This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whoopi Goldberg: It's Your Right To Hit A Woman If She Hits You First

Everyone has the right to defend themselves. Gender has nothing to do with it. Many women have this idea that, "He can't hit me back, I'm a girl," and punch, slap, and shove their male counterparts when they do something they don't agree with. In that situation, I give the man every right to defend himself. Women as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LeviImmortal View Post
      Everyone has the right to defend themselves. Gender has nothing to do with it. Many women have this idea that, "He can't hit me back, I'm a girl," and punch, slap, and shove their male counterparts when they do something they don't agree with. In that situation, I give the man every right to defend himself. Women as well.
      Sober me says "this in a nutshell".

Comment

Hitting? That really depends. If someone is attacking you, use whatever force is necessary to stop them. Whether there is a gopher hole or a snake in between their legs matters not. Self defense is self defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by LeviImmortal View Post
        YES! I hate that shit. A woman hitting her man is just as abusive as a man hitting his woman. I hate the "women can't be abusers" myth.

Comment

I don't honestly think it matters if it doesn't physically hurt the guy. Getting hit by someone who is supposed to love you is also emotional abuse. No, not every guy in the world is gonna see it that way. I have a friend who beats the crap out of her boyfriend when he aggravates her and he just laughs about it, he doesn't care. But you gotta call it what it is, you know? Always be critical, always acknowledge double standards. Its funny when men get hurt because that's how we're conditioned. We don't see it for what it is and that's one sign of gender inequality that hurts men. If a woman EVER beat my brother, I don't care how much he brushes it off. I might not do anything, but i'm still going to mentally label her an abuser for the rest of my life.

However, I will say there is a difference between abuse a roughhousing. Its all about context. Why is she hitting him. Is it playful, or is it because he said/did something (nonviolent) shes not crazy about?

Comment

Originally posted by miss_mc View Post
            I don't honestly think it matters if it doesn't physically hurt the guy. Getting hit by someone who is supposed to love you is also emotional abuse. No, not every guy in the world is gonna see it that way. I have a friend who beats the crap out of her boyfriend when he aggravates her and he just laughs about it, he doesn't care. But you gotta call it what it is, you know? Always be critical, always acknowledge double standards. Its funny when men get hurt because that's how we're conditioned. We don't see it for what it is and that's one sign of gender inequality that hurts men. If a woman EVER beat my brother, I don't care how much he brushes it off. I might not do anything, but i'm still going to mentally label her an abuser for the rest of my life.

However, I will say there is a difference between abuse a roughhousing. Its all about context. Why is she hitting him. Is it playful, or is it because he said/did something (nonviolent) shes not crazy about?
            I agree here. But even if it's considered playful to one person, it may not be considered as such to the person's mate. If it hurts somehow the other person, this person can just say "please stop doing it.". Without any violence.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by miss_mc View Post
              Getting hit by someone who is supposed to love you is also emotional abuse.
              Sure, it can be emotional abuse (depending on context) and yes it remains wrong under such conditions. It doesn't however change either

1) legal restrictions
              2) my (I can't speak for other people) rules of engagement

If you're attack is a complete non-threat because you either don't know what you're doing or lack the physical ability to deal harm in the manner you're attempting then I am not at liberty to answer an ineffectual attempt to deal physical harm with an attack that can and will deal physical harm. I can stop the attack without dealing physical harm or I can disengage but to take a hit that mildly annoys me and retaliate at full strength is disproportionate, dishonorable and generally illegal. Now if the other party becomes a threat either by grabbing a weapon, changing tactics or turning their attention toward a target less equipped to fend them off then it's a whole different ball game and it's not a game that I play fairly or show mercy in. Once a person upgrades from pest to physical threat, all kinds of fun options become perfectly valid but I refuse to add those options to the table for people who aren't actual threats to my health or the health of those under my protection. I will recover faster from harsh language and being slapped then most people will from playing the game of "You don't need your right arm. Think of it as a chance to improve your left handed calligraphy."
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I think this thread is confused on what it wants to talk about. Abuse or hitting the opposite sex. They are not the same argument.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  I think this thread is confused on what it wants to talk about. Abuse or hitting the opposite sex. They are not the same argument.
                  Agreed.

That being said, in response to the opening post, gender should never be the consideration in terms of physical confrontation. If a man feels like he must use physical force to defend against a woman, then it is just as justified as if he were to use physical force against another man. However, I don't think anyone has the "right" to hit anyone and I don't think that physical force is a very wise response to take in most situations, as it can escalate the issue even further. There are plenty of alternative methods of stopping violent behaviour.

Comment

You have the right to hit anyone if they hit you first. I wouldn't though, no need to cause a fight unless necessary.

Comment

Of course if like someone like Hugh Jackman or The Rock hit me first, I might cry a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        Of course if like someone like Hugh Jackman or The Rock hit me first, I might cry a while.
                        Or get excited that they even touched me...
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                          Or get excited that they even touched me...
                          well, yeah. there's that.

Comment

Here's my take on this. It's not alright to hit ANYONE, whether you're male or female. If someone attacks you, you have the right to subdue them so they will be unable to harm you further, but it is not our place to hit anyone as long as they're not a threat to us or others. Like someone said before, "Use your words, Billy".
                            What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

To me physical conflict is the ultimate last resort, and everyone regardless of gender or body size has the right to defend themselves.
                              One thing I have learnt is that the human body is a fragile thing and even the tinniest of pixie people can maim a much larger opponent, after all most of our body is just a pink fleshy water bag :-)

In the ideal world violence would not happen.
                              Last edited by Optimistic discord; 16 Aug 2014, 11:10.

Comment

Working...
                              X