are willing to take part in emerging scientific and technological discoveries in order to exercise their moral influence on these revolutions as they come about, especially in the interest of protecting the environment.

Humanism is, in sum, a philosophy for those in love with life. Humanists take responsibility for their own lives and relish the adventure of being part of new discoveries, seeking new knowledge, exploring new options. Instead of finding solace in prefabricated answers to the great questions of life, humanists enjoy the open-endedness of a quest and the freedom of discovery that this entails."

WHAT IS HUMANISM
                            Im all for Humanism from the standpoint of bettering humanity , however, its obvious when we examine societies over the last few thousand years and especially today in America, we see that Man is simply incapable of managing his own affairs well and maintaining a civil society . High morals, ethics, principles for living seem to be something that is not really valued which has made way for all kinds of societal ills including the harming and premature dying of countless individuals even though the Humanist mantra has always been : ' Engage in any lifestyle you like SO LONG AS NOBODY GETS HURT ' thru the making of Man as his own ultimate authority. As Secular Humanism has become the forefront of American society , it has resulted in an escalation of moral depravity so its clear it hasn't work and isn't working .

Isnt it relatively easy to see that Man left to himself to be his own authority will be his ultimate demise ? I think so. I personally don't think Man was ever meant to be #1 because Man/Woman is too engrained with self centeredness at any cost / narcissistic to the core / and vetos sound morals, ethics, principles under the slightest of inconvenience. One of the Humanist Manifesto affirmations encourage Sexual Relativism 'so long as nobody gets hurt' but I doubt too many Spouses would go along with their Marriage Partner suddenly announcing that they've decided to become a Sexual Relativist because they are in charge .

Comment

Okey-dokey.

Comment

Sits with Duce,and share the cookies and chocolate milk just to pass the time.
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X