X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Binding Spells

Your talking about Defixiones. There's a good book titled

Curse Tablets and Binding Spells from the Ancient World, John G. Gager, Oxford University Press, 1992, ISBN 0-19-506226.4 or ISBN 0-19-513482.6
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I do believe in the Law of Three (though I dispute and actual "quantity" to be actually three LOL). I've also done bindings to prevent others from doing harm to me and mine. I adhere to the version of the rede that says "Lest in thy self-defense it be ever mind the rule of three." (And I include "mine" in "self-defense"--at least in most cases.)

That said, those I have bound from harming me and mine had already started some and seemed to be intent on continuing to do so. I've had no repercussions from doing so and found them to be quite effective. They generally involved binding something to represent the person being bound (either with thread, rubber bands, a lid secured on a jar with candlewax, etc.). Ultimately, however it was the intent behind the spell that made the spell. The actions behind it were merely psychodrama enacted to reinforce the intent.

Comment

As Monsno says, in the ancient world they were defixiones (Roman) and Katedesmoi (Greek). Binding has many different meanings, not all of them negative. And the way the defixiones were done would probably shock modern neo-pagans. For example, gods could be bound by mortals, e.g. the Spartans bound their war god Enyalius to ensure they never lost their skill in war (according to Pausanias). the goddess Artemis was particularly popular for binding to ensure she didn't run off into the wild woods, presumably.

Many of those who used defixiones seem to have preferred to remain anonymous, perhaps fearing that the curse could rebound upon them if they put their name to it. Usually the guilty party would be named, and sometimes a defixio would include a list of likely culprits. Other defixiones remain totally anonymous, with neither the spell-caster nor the victim named, usually following the format ‘May whoever stole… etc.’

The terms ‘defixio’ and καταδέω ‘katadeo’ literally mean ‘I bind’ or ‘put a spell upon…’ Curse tablets were often made of lead, perhaps because it did not deteriorate which meant that the curse would not lessen over time (although actually lead deteriorates quite badly which is why so many curse tablets are hard to read now). The tablets were often pierced with nails, perhaps reinforcing the binding intention so that the victim could not escape.

Twisting was also seen as something inherently magical and it might be for that reason Hephaestus was often portrayed with twisted legs. Magical texts - especially those used for curses - were not only twisted physically but also often written in twisted fashion. It is quite common for texts to be written in ‘boustrophedon’ form i.e. with lines written alternatively from left to right and from right to left. Names are often distorted by being spelled in reverse.

I think nowadays people are far more worried about the ethics of spell casting than they used to be. Whether this is a good thing or not, I am not sure. There are times when curses are necessary, just as there are times when robbery can be justified and a good many other things besides.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
        X