Asking the Gods for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking the Gods for help

I was wondering on how other people feel about asking their patron/matron god/desses for help outside of their dominion. For example, if Hecate was your matron goddess, then asking her help with all sorts of things wouldn't be too much of an issue because she is, among other things, a goddess of magic, but if Pontus was your patron god, could you ask him to help you out with health issues or something like that, since that is nowhere close to his dominion, the ocean?

Re: Asking the Gods for help

Originally posted by masonofthegods View Post
    I was wondering on how other people feel about asking their patron/matron god/desses for help outside of their dominion. For example, if Hecate was your matron goddess, then asking her help with all sorts of things wouldn't be too much of an issue because she is, among other things, a goddess of magic, but if Pontus was your patron god, could you ask him to help you out with health issues or something like that, since that is nowhere close to his dominion, the ocean?
    First Hekate is my Patroness not a matron as she is not a married woman. That said any practitioner can ask their god / goddess to assist / aide them in something even if it is outside of their normal perceived realm of influence. That a god / goddess doesn't typically work in an area doesn't mean they can not affect / effect something. Reality wise i'd think you have a better chance of your god / goddess aiding you with something they don't normally do than calling upon someone you never work with and asking them to do it for you. If they can't do it then I'd think the odds are they would direct you else where or have another come to you in their name.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

It greatly depends on the god/goddess. One won't ask for health from a wisdom deity or for wealth from a war deity. But we also should consider that they are still GODS and capable of doing a lot of great things, which we are not aware of.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
        It greatly depends on the god/goddess. One won't ask for health from a wisdom deity or for wealth from a war deity. But we also should consider that they are still GODS and capable of doing a lot of great things, which we are not aware of.
        I'd ask for wealth from a war god. War is pillaging, economy and jobs. Tons of wealth comes from war.
        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
        And planted firm Britannia's flag
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        And joined in love together,
        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I don't know. I might call a deity of war to help gain success in a business venture (depending on the deity, there are many approaches to war and many gods of war) and a deity of wisdom may help find and act on proper medical advice or may choose to guide a surgeon's hands. It's never good to stick Powers in too small a box. Even without venturing a half step outside what we commonly consider their purview, Powers can act in a number of entertaining ways.
          "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
          ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
            I'd ask for wealth from a war god. War is pillaging, economy and jobs. Tons of wealth comes from war.
            In some point yeah. But personally I prefer to achieve it in peaceful ways. Plus, there is mental wealth as well as economical.

- - - Updated - - -

On second thought - you're right here.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            I don't know. I might call a deity of war to help gain success in a business venture (depending on the deity, there are many approaches to war and many gods of war) and a deity of wisdom may help find and act on proper medical advice or may choose to guide a surgeon's hands. It's never good to stick Powers in too small a box. Even without venturing a half step outside what we commonly consider their purview, Powers can act in a number of entertaining ways.
            When considering that they are still deities and have a huge range of powers and influences - yeah. I feel I should thank you for your comment. So, thanks.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

In some point yeah. But personally I prefer to achieve it in peaceful ways. Plus, there is mental wealth as well as economical.

- - - Updated - - -

On second thought - you're right here.

- - - Updated - - -

When considering that they are still deities and have a huge range of powers and influences - yeah. I feel I should thank you for your comment. So, thanks.
              bah, you actually covered my point with the reminder that they are still deities with a number of interesting abilities. I just felt like adding that even their known purviews shouldn't be viewed too narrowly.
              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I am now going to proceed to ask Odin for wealth.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  bah, you actually covered my point with the reminder that they are still deities with a number of interesting abilities. I just felt like adding that even their known purviews shouldn't be viewed too narrowly.
                  Now I realize that I have been doing this mistake for a very long time.

Comment

I ask myself, I am my own God. I get stuff done when I'm asked nicely by myself.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                      I ask myself, I am my own God. I get stuff done when I'm asked nicely by myself.
                      Wish that worked for me
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by masonofthegods View Post
                        I try not to. A God of Protection may be able to relay your request to a God of Good fortune, or of Knowledge, or what have you, but ultimately that specific deity will not be unable to directly assist you with a matter they have no influence over.

In my opinion, it may be better to speak to the relevant God(dess) directly. For example, I would not go to Susanoo-no-Mikoto (God of Storms) to make a request related to hosting a party - which would be in the realm of Ame-no-Uzume-no-Mikoto (Goddess of the dawn, of mirth, and of revelry).

I feel like it might also be somewhat disrespectful to the God(dess), in some ways, if you know this is outside of their domain, since it would highlight an area where they would be unable to assist you, and be forced to redirect your request for you when you could have done it yourself. I'm not saying this as eloquently as I feel I should, but hopefully it gets the message across.

Comment

I think it'd be rude to assume a god/goddess only has power over one area, just because they are known for that area. A deity is so powerful that I don't see why they couldn't influence all kinds of things, they are above us in every way usually. It's just like a human carpenter might be good at electrical too.
                          sigpic
                          In Days of yore,
                          From Britain's shore
                          On Canada's fair domain.
                          Here may it wave,
                          Our boast, our pride
                          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I don't think a deity is necessarily limited to what they favor. After all, in ancient times a lot of deities took on new roles as time went on, and some may have lost previous roles, or different locations saw the same deity in different (and perhaps conflicting) aspects, depending on the local need. So I do think it is possible to ask for help with something that may not be specifically their area. That said, I also don't think it's necessarily wrong to petition a deity who might be more fitting to your issue - and depending on the deity and issue, it may even be the better choice. I think it's one of those things where context really matters.
                            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I think asking out of a gods dominion won't reap the same rewards as asking for something in there power for example you wouldn't ask Odin for help in your love life but if you flip it and ask what should be done to help your relationship then it should have netter results since Odin is a god of wisdom . I think it really depends on what and how u ask them.
                              Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Working...
                              X