This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thing about my job

Yeah, I know I'm always moaning about work, but it's all I do.

So, when a society reaches a certain point, they create police. The first police force, in the strictly modern sense, was the London Metropolitan Police force, organized in 1830 by Sir Robert Peel (hence the term "bobbies" and "peelers"), and this was copied world-wide within a century. And when society creates a cop, they create a de facto policy maker. After all, the first point of policy is decided by the person enforcing it.

Cops invariably turn into one of two types. The first becomes calloused by the job, and is essentially a semi-civilized thug carrying out whatever orders he/she is given, because it's easier than thinking about the shit that gets dumped in your lap every day.

The second kind becomes paranoid, viewing society as a zoo full of dangerous animals that will kill the zookeepers for the crime of protecting them. The fact that this sort of cop considers himself a zookeeper is really all you need to know.

So, there you have it. You can choose, for your front-end policy makers, between thugs and paranoids. Well, you don't have to choose, because if you don't, the choice will be made for you. Which seems to be the case in the United States and England.

Sounds like teachers. One half just get on with the job without really giving a shit, they might care, but not enough. The other half hate kids.

Why is it so difficult to find the good people?
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Thing about my job

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      Sounds like teachers. One half just get on with the job without really giving a shit, they might care, but not enough. The other half hate kids.

Why is it so difficult to find the good people?
      It's not the people, it's the environment. You take a regular person, make him a cop, and he will turn into one of the two types.

As for teachers, I dunno. Maybe pay them what their degree is worth, and fund the school systems to the point where teachers aren't buying classroom supplies out of their own pocket? Then when you attract some better people, shitcan the ones that demonstrate their hatred of kids (yeah, they DO exist).

Comment

My grandfather was one of NYC's finest, and he didn't fit those stereotypes. Of course things were different back then.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post

It's not the people, it's the environment. You take a regular person, make him a cop, and he will turn into one of the two types.

As for teachers, I dunno. Maybe pay them what their degree is worth, and fund the school systems to the point where teachers aren't buying classroom supplies out of their own pocket? Then when you attract some better people, shitcan the ones that demonstrate their hatred of kids (yeah, they DO exist).
          Agree. Just agree. I don't have the answers for the police system though :/
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I know a few cops that aren't like that, but would agree with your assessment...

So the question is, how can you fix it? Or lessen it...
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              I know a few cops that aren't like that, but would agree with your assessment...

So the question is, how can you fix it? Or lessen it...
              Reduce the crime rates through meaningful social investment would be what I would suggest. This is a simplistic way of putting it, since in reality it is much more complex than that. Additionally, it might be good to work on forming better relations and connections between law enforcement and the community, so they do not see each other as being separate from another.

This is from an outsider looking in though, and ultimately the people who properly know what to do are going to be the law enforcement officers themselves, but I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
                Additionally, it might be good to work on forming better relations and connections between law enforcement and the community, so they do not see each other as being separate from another.
                As someone who lives in a small town with it's own police force, I'd have to agree with this. It is really hard for people to think of cops as being hired thugs, when the officer knocking at your door is Bob from down the lane. At the same time it's hard for Officer Bob to dismiss Alice as just some gutter trash lowlife when she's Missy Tanner's kid.

Another thing that goes with everyone knowing who you are, is accountability. If you act like an ass, everyone is going to know you're an ass practically immediately.

I just don't know how a city with hundreds of thousands of people can get anywhere near that.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
                  Reminds me of the Stanford Prison Experiment. Put someone in a certain environment, and they'll take on that mold.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                    As someone who lives in a small town with it's own police force, I'd have to agree with this. It is really hard for people to think of cops as being hired thugs, when the officer knocking at your door is Bob from down the lane. At the same time it's hard for Officer Bob to dismiss Alice as just some gutter trash lowlife when she's Missy Tanner's kid.

Another thing that goes with everyone knowing who you are, is accountability. If you act like an ass, everyone is going to know you're an ass practically immediately.

I just don't know how a city with hundreds of thousands of people can get anywhere near that.
                    I think the big mistake was doing away with the beat cop.

Comment

Working...
                    X