This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding Spells

Im curious about different binding spells. For example binding from doing harm, binding together, ect.

Re: Binding Spells

Curious about what

How to do them?

Ethical implications of doing them?

How to block them?

How to break them?

Whether or not Cthulu is watching every binding spell on the planet, plotting ways to twist such art to his own ends?

We've got people around who are familiar with them but a topic of just "binding spells" can get replies ranging from "they're a migraine, leave them alone" to a small book depending on how bored any given member is. This is doubly true in your case since you appear to be expanding the more common meaning of "prevent target SOB from doing something" to other areas.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

i guess more so on how do they work, are they dependable if i needed to do one how would i begin what would the repercussions be if the three fold applied.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

Whether or not Cthulu is watching every binding spell on the planet, plotting ways to twist such art to his own ends?
      who is cthulu??

Comment

Cthulu is fictional, that question was more of a bad joke on my part. The others are the more serious ones and I'll leave this to parties more experienced in this form of craft.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by jaidynfaith View Post
          who is cthulu??
          :=o:

:cthulhu::cthulhu::cthulhu::cthulhu::cthulhu:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cthul4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	352484

HP Lovecraft, horror fiction. Awesome read...

As for binding spells... I honestly don't know where to start. I just had to step in with Cthulhu. I'll leave the specifics of binding to someone who has more brain capacity than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            Cthulu is fictional, that question was more of a bad joke on my part. The others are the more serious ones and I'll leave this to parties more experienced in this form of craft.
            Whether or not he's fictional now is up for debate. Eregores are funny things.

You seem to understand the basics of what a binding spell is. It's a spell whose purpose is to prevent or compel an individual to do something. The other possible definition would be a spell that links things. They all work on the same basic principle of trying to either prevent or create an action in another, most commonly it's a "do no harm" type deal. Generally they're done between two specific people (ex. I bind Bobby from harming Mary-Sue) but being more generalized isn't unheard of (ex. Mary-Sue binds her family from being harmed), though the latter would probably be considered a protection spell than a binding. Binding spells can also be altered into link individuals (ex. Bobby binds his girlfriend Alice to him in their commitment ceremony). However, these are very different results with spell that happen to be called the same thing and (in my opinion) work in a similar way.

As Masked said you should be more specific if you want proper answers. The key with them is that they only can influence behavior because people always have free will to do as they wish. So if someone is determined no amount of binding will stop them (unless you bind them with duct tape, but that's a very special magic called assault). I've done a few binding spells but I must say I'm not very good at them. It's a commonly requested spell (if you're the type of person who takes requests/sells their services) but, I think, a difficult one to really get the hang of.
            Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
              Whether or not he's fictional now is up for debate. Eregores are funny tasty things.
              Fixed for you. :cthulhu:

In all seriousness, valid point but the original reference was still not meant to be taken literally and we should probably cover the egregore discussion later.

Comment

One warning that no one bothered to tell me until after the fact: if you aren't careful, you could actually hurt the person.

Comment

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
                  One warning that no one bothered to tell me until after the fact: if you aren't careful, you could actually hurt the person.

If your not careful and specific in your actions you can hurt yourself or bind yourself to the person your trying to bind.

Personally I don't use them and only find them truly effective on episodes of Charmed. Mostly because the planning, focus and specific structure and formatting needled are seldom applied properly to make them work in my opinion. I find people do more damage and hurt to themselves than any restrictions they actually impose upon another.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Ive only worked on one once. I didnt finish it though because the person in question moved away, so I disbanded my poppet.

Otherwise, Corvus covered it pretty well.
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

IMHO they are unnecessary and disrespectful. That's not to say that a possible situation couldn't arise where they helpful, however, my general association with them is not a good one.

If you are needing to bind an entity (be that animal/person/spirit/etc) you are inherently interfering with free will. That really bothers me. On top of that, it is highly disrespectful. I would say that you would want to be careful to lay protections to prevent said entity from turning on you because you'll probably... make them angry. Though, honestly, I don't really want to help you with that process because it just goes so much against the grain.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by binding against harm.

I have heard of people binding the elements to them. It was ages ago and I don't really remember the details, but that might be a path of exploration. I'm not sure that the elements really count as an entity, I would have to do more research, so that may be something I'm more or less okay with.

With any spell work, I would say that concentration and discipline are key. If you don't have to discipline to sit down and do the research (be that googling it or going to your library and getting books) you aren't going to have the discipline to cast the spells. Research really is the basis of any practice and you have to take the time to search, look, and listen. On top of that, developing the discipline to wait it out is also very important. You don't jump to such complex spells right off the bat. You start with simple things, and figure out the basics. Cast a couple circles (or similar, whatever your tradition states), do some basic grounding, develop your inner skills. Meditation. Feeling your own energy. Maybe explore some of the divination techniques, or herb lore, or crystals. Just looking into them enough to figure out what draws you. Binding spells are a long way off.

I would highly recommend finding some local people who can help you learn. Unitarian Universalist churches can be a good place to start. Lots of them have CUUPs groups that could at least point you in the right direction. Sometimes local colleges will have a pagan group that you could contact to see if they have any groups outside the school that gather. Another option is festivals. Pagan Pride festivals are pretty common, just google what's in your area.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I have no qualms about interfering with free will or causing harm where warranted, so the ethical implications of a potential "binding" spell mean nothing to me. But in regards to the OP - your question about possible repercussions in regards to the Wiccan Rede - well, that's not easily defined due to the fact that there is no specific purpose that the hypothetical "binding" spell of which we're speaking here serves.

Certainly, it's easy to assume that if you bind someone else or, as Shahaku pointed out, an entity - you are asking for trouble, so be prepared. That's not to say that I believe that every instance of a "binding" will result in some kind of negative backlash, but it's a possibility. If you believe in the Rede, well - there's the potential for harm, so that's something you would have to work out for yourself in regards to what your own ethical convictions may be.

I personally feel that "binding spells" are somewhat romanticised amongst Neo-Wiccans for some reason. I rarely hear of such spells discussed outside of Neo-Wiccan paths or paths inspired by Wicca.

That being said, I was always taught that binding spells should be approached with caution as one can potentially entangle one's own energy with the person/thing/etc. being bound. However, I do believe that one can successfully interfere with or oppress something with magick without "binding" one's own energy to the target. In other words, I don't feel that all spells that interfere with free will or constrict/obstruct are "bindings".

Comment

In the ancient world, forensic curses were a form of binding spell intended to bind or prevent the person from giving evidence in court...
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

My opinion on binding spells depends largely on what you hope to achieve with one. A binding is simply a technique... like a poppet. You can use a binding for a number of different things... some of which aren't very smart to attempt. The ethics of binding another person are controversial, but I am no more opposed to a deserved binding-from-harm than I am a deserved curse. Remembering, of course, that 'deserved' is a completely subjective concept which depends entirely on your perspective.

The important thing to realise about bindings is that they are no more than a bandaid in many situations. Usually, it is much more valuable and effective to work on things like your own protective shields, your aural hygeine, the way that you react to external influences and the energetic ties that you may or may not realise you have. Many people are quick to jump into binding a person who upsets/hurts them and ignore WHY they upset/hurt them and why it has such an impact. I generally have a much more holistic approach to these things.

Besides, it takes less skill and effort to shield and cut energetic ties than it does to properly bind a person... with less potential for side effects or backlash.

Of course, you can use binding spells for all sorts of things... from stopping harm to creating energetic ties to weight loss. That's why it's so difficult to give a clear answer to this question. What type of binding are you interested in and why? The answers to those questions will allow for a proper reply.

Comment

I believe (though Mrs. P might be able to correct me here) that "binding spell" doesn't mean what people tend to think it means (or that there is an entirely new, and mostly out of context use of the term going on)---originally a "binding spell" was a curse, relayed on a curse tablet (a super thin sheet of a soft metal with the curse etched in it, that was then folded up, or otherwise "bound" and placed appropriately, depending on the type of spell) (in the case of love spells, a figurine might be "bound" with hair, etc). (we all know to take Wiki with a grain of salt, but apparently it agrees with me)

Today though, a "binding spell" is the idea of energetically "binding" something to or from someone. I've participated (many years ago) in a group ritual to "bind" justice to someone... (or, all that stuff Corvus said)

As for the threefold law...I don't believe in it, and I never (even as a Wiccan) believed in it literally...but, even when I believed in it metaphorically, I belief that it didn't mean that you got the same thing back, but rather you got back your intent. Are your actions (even if negative) to do something good overall--to preserve the safety or health or sanity of a loved one? Or is is something selfish and petty--to get back at an ex (ex friend ex partner, etc)? That is what you invite back...your hope, or your hate.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X