This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hungry wedding guests question

You and your SO (male or female) decide to get married (no, it doesn't matter if it's legal ethereal you are).

Yes, I know it matters to you - I meant "for the purpose of the question." I'm sorry. I understand you're upset. I'll be more careful...

Anyways, getting married...

But, alas, you're pagan, and a great many of your fellow pagans have particular diets.

You're on a tight budget (you decide what that is), and have to be careful.

How far will you go to plan your wedding dinner around the eating/drinking habits of yor friends?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Hungry wedding guests question

Potluck. BYOF (bring your own food).

It's what we did for our handfasting - everybody had something they could eat, everyone ate & everyone left satisfied.

Of course, it helps when you know people who can actually cook, & not just slouches who bring chips & dip.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I would do my best to have proper alternatives to accommodate their preferences, but if I absolutely could only pick one meal plan, then it would be one which was more of a buffet-style plan, and people could avoid having to eat things which could provide a health or moral issue.

Comment

Just went through this last year. The place where we got married and had the reception was also doing the food. The request I made of them, due to the time of day was this: It is an elegant seaside lunch buffet. Give me two soups, one of which must be clam chowder, sandwiches of whatever though multiple variety, green salad of whatever kind, two cold salads of whatever kind, cheese and fruit tray, lemonade, tea, soft drinks. I have guests that are gluten free, vegan, lactose intolerant, and seafood allergic. Please make it happen."

And they did. Not one of the 60 odd guests or wedding party left hungry or disatisfied by food. Nor did it cost me anything extra.

Whomever you have chosen to handle your catering, if they truly wish to do well and not gouge Yet Another Wedding ... then they will work with you.

As an aside, we managed to do the whole wedding very inexpensively, relatively speaking ... so its not just fat credit cards that get that kind of treatment.

Comment

Hold the wedding mid-day so no formal dinner provisions are required. No reception and no dinner. Just nibblies - much easier and cheaper to attain for particular diets.

Comment

How far will I go?

I will go as far as my SO and I can agree on. For a caterer.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

None at all. It's my wedding. It's meat all day every day. F em.

Also the people going to my wedding would be my friends. Hence they would know exactly who I am. And would bring the wipes for pizza and bbq
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                None at all. It's my wedding. It's meat all day every day. F em.

Also the people going to my wedding would be my friends. Hence they would know exactly who I am. And would bring the wipes for pizza and bbq
                Damn. I might have to reconsider the catering option. PIZZA!

And BBQ!!

Though, both can be catered, these days... I just need an SO that wants the same catering service I do. Or, she needs to find me. LOL

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  How far will you go to plan your wedding dinner around the eating/drinking habits of yor friends?
                  Precisely as far as the SO can persuade me and not an inch further. Yes, I know, I'm an evil malevolent bastard but the ceremony is for two people and the rest are there for me to steal soul fragments for new pizzas. Since I'm the designated evil malevolent bastard, accommodations for everyone else will be dependent on a more benevolent party intervening.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I got married in 1981 at a traditional wedding/banquet hall. I have a tiny family and most of his relatives were far away and couldn't come, so we had less than 50 guests. The main dish was chicken, which was OK with everyone attending. There really weren't all these food allergies yet!
                    The only person I'm still in touch with, aside from my aunt, uncle, and 3 cousins, is my maid of honor. That was one of those "friends for life" things that started in college.

I won't be getting married again, so far as I can see.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      You and your SO (male or female) decide to get married (no, it doesn't matter if it's legal ethereal you are).

Yes, I know it matters to you - I meant "for the purpose of the question." I'm sorry. I understand you're upset. I'll be more careful...

Anyways, getting married...

But, alas, you're pagan, and a great many of your fellow pagans have particular diets.

You're on a tight budget (you decide what that is), and have to be careful.

As far as I'm concerned, it's my wedding and my wallet that's paying for it. So you can eat whatever the hell I serve up to you, or you can go hungry.

We did exactly what Torey said... held the wedding mid-morning, didn't have a reception and asked everyone to bring a plate of finger food (interstate guests exempted). It was hugely successful and our guests even got excited about who was bringing what dish. If I had to do a sit down dinner reception then I would do what my aunt did... make everyone pay $20 a head if they wanted dinner (in lieu of buying a gift)... then we could afford a two-option menu with vegan possibilities and a multi-tier cake made of cheese.

Comment

One of my daughter's had a wedding where the guest list was like a league of nations plus dietary requirements (kosher, halal, vegetarian, coeliac) . We held the reception in a pub (which was much much cheaper) had just a meal (with dessert only if the guest paid for it themselves.) We had a weird moment where the caterers put bacon on the Welsh Rarebit and had to remove it quick (for vegetarians, kosher and halal guests) but otherwise it went really well. Certainly kept within a very small budget. And her dress came from a local charity shop (a donation from a wedding shop that had gone bust - the dress still had the tickets on it.) She had the great experience of trying on the dress, parading around the shop and all the little old ladies there going 'ooh' 'aah' and 'don't she look beeeooootiful!'

A really magical wedding.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Went through this a little over a year ago. We spent around $1000 on our wedding (seriously it might have been less) I made spaghetti. I made four varieties. Regular. Vegan. One with no onion. And I can't even remember the other one. All homemade. Cost about $50 maybe $70 I know it was significantly less than $100. Yup. I'll go a long way.
                          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

As someone with food allergies, I would of course cater to food allergies. But really, there would be a meat option, and a vegan-gf option. Because that covers most of the bases. If there were other allergies than those, then I would probably make a few special request dishes.

That being said, I don't really care for planning a wedding. I want to elope.

Mostly art.

Comment

We did a three course meal with a salad first course and second course was chicken or beef with the same set up on veg but they chose their protein. We also didn't do a wedding cake we did pies. I like pies better than cake and I had the women in our families make them. It was a way to bring them together and they loved it. We had the reception at a hotel and the joy of doing that is all I had to do is inform them of any dietary restrictions and they catered to those.
                              But when it came to picking our menu we did try to give them a few options however in the end we picked what we wanted
                              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                              X