This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you turn a Deity down?

Say you start to see signs or have dreams or things like that seem to be pointing in the direction of a certain Deity, like they are trying to connect with you. What would you do if, for whatever reason, you don't want to work with/worship that Deity? Should you let the phone keep ringing, or should you pick it up and let them know (respectfully of course) that you appreciate the gesture but your not interested? Sorry if this seems like a silly question but I thought about that today.

Re: Can you turn a Deity down?

Truthfully i've seen both approaches used. Usually with about the same amount of success in either avoiding one or being told they are not given the option to choose. A lot of it depends upon the god / goddess or entity in question.

My personal belief is that no god / goddess wants someone who does not believe in them as it is a waste of their time. Sort of like why surround yourself with people who don't care about you to begin with and you know only want you on occasions when it benefits them. Though sad to say I can see why many would think it correct considering how many live their physical lives in that condition.

I do think it allowable and appropriate to tell a god / goddess not right now as they scare, intimidate or appear to dominating to you to allow you to connect with them. Many of the so called dark gods, ie Loki, Set etc fall into that as do goddesses such as Kali, Hekate. So I think they are used to being told not right now or no thank you.

That again though does not mean they may not select you and give you no other choice, or lay claim but not actively act upon that claim until some time later.

Though the critical aspect here is that I think one first has to believe in them and that they do in fact exist. Other wise its simply a though form and for some that means they simply choose to not think about it.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'd say if you don't feel comfortable working with a deity for whatever reason, then don't! politely telling them no seems like a good way to go. but you should make sure to be respectful, because you don't want to anger them (speaking as a person who has angered certain gods in the past, this is really something you want to avoid doing)

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post

Though the critical aspect here is that I think one first has to believe in them and that they do in fact exist. Other wise its simply a though form and for some that means they simply choose to not think about it.
        interesting. Do you think Gods/Goddesses would come to a person who believes that Gods/Goddesses are just facets (or personifications of small parts) of something larger?

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
        I'd say if you don't feel comfortable working with a deity for whatever reason, then don't! politely telling them no seems like a good way to go. but you should make sure to be respectful, because you don't want to anger them (speaking as a person who has angered certain gods in the past, this is really something you want to avoid doing)
        What would you suggest as respectful ways to say no? Offerings maybe? Or would that just invite them?

Comment

Is this purely hypothetical or is there a specific deity in question?
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

You can always refuse. The deity in question (or in some cases, entire pantheons) can then block your path or generally make a nuisance of themself/ves.

Maybe I've just had a hard life, and made a lot of bad judgment calls and failures, but... sometimes I feel like a lot of the unforseen obstacles that have risen up in front of me are because I said no to a certain path & stuck to my guns.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Its just hypothetical. I was genuinely interested in this, because theres a lot of talk about Gods/Goddesses picking you but not a lot of talk about telling them you don't want to be picked.

Comment

Works.

You can always refuse and I think I'd prefer a formal and polite no the first time. If that no is refused too blatantly then life becomes interesting. Strong relations with another deity might help here because it provides you an ally that can say No in far more pointed and emphatic terms than you can on your own but I haven't had to deal directly with this issue to speak from personal experience.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by miss_mc View Post
                  interesting. Do you think Gods/Goddesses would come to a person who believes that Gods/Goddesses are just facets (or personifications of small parts) of something larger?
                  Truthfully yes I do. Many time I find it doesn't matter if I believe in something for it to affect / effect me. That and some divinity I think get a thrill out of pushing in your face and saying "Do you believe now!"

Of course you could always be like Ulysses and get Poseidon irate at you and see just how much a god / goddess can impact upon your life.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

What would you suggest as respectful ways to say no? Offerings maybe? Or would that just invite them?
                    When I have done so, I just politely turned them down just like you'd politely turn down anyone else's offer. However you speak to your gods, I'd use that same method, and just politely tell the one who's been contacting you that you don't want to work with them

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    Works.

You can always refuse and I think I'd prefer a formal and polite no the first time. If that no is refused too blatantly then life becomes interesting. Strong relations with another deity might help here because it provides you an ally that can say No in far more pointed and emphatic terms than you can on your own but I haven't had to deal directly with this issue to speak from personal experience.
                    This is also a good point. If a god is angry at you, it is ALWAYS helpful to have another god who will help you out. Sometimes several. I got Apollo and Artemis to help me with a Zeus problem a few times. I have another friend who got Odin to help him with Zeus.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course you could always be like Ulysses and get Poseidon irate at you and see just how much a god / goddess can impact upon your life.
                    do NOT purposefully anger a god. it won't work out.

Comment

Lets not re-enact the Odyssey if at all possible. I mean, the "Nobody!" jokes might be worth it.... But don't
                      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                        Lets not re-enact the Odyssey if at all possible. I mean, the "Nobody!" jokes might be worth it.... But don't
                        It took far too long for me to remember that reference. Well done.

Comment

Like most people have said, you can turn down an offer by a God(dess) to work with them, but be sure to do so respectfully. Imagine their your employer when you speak to them, for example.

Respect and sincerity in your words are crucial, but this is just my opinion.

Comment

Say you start to see signs or have dreams or things like that seem to be pointing in the direction of a certain Deity, like they are trying to connect with you. What would you do if, for whatever reason, you don't want to work with/worship that Deity? Should you let the phone keep ringing, or should you pick it up and let them know (respectfully of course) that you appreciate the gesture but your not interested? Sorry if this seems like a silly question but I thought about that today.
                            I would pick up the phone and refuse respectfully. But maybe the deity doesn't want to work with you, but to warn you about something.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

In my own experience, deities are not doing a Don Corleone and making us an offer we can't refuse. They tend to offer an invitation - that we can accept or refuse. Before that, they tend to make themselves known in our lives so that we will know exactly what we are accepting or refusing.

Obviously this is just my own experience, and others may differ quite a bit.
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X