This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a Specific Property of Some Herbs

I have been researching herbal correspondences in books and the internet. I've noticed one property listed for some herbs that I'm a bit confused on. I can't seem to find an answer through searches on the internet and I didn't notice any threads about this subject, so hopefully someone can help me with it.

For some herbs, the property "exorcism" is listed. I have always been under the impression that exorcism means to expel a demonic entity from a person/place. I don't believe in demons. I do believe that there are negative entities out there, but they're not what some people call "demons." Is there another meaning to the term exorcism that is generally used by those who follow a pagan-type path? Or is the property "exorcism" put in the correspondences simply because it is a generally accepted property of that herb by most people?

I guess, basically, is my definition of exorcism accurate, and if it is, then since I don't believe in demons (hence nothing to exorcise), that particular property would be one I would disregard? Or, does exorcism have a meaning that is more tied to paganism that would make it more relevant to me?

I would definitely appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thanks!

Re: Question about a Specific Property of Some Herbs

I have a question. Which herbs are they, and is this in reference to their metaphysical properties/magical properties, or their medicinal qualities?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Arella View Post
      I have always been under the impression that exorcism means to expel a demonic entity from a person/place. I don't believe in demons. I do believe that there are negative entities out there, but they're not what some people call "demons."
      Unless you're looking at a particular context (like, specifically discussing exorcism in Christianity), I think it sort of comes down to using different terms to describe similar things. Your negative entity might be what someone else calls a demon, and of course what one person calls a demon may be different from what another would call a demon. Some might say an exorcism is removing any unwanted entity from a place or person, but other pagans might call that banishing, or another such term.
      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Generally, magical properties for herbs indicate what a(n) herb can be used for, or would be appropriate for - but your intention over-rides extra properties.

For example, dragon's blood resin is used in a lot of incenses & oils to add power & strength to the mix. It's also said to give potency to men. However, if you're hexing some guy with impotence, and you add dragon's blood to the spell ingredients to make the spell more powerful, it's going to add its strength and power to your intentions, not his manhood.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
          Generally, magical properties for herbs indicate what a(n) herb can be used for, or would be appropriate for - but your intention over-rides extra properties.

For example, dragon's blood resin is used in a lot of incenses & oils to add power & strength to the mix. It's also said to give potency to men. However, if you're hexing some guy with impotence, and you add dragon's blood to the spell ingredients to make the spell more powerful, it's going to add its strength and power to your intentions, not his manhood.
          (OT, just noticed you have 3000 posts Ophidia, congratz! X)
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            I have a question. Which herbs are they, and is this in reference to their metaphysical properties/magical properties, or their medicinal qualities?
            In reference to their metaphysical properties. A few examples are basil, clove, cumin, and garlic. There are more, but these are an example. I got this from Scott Cunningham's Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, but I have seen this in other correspondence tables in other books and on various websites. I know I listed examples of what could be called common "kitchen" herbs, and that's because I like the idea of using herbs that I can get easily and I like the idea of using herbs in cooking (not just ritual/spellwork) based on their magical properties.

- - - Updated - - -

As for medicinal properties, I'm not looking into that too much right now. I feel there are too many chances of something going wrong medicinally since some herbs can be problematic to certain individuals. That's an area I won't just dabble in. I would want to get a good amount of knowledge before doing anything like that.

Comment

Working...
            X