This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Five Paths Tradition, a new tradition of withcraft

Hi everyone! I am a part of a new tradition of witchcraft called the Five Paths Tradition. You won't find anything about it online or books or anything like that, so I was wondering if there was any interest to learn about it from other pagans, witches, wiccans, etc...? This isn't a new religion, but a semi-structured way to practice magic by breaking it up into five paths. These five paths each work with energy in a specific way to take the load off of the group when performing a spell or ritual, or even yourself when performing your own rites or spells. There is more philosophy and technique to each path, but if more interest is shown, I would be greatly happy to teach everyone more about it! Thank you!

Re: The Five Paths Tradition, a new tradition of withcraft

I'm intrigued.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I'm curious, would a basic rundown be out of the question??

Comment

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing some of the basic ideas and practices. I assume it's more than just you, how did you group get together and decide to form this all up?
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

*points to Gardenia* Same questions for me. I'd like a basic rundown.
          Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Of course I'd give you all more information, I'm happy to know some people are al least interested in hearing about it. Keep in mind this is still new, no ancient traditions or things like that, just a philosophy applied to the performance of magic and witchcraft.

Firstly, I will define magic as broad as possible, magic is energy. Now this magic permeates everything, living beings, non-living beings, and the universe itself. I believe that magic is manipulated in five different ways:
            1. through the self
            2. through other living beings
            3. through non-living objects
            4. through the forces of nature and the cosmos
            5. using the energy itself

Everything that is performed by magic is done by manipulating the energy in, through, or using one of these five mediums, or in the case of the fifth, using the energy raw.
            If there are five different ways of manipulating the energy in a spell, ritual, or whatever the case may be, why not give one person the responsibility of one medium and let them handle that part of the spell, those energies that need to be worked with.

Each of these five has a name that has been given to it. These are not really important, what's important is what they stand for, but we liked these names, although if you think there are better ones in your opinion, please by all means change it!
            Witch- a person manipulating the energies in oneself
            Enchanter- a person manipulating the energies in other living being
            Sorcerer- a person manipulating the energies in non-living objects
            Diviner- a person manipulating the energies in nature and the universe
            Alchemist- a person manipulating and changing raw energy

Let's say you wanted to do a ritual to honor a god or nature or the spirits...
            The enchanter would help everybody to align their energies with one another, to be more in tune with each other.
            The sorcerer would work with the energies within the tools that were being used, blessing them, cleaning them, ridding them of useless energy, whatever need be done.
            The diviner would work with the energies of the land and in nature. Balancing out the forces, inviting spirits or banishing them, or cleansing the land.
            The alchemist would take the energy, the magic, from each individual given during the actual ritual and combine it. They would guide it to wherever it needs to be sent.
            Lastly, when all come together to perform the ritual, everyone uses their own energy to begin the spell, calling up the magic inside of them that the alchemist will combine and send off. While each has their own part, they are all still witches, the first path belongs to all.

Just because there are only five paths though does not mean that a coven needs to be only five, or that a group of only five should perform the rite. There can be more than one of each different type of person helping each other manipulate the energy. In a group of twelve, four people can do all the preparation, or it can be done in groups of three, then everybody can come together to perform the ritual.

This system also works for individuals, just as a way to organize your mind during a spell. Did I prepare my tools? Did I prepare my environment? Do I know where I am sending this energy? One person can perform all five paths, knowing them just helps to structure the entire thing .

A note for how this all began, this all came from my personal belief system and how I performed my own magical spells and rituals. It was only after some discussion with a curious christian friend about how magic is performed that I began to talk more openly about how I personally practice magic. I talked with a couple other pagans who seemed to really enjoy my method and said that it could probably work better if each role was assigned to a different person instead of one person doing all the "heavy lifting," unless of course you are a solitary practitioner, then this is like a mental divider, dividing up your attention to each area and keeping it all on order. All in all, this is what it led to, the Five Paths Tradition.

I would love to hear any questions, comments, doubts, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
              Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing some of the basic ideas and practices. I assume it's more than just you, how did you group get together and decide to form this all up?
              Yes, me too.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by masonofthegods View Post
              Of course I'd give you all more information, I'm happy to know some people are al least interested in hearing about it. Keep in mind this is still new, no ancient traditions or things like that, just a philosophy applied to the performance of magic and witchcraft.

Firstly, I will define magic as broad as possible, magic is energy. Now this magic permeates everything, living beings, non-living beings, and the universe itself. I believe that magic is manipulated in five different ways:
              1. through the self
              2. through other living beings
              3. through non-living objects
              4. through the forces of nature and the cosmos
              5. using the energy itself

Everything that is performed by magic is done by manipulating the energy in, through, or using one of these five mediums, or in the case of the fifth, using the energy raw.
              If there are five different ways of manipulating the energy in a spell, ritual, or whatever the case may be, why not give one person the responsibility of one medium and let them handle that part of the spell, those energies that need to be worked with.

Each of these five has a name that has been given to it. These are not really important, what's important is what they stand for, but we liked these names, although if you think there are better ones in your opinion, please by all means change it!
              Witch- a person manipulating the energies in oneself
              Enchanter- a person manipulating the energies in other living being
              Sorcerer- a person manipulating the energies in non-living objects
              Diviner- a person manipulating the energies in nature and the universe
              Alchemist- a person manipulating and changing raw energy

Let's say you wanted to do a ritual to honor a god or nature or the spirits...
              The enchanter would help everybody to align their energies with one another, to be more in tune with each other.
              The sorcerer would work with the energies within the tools that were being used, blessing them, cleaning them, ridding them of useless energy, whatever need be done.
              The diviner would work with the energies of the land and in nature. Balancing out the forces, inviting spirits or banishing them, or cleansing the land.
              The alchemist would take the energy, the magic, from each individual given during the actual ritual and combine it. They would guide it to wherever it needs to be sent.
              Lastly, when all come together to perform the ritual, everyone uses their own energy to begin the spell, calling up the magic inside of them that the alchemist will combine and send off. While each has their own part, they are all still witches, the first path belongs to all.

Just because there are only five paths though does not mean that a coven needs to be only five, or that a group of only five should perform the rite. There can be more than one of each different type of person helping each other manipulate the energy. In a group of twelve, four people can do all the preparation, or it can be done in groups of three, then everybody can come together to perform the ritual.

This system also works for individuals, just as a way to organize your mind during a spell. Did I prepare my tools? Did I prepare my environment? Do I know where I am sending this energy? One person can perform all five paths, knowing them just helps to structure the entire thing .

A note for how this all began, this all came from my personal belief system and how I performed my own magical spells and rituals. It was only after some discussion with a curious christian friend about how magic is performed that I began to talk more openly about how I personally practice magic. I talked with a couple other pagans who seemed to really enjoy my method and said that it could probably work better if each role was assigned to a different person instead of one person doing all the "heavy lifting," unless of course you are a solitary practitioner, then this is like a mental divider, dividing up your attention to each area and keeping it all on order. All in all, this is what it led to, the Five Paths Tradition.

I would love to hear any questions, comments, doubts, etc...
              That's very interesting, thank you.
              I've never differed between sorcerer and witch to be honest. Except the gender of course. But I am not sure I understand the fifth part. About the alchemist.
              How does he use the energy itself if it is stocked within people or other living/non living objects?
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                That's very interesting, thank you.
                I've never differed between sorcerer and witch to be honest. Except the gender of course. But I am not sure I understand the fifth part. About the alchemist.
                How does he use the energy itself if it is stocked within people or other living/non living objects?
                Thank you for taking the time to read and think about it!

It is the energy that is given in a spell or ritual, the energy that goes somewhere or does something, it is the task of the alchemist to "handle" this energy, whether it be to send it to another realm or location, or to use it to heal or hurt someone.
                The alchemist is in command of using the energy given by the other witches. This allows the witch to free up their mind, to focus more on the giving of the energy than both that and the desired action of the energy.
                If the witch is the battery of the spell, then the alchemist is the gadget the batteries power, shaping, molding, and using that energy to create whatever desired result is needed, if that metaphor makes any sense.

Comment

Pretty cool. And welcome to the Pagan Forum, by the way!

I am a part of a tradition of Wicca that isn't in any book. It was created by my coven, and is called the "Winter Tradition". The difference to other traditions of Wicca is mostly on the Sabbats, and how ritual is performed, and what deity is considered. We're still a newbie tradition, so we have not yet figured out what our philosophy on magic and energy is.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
                    Pretty cool. And welcome to the Pagan Forum, by the way!

I am a part of a tradition of Wicca that isn't in any book. It was created by my coven, and is called the "Winter Tradition". The difference to other traditions of Wicca is mostly on the Sabbats, and how ritual is performed, and what deity is considered. We're still a newbie tradition, so we have not yet figured out what our philosophy on magic and energy is.
                    I'd love to hear an elaboration on your tradition, Winter. I've always been quite curious about your name

Comment

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post
                      I'd love to hear an elaboration on your tradition, Winter. I've always been quite curious about your name
                      Sure, I can do that. I'll start a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by masonofthegods View Post
                        Thank you for taking the time to read and think about it!

It is the energy that is given in a spell or ritual, the energy that goes somewhere or does something, it is the task of the alchemist to "handle" this energy, whether it be to send it to another realm or location, or to use it to heal or hurt someone.
                        The alchemist is in command of using the energy given by the other witches. This allows the witch to free up their mind, to focus more on the giving of the energy than both that and the desired action of the energy.
                        If the witch is the battery of the spell, then the alchemist is the gadget the batteries power, shaping, molding, and using that energy to create whatever desired result is needed, if that metaphor makes any sense.
                        Aaah, I see now. Thanks for explaining it to me
                        I would like to ask one more question, though. As far as I understand, the energy used by the witches and sorcerers is internal, and the energy used by alchemists (the one meant for the ritual) is external. Is that right?
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

It seems like an awesome way to work with magic. It's precise and seems to cover up all the ways that energy can be worked with. My only two cons for this way of working magic is: You need 5 people. It is extremely hard for anyone to find 5 people with a similar take on magic and energy, or that are interested in energy workings at all. Second: this technique seems a bit of an overkill for smaller workings.

5 people carry a lot of power, would you give an example of goals to be achieved through this technique?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                            Aaah, I see now. Thanks for explaining it to me
                            I would like to ask one more question, though. As far as I understand, the energy used by the witches and sorcerers is internal, and the energy used by alchemists (the one meant for the ritual) is external. Is that right?
                            Not exactly, all energy that is worked with is external, influencing the energies of the particular domain the magician is working with.
                            The only internal energy worked with is done by the witches that are working with the energies within themselves.
                            Now these energies can be used to influence other things, like a witch can use their own energy to put inside an item, or to infuse with another person to help or harm.
                            But a sorcerer uses the energy already inside an item and an enchanter manipulates the energy already inside another person, this can be through empathy, or aura manipulation, or chi aligning, things like that, working with the other person energy without injecting your own.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                              It seems like an awesome way to work with magic. It's precise and seems to cover up all the ways that energy can be worked with. My only two cons for this way of working magic is: You need 5 people. It is extremely hard for anyone to find 5 people with a similar take on magic and energy, or that are interested in energy workings at all. Second: this technique seems a bit of an overkill for smaller workings.

5 people carry a lot of power, would you give an example of goals to be achieved through this technique?
                              I completely understand your doubts! 4 people are the minimum for each to have a role, the first path of the witch, working with the energy inside oneself, is one everybody does as well as the role of enchanter, sorcerer, diviner, and alchemist.

1-3 people can do this also, in case of 3, 1 person can have multiple roles, being an enchanter and sorcerer, as well as the witch, while the other 2 hold the role of diviner and alchemist, as well as being witches. Same with a group of 2 people.

In case of a solitary practitioner, they can assume the role of all 5. It might seem like overkill for a solitary practitioner, but there is no set ritual that each path has to do, so that one person can use the five paths as a sort of mental organizer. In preparation for a spell or ritual, they mentally run through each path, did they fulfill the role of the sorcerer, working with their tools to make sure they are cleansed? Did they fulfill the role of diviner, cleansing the air or inviting spirits? Did they fulfill the role of enchanter, in case there is another living being around such as an animal or plant, connecting each others energy? During the spell or ritual, they act as the alchemist, sending or doing something with the energy raised and released.

For smaller workings, if one does a spell where no tools are used, then there is no need for the sorcerer to assume their role. If energy is not being used to be sent somewhere or to do something, then the alchemist does not need to work with that energy. Roles can be omitted when not needed, they are just used to break down parts of the magical working, making it more efficient and allowing more learning of the differences between energy.

The specific goal of this technique is to organize what energies are used and what is happening to them. It is also good for learning how to work with energies through a specific medium and find out which kind of energy you are most in tune with using.

I hoped I answered your questions correctly, if I didn't, I'm more than happy to try again!

Comment

Working...
                              X